Back into the hobby after a 10+year break... Whats my next move?

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Ill list the equipment I am using and it will probably prove Ive been out of the loop for 10+year.
I am using a Onkyo 876 into a SVS 5.1 system with STS-01 Towers and Outlaw LMF1-EX sub.

Anyhow The HDMIs on the Onkya are not comparable with the newer hires video. That isn't a huge deal, I only have one video source, a PS4. It is routed straight to the display. Audio on the other hand is my current bottle neck. For the time being I am using S/PDIF.

I have the bug to upgrade.. I really would like to get some better looking and better performing speakers and climate the need for the huge ugly subwoofer. something like Polk LSIM, GoldenEar Triton, Tekton DIs, Vintage RF7s.. you get the idea.

I have no problems with the Onkyo and don't really intend to replace it. I have thought about adding a amplifier. I am hoping to score a local secondhand deal on a 5ch Emotiva. I guess my problem with that upgrade is, the Onkyo is "rated" for something like 140W per ch. In order to get a separate power amp with on paper specs that are better than that they are pricey.

My second idea is Ive noticed it seems you no longer need to spend big bucks to get a feature packed AVR. Technology has prevailed! For the cost of a separate power amp I could pick up a great AVR what will do all the current A/V protocols..

Just wondering what you guys think?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Some stuff to look at
Feature Packed
Amps don't have to be expensive
Your Up-Grade

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Some stuff to look at
Feature Packed
Amps don't have to be expensive
Your Up-Grade
Thanks!

If I do mono blocks is it worth while to amplify the surrounds?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Want to get away from SVS here you go

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subwoofers may not be pretty but they generally are better tools for the job than most speakers are. Speakers with "built-in subs" are generally meh and do not allow the flexibility of proper sub positioning for the room. The power output of your avr is likely just fine, a 200wpc amp over your avr is about 1.5dB advantage.....not much. Settle on the speakers as to what they require before committing to an external amp assuming you get a similar avr with modern features/connectivity (keep in mind you can get a good feature set/connectivity avr but it may have a lesser amp section until you do go up the ladder somewhat....140/150wpc avrs tend to be the flagship models).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis