Back and Ready to design!

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Greeting Guys! Last time I posted on here I was leaving for USAF bmt. Wel, almost two years later and many travels we are situated, new ventures ahead and it seems the new house needs a av system!!! What's new in the world? As I didn't know when or where we would be I got rid of everything so looking to start over. We have 2 young kids so I'm leery of floor standing speakers but who knows. I think I'm going to look at the Samsung tvs or maybe an LG oled. That aside, what's good in the sound world. I'm wanting a setup for movies mostly, tv viewing. I'm heading to a much bigger city on Sunday so I may make purchases then unless there are some online companies worthy (htd?). Appreciate any and all discussions and advice. Look forward to being on the forum again!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
a) Don't get LG TV.
b) best buck around right now with these speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
c) subs - pretty unchanged - SVS, HSU, Rythmic, Outlaw.
Few new boys on the block:
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/
both test very well
d) avr: Onkyo still ducks. Denon is imo the king of the hill now and Yamaha trying to catch up
Amazon Warehouse deals on b-stock X1000, X2000, X3000 and X4000 are best deals around (if they still have them)
Hey thanks for the reply. Do have a question about those speakers. Are they "good" speakers, or are they "good" for cheap speakers. I do like denon:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
they are great for price. They are good vs speakers x2 the price. There are better speakers if you your budget allows that. Ascend 340SE for example or Salk SoundScape 8 :rolleyes:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Welcome back!
You don't mention budget, and that certainly is a factor.
Personally, if looking to spend more than the price of the AA's, I'd consider the Philharmonitors the next sweet spot. I think Dennis Murphy has a monopoly on quality sound at reasonable prices! These use the legendary Raal tweeter (generally considered among the very best production tweeters)

The AA'S are a great price on a very good speaker.

Some of this may have started before you left, but as far as what is new...
Instead of throwing together a bunch of pieces to make another entry level speaker, Pioneer tasked their lead speaker designer (generally worked on Pioneer's TAD speakers at up to $60,000!) to design a budget speaker.
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs
These speakers are noteworthy because their MSRP is so low that I don't believe even DIY can touch them! A true example of volume discounts - Pioneer can get a custom designed curved cabinet for cheap when selling so many and the same is true of the custom drivers. Furthermore, Pioneer based their price on a set profit margin instead of finding out what competitors are charging for comparable sounding speakers.
Enter Dennis Murphy, who designs crossovers for many of Jim Salk's speakers, has been on the DIY scene for awhile, and who started Philharmonic Audio. Dennis realized that while the Pioneers were great speakers for their price, he could swap out the tweeters and fine-tune the crossover to produce a decidedly better speaker at roughly a 50% price increase, resulting in a speaker that is better than anything else near the price. These are the speakers being recommended to you.
One reason I am posting this is because the Pioneers are at BestBuy and you may want to check them out for appearance (decent, but not a "for show" speaker) and sound, knowing the AA's will sound better.
Sony has also entered the fray with their response to the Pioneers, their Core Series speaker which is also sold at BestBuy. These are purported to sound better than the Pioneers, but do not compete with the AA's despite costing more.

It may be a character flaw on my part, but I would be tempted to call Dennis, get a pair of bookshelves on the way, and depending on the lead time, buy a pair of Pioneers or Sonys from BB (while carefully verifying their returns policy). This way you can be up and running (as soon as you get an AVR) and see what things look and sound like in your new room. And someone will have the opportunity to buy a pair of decent speaker at a little discount because you returned them.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Hey all thanks for the inputs. So as an update I purchased the Samsung 8550 in an 65", it's awesome I love it. I am thinking I'll get ahold of Dennis today and get the speakers, these aren't my "forever" speakers but will do just fine I believe for many many years. I'm going to get the towers and center. I haven't looked at subs much but when I was in the industry years ago I dealt with paradigm a lot and always thought their sins were a bit overpriced. How will these speakers compare with the likes of a monitor tower? Also, I really have an interest in Denon, any recommendations there? Just for reference its a long rectangular room approximately 30 ft by 15 feet with the wall where tv is located having a small bar area off to the side. How big of a sub may I need to get properly fill that space. My couch is about 12 feet back from tv. Sorry about all the rambling just want to get it set up nicely and have forgotten a lot of what I knew. Any help is appreciated!

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I can't wait to post up pictures and a review of all this, love seeing others guess it's my turn now!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't looked at subs much but when I was in the industry years ago I dealt with paradigm a lot and always thought their sins were a bit overpriced. Also, I really have an interest in Denon, any recommendations there? Just for reference its a long rectangular room approximately 30 ft by 15 feet with the wall where tv is located having a small bar area off to the side.
How much budget for the Denon and a nice subwoofer?

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
How much budget for the Denon and a nice subwoofer?
So I actually went with the Yamaha 1030, got a really good price. Speakers from Dennis have shipped. Now trying to decide on a sub, want to order tidy as everything else will be here Saturday. I really like the outlaw ultra-x12 on paper but is that for me? I don't know that I will crank it much as the room is right below my kids room. I really need help with a sub guys, I honestly cannot decide. I won't go more than $800, which includes the outlaw. It needs to be down firing as the kids are young. Please help!!!!!!

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So I actually went with the Yamaha 1030, got a really good price. Speakers from Dennis have shipped. Now trying to decide on a sub, want to order tidy as everything else will be here Saturday. I really like the outlaw ultra-x12 on paper but is that for me? I don't know that I will crank it much as the room is right below my kids room. I really need help with a sub guys, I honestly cannot decide. I won't go more than $800, which includes the outlaw. It needs to be down firing as the kids are young. Please help!!!!!!
Only you can decide - however, the Outlaw looks fine to me
and for a limited time has free shipping
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Outlaw ordered!

Outlaw ordered! Should have receiver, speakers and wiring by Saturday snd subwoofer by Tuesday. Man I'm excited! I'll post pics and maybe a video.
Good call - please do get back with us.

Enjoy your new audio adventure.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Hello Again!!! So go back to where I previously left off, the new system is amazing, i will post some pictures tonight to show everyone, I could not be happier!!! All of your recommendations were very helpful. I am having on issue and was looking for some guidance. I have the Direct tv box and the xbox one into the Yamaha then HDMI to my tv. I have rented some 4k content but am having issues with the receiver. When i take the hdmi from the direct tv box to tv, it works, when I feed it into the receiver then to tv it says my television does not support 4k content. I have mixed and matched hdmi's, that is not the issue, they are all compatible. I have set my video inputs to through on the receiver, but that doesn't work. Any suggestions, I am very frustrated.

Thanks,

AC

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Lol, we're all very frustrated with 4K! Standardization in this industry does not exist.

What receiver, and what TV?

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
So my receiver is a Yamaha RX-A1030 and my tv is a Samsung un65hu8550. It works if I bypass the receiver but I really don't want to do that and keep switching inputs all the time. I think I've tried all of the receiver settings and I've updated it, no luck.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you've updated it to the latest firmware, that's all I had.
I read where that resolved a similar problem elsewhere (on a Denon, I think).
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I think you can fairly say that you are on the "bleeding edge" of 4K technology!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis