Back to the speakers for my 3805

tenerifepaul

tenerifepaul

Audioholic Intern
After the advice recieved on this forum, I think I have finally settled on the following as my new surround combination:
Front BW 703's, back BW 70's, centre HTM7, sub ASW 700. Any comments?

One question that remains unanswered. A number of people have suggested not using the 3805 to drive all the speakers, but to use an additional amp for the fronts. I still have my Onkyo TX-DS656, would it suffice for this purpose.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Why not use the power you paid for to run the speakers? Unless you have very inefficient speakers (less than 88dB or so), or you are trying to fill a huge room with big sound, the 3805 should do just fine. I had a 3802 until a few weeks ago, and it would run my paradigm 11semk3 (dual 8" woofers, 6.5" mid, 1" dome tweeter) speakers loud enough without clipping. They are 88-90dB efficient, and they are rated at 6 ohms. I would typically run the volume at -10 dB when I wanted to experience a movie at movie theater levels. Never noticed any compression or break up sound to indicate clipping.

P

perato

Audioholic Intern
I agree with crashguy. Try using the 3805, if you feel you need more power then use the Onkyo TX-DS656. I am not familiar with that Onkyo model but if it is within the power rating of the 703 it should work. I use B&W 705 as front, HTM7 as center, DS7 as rear, and ASW 650 for the subwoofer. From what I have read in these forums, you might want to check out HSU, Velodyne, and SVS subwoofers. They are well liked on the forums. I think subwoofers are the weekest part the B&W speaker product lines. You probably could get a better value from HSU, Velodyne, or SVS. The subwoofer I have is okay, it works, but I think I could have paid less for the same performance. The rest of the B&W speakers I have are very good, especially the 705.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Love those 705's & 703's. I auditioned the 705's, 805's, 703's, & 803's. All were the best speakers I have ever heard. However, to get their full potential, they need some juice! Look for a 2-channel amp for the 703's. Buy a cheaper sub as recommended, and put the money saved towards a good amp. :)

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Hey Paul-
By all means start out driving the 703s with the receiver and you'll never have a problem with them...but I'll tell you right now that unless you push them you'll never know how good they can sound. Crashguy makes a good point-why not use the power you paid for? The simple answer is that with 5 channels driven (& its 7 if you bi-amp Zone 3) you're pushing no more than about 77 watts/channel-and those 703s are rated for 200w...you're just spreading the power too thin. Now if you use a separate 2 channel amp for the fronts (minimum 150 wpc) you'll have plenty of headroom for crisp music and impressive movies. Plus you'll free up the power that *was* going to the front channels-now your center and surrounds will have some pop to them as well.

Bryan...and used 2 channel amps aren't *that* expensive...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis