Bad Luck with DENON REPAIR

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, you know how unlucky I've been this year with Denon refurbs.

Well, my brother bought a refurb Denon 2808 from eCost almost 90 days ago.

The HDMI output decided to malfunction.

Since it was still under warranty (barely), he sent it in to Panurgy OEM Denon Factory Repair - their main factory repair center in New Jersey.

2 weeks later, he got the AVR back. He hooked it up and there still was NO HDMI output, even though the paper says they replaced the HDMI board and all that.

I even came over to help him out. Everything was set up correctly. After over an hour of tinkering, we smell this burn smell from the AVR! Then smoke! Of course, I immediately unplugged the AVR from the outlet.

He called Panurgy and they confirmed that they had "fully tested" his AVR before sending it back to my brother.

So the only thing he can do is to spend yet another $50 to send it back to another Repair Center!

Now I know why eCost & Dakmart have all those bad refurbished Denons!

If their MAIN OEM FACTORY repair center is this pathetic, imagine the rest of their lowly repair centers!

Another bad reputation for Denon!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay, you know how unlucky I've been this year with Denon refurbs.

Well, my brother bought a refurb Denon 2808 from eCost almost 90 days ago.

The HDMI output decided to malfunction.

Since it was still under warranty (barely), he sent it in to Panurgy OEM Denon Factory Repair - their main factory repair center in New Jersey.

2 weeks later, he got the AVR back. He hooked it up and there still was NO HDMI output, even though the paper says they replaced the HDMI board and all that.

I even came over to help him out. Everything was set up correctly. After over an hour of tinkering, we smell this burn smell from the AVR! Then smoke! Of course, I immediately unplugged the AVR from the outlet.

He called Panurgy and they confirmed that they had "fully tested" his AVR before sending it back to my brother.

...!
Sorry about the troubles:(
Did you tell the original repair center that the unit caught on fire? By chance call Denon and tell them about this center and the unit catching on fire? I'd escalate with Denon.:eek:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I guess this is where the refurbished units that eCost gets are coming from. So then maybe eCost is not to blame for all your bad luck with refurbished Denons, but Denon is actually at fault. Maybe the thing to do is not to buy refurbished units anymore, or quit buying Denon altogether.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have posted complaints about my Marantz blu-ray player here. I have just got it back for the second time. Luckily for me, the repair shop offered a 90 day warranty on their repair.(which I don't think they did the first time)

Mine wasn't a refurb.

D&M Holdings just isn't for me. I am all Yamaha, although I have been known to stray.:eek:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry about the troubles:(
Did you tell the original repair center that the unit caught on fire? By chance call Denon and tell them about this center and the unit catching on fire? I'd escalate with Denon.:eek:
I told both the repair center and Denon support. They both just said to send the unit back for repair. I even ask if they would cover the shipping since they did not fix it the first time. They said NO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe the thing to do is not to buy refurbished units anymore, or quit buying Denon altogether.
No more refurbs for me and no more recommendations for refurbs from me!:D

I think the best thing to do is just buy from Best Buy and get their extended 5yr warranty. That way if something happens, you can just bring it directly to Best Buy.

Or unless the repair center for whichever make is close to where you live.

If only there were a Denon repair center close to me.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I think the best thing to do is just buy from Best Buy and get their extended 5yr warranty. That way if something happens, you can just bring it directly to Best Buy.
Best Buy sells quality audio?:rolleyes:

Buy an extended warranty?:eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

They sell Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer just like most places.

As long as the warranty can take care of you immediately like being able to bring it directly to them and have them pay for all the shipping, etc.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
They sell Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer just like most places.
You must mean Magnolia. My local BB just carries low-end junk that can be found for a fraction of the cost from authorized etailers.

All I can recommend is to try a quality Yamaha product next. I know it's hard to face facts sometimes, but Denon and Marantz are having issues.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai

Best Buy has The Pioneer Elite , Some higher end Onkyo and always some really nice Yamaha to boot, I especially like the Pio SC 37 :)

* missed your post^ yes I do refer to The Magnolia Center as well.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You must mean Magnolia. My local BB just carries low-end junk that can be found for a fraction of the cost from authorized etailers.

All I can recommend is to try a quality Yamaha product next. I know it's hard to face facts sometimes, but Denon and Marantz are having issues.
Yeah, I am kind of in DENIAL.:D

I think you can understand why since I own a Denon AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI.:D

My local Best Buy (NOT Magnolia since they are only in Tulsa, not Oklahoma City) carry Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Denon 4311, Yamaha, Harman Kardon. They even carry the $4K JVC projectors. Not cheap stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis