Balanced XLR to 3.5mm audio jack? Possible?

P

panos_lympe

Audiophyte
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I recently purchased two KRK rokit 5 g4 monitors… I want to connect these monitors to my laptop using XLR to 3.5mm audio jack…

I found this cable,
but it nowhere mentions that is balanced..

how do I tell if it is? Is it possible to be?
Those cables do have XLR connectors, but no cables are balanced. It is the devices these cables connect that can be balanced.

However, it takes more than XLR connections to achieve a balanced system. A balanced electronic device requires balanced internal circuitry, and a truly balanced connection requires balanced circuitry on two devices. For example, a balanced pre-amp and a balanced amplifier.

I doubt if those speakers have truly balanced inputs, but I might be wrong. But, I'm rather certain most laptops do not have balanced audio outputs.

Last edited:
P

panos_lympe

Audiophyte
So , what you are guys saying is that I can’t have a balanced audio with just a cable … whatever cable that is ..

ok fair enough…

so what would you suggest buying to achieve my goal? (both sound card and cables)… if those are budget solutions , even better!!!

all I have a laptop and KRK’s..

I can’t thank you more for your time! I am really grateful

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I needed a cable like that for my active speakers (JBL LSR305) I used a 3.5 to rcax2 I had on hand then made separately two rca to xlr cables. I'd try the simplest solution first, using an adapter type cable between the dissimilar ports. As was mentioned, the speakers may have an XLR input but may not be balanced otherwise, so don't sweat it too much. How long a cable do you need? Unbalanced should be fine unless you have need for a very long cable....

ps Monoprice has a lot of choices, too....or even Amazon.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi all,

I recently purchased two KRK rokit 5 g4 monitors…

I want to connect these monitors to my laptop using XLR to 3.5mm audio jack…

I found this cable,

but it nowhere mentions that is balanced..

how do I tell if it is?

Is it possible to be?

thanks in advance
A cable like that will transmit the signal, but it isn't at all optimal for speakers like the KRKs. One problem is that the analog output on your laptop is almost certainly garbage. The KRKs' inputs are very sensitive and are going to make the noise very audible. What makes matter worse is that balanced inputs expect about 14dBu more input voltage than what normal unbalanced consumer outputs deliver. That means the noise from your laptop 3.5mm output is going to be amplified by 14dB going to a balanced connection with no compensation, like what a passive adapter would do (such as that cable). You need an audio interface or a DAC that has clean, balanced outputs for those speakers. Look at PreSonus, FocusRite, MOTU, etc. (skip Behringer, those can be fairly noisy). You can also just get a DAC with a USB input and balanced outputs like some of the Topping DACs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah one advantage my JBL LSR305s have is the ability to accommodate the different input levels, don't see that on the Rokit.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
On a balanced interconnect system:
balanced output stage >> balanced cable >> balanced input stage.
it takes all three.

P

panos_lympe

Audiophyte
@lovingthehd nah my krks have balanced inputs it says so under the input itself..

last question kinda out of topic..

As a total newbie that I am , I disconnected the speakers while they were ON , and a friend of mine saw me and told me “DONT YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN”..

I have done this 4-5 times..

you think that I maybe damaged permanently my /very/ expensive monitors?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many subs say they have a "crossover" but only have a low pass filter. It may or may not be a balanced unit despite the label....and it really doesn't matter anyways.

Yes, I would not connect/disconnect gear under power, just no reason to. Bad things can happen....

P

panos_lympe

Audiophyte
Bad thing /can/ happen… but bad things DID happen? I mean… it’s something That you can rely on luck? Or I destroyed my KRKs without noticing?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do the speakers still work properly? Then they're not destroyed. If they stopped working or dropped level significantly then maybe worry.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis