T

thephatp

Enthusiast
Which is better, B&W or Klipsch?

I'm not too knowledgable of home audio--pretty much a newbie. I'm looking to piece together a decent system, but within a budget. For a receiver, I'm trying to choose between the Denon 2805 and the Onkyo SR-702 (planning on 7.1). What is the best match for these two receivers as far as B&W or Klipsch speakers go? Is there any other brand of speakers I should look at that might sound good with one/both of the receivers listed above?

I'm shooting for around $1500 or so. I've entertained the though of the 2805 with the B&W 300 series. Also, I've seen someone on this forum (I think) who has the 2805 and the B&W 600 series. How does this sound? Will the 2805 push the 600 series in 7.1?

I've also heard Klipsch is really good as well. There website isn't so clear about the matching systems (like B&W 300, or 600, etc). What could I push with the 2805 in Klipsch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
Both B&W and Klipsch make good quality speakers, you just need to listen to both and determine which ones in your budget you like better. I have a pair of B&W DM601S3 and they are good but I'm not in love with them. I don't know about Klipsch but with B&W placement too close to a side or rear wall will destroy the sound. That's why I don't love my set b/c I have no choice but to place them too close to a rear wall (9" is as far as I can get them away from the wall). Without the port plug they are muddy and have a terrible image...pull them out to 18" and they sound great. I tried the port plug and it fixes the boomy bass but overall makes the setup sound worse. I tried my slightly more expensive NHT SB3's in the same location and they sounded much better...so you room and placement limitations should have an effect on what speakers you choose. Find a dealer with a good return policy so you can try the speakers at home and return if the results are not to your liking. The dealer that sold me my B&Ws has ordered me a pair of DynAudio Audience 52s to try next, once they arrive I they will take back the B&Ws and credit me toward the Dyns...If I don't like the Dyns in this location I will get another set of NHTs.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
thephatp said:
Which is better, B&W or Klipsch?

I'm not too knowledgable of home audio--pretty much a newbie. I'm looking to piece together a decent system, but within a budget. For a receiver, I'm trying to choose between the Denon 2805 and the Onkyo SR-702 (planning on 7.1). What is the best match for these two receivers as far as B&W or Klipsch speakers go? Is there any other brand of speakers I should look at that might sound good with one/both of the receivers listed above?

I'm shooting for around $1500 or so. I've entertained the though of the 2805 with the B&W 300 series. Also, I've seen someone on this forum (I think) who has the 2805 and the B&W 600 series. How does this sound? Will the 2805 push the 600 series in 7.1?

I've also heard Klipsch is really good as well. There website isn't so clear about the matching systems (like B&W 300, or 600, etc). What could I push with the 2805 in Klipsch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
2805 and 602's for mains and surrounds with a sub would be nice. Dont care for Klipsch horns as tweeters.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
You are way better off going with the B&W setup. The Klipsh are very bright, almost to the point of painful. They have good bass, but I think it’s boomy. If you like a brighter speaker, I would recommend the BIC acoustec setup. I believe it sounds better than the Klipsh products for about 1/2 the price. It's all about your personal taste. Also an important consideration is the room acoustics (hard floors, wall treatment etc.) This will have a drastic effect on how any of these sound in your house. The 2805 will drive about anything. I wouldn’t recommend it for any of the Polks though.

T

thephatp

Enthusiast
MacManNM said:
You are way better off going with the B&W setup. The Klipsh are very bright, almost to the point of painful. They have good bass, but I think it’s boomy. If you like a brighter speaker, I would recommend the BIC acoustec setup. I believe it sounds better than the Klipsh products for about 1/2 the price. It's all about your personal taste. Also an important consideration is the room acoustics (hard floors, wall treatment etc.) This will have a drastic effect on how any of these sound in your house. The 2805 will drive about anything. I wouldn’t recommend it for any of the Polks though.
Hey MacMan, thanks for the advice. I haven't been in this long enough to really know much of a difference between what's "bright" sounding and what's not. In fact, I haven't listened to much at all. But that's why I'm asking for advice from people that have!

I've searched the forum for more info on the Acoustech speakers, and it sounds like they really are good bang for the buck! And if they do sound really great, I might be better off going that way first and saving some money to start piecing together a really nice system in the future (replacing one pair at a time).

Do you know of any places that have Acoustech speakers to audition? I would like to hear them and experience it for myself. Is there anything else I should know about them? How do they fare in terms of music? My wife and I listen to a lot of music, so I'd like our speakers to compliment that as well.

Also, what about surround (middle) speakers? It looks like the Acoustech set is 5.1 and doesn't include middle surround (at least from what I've seen on the net). Does Acoustech make a good surround to go with this system? If not, what should I look for to make up the middle surrounds?

One more thing, do you know of any places online where I can find the Acoustechs for the best price? I'll do some searching, but sometimes recommendations say more than searches.

Ok, and the last thing! (I almost forgot.) My area make-up. My house is fairly open floor plan. It's about 16x18, with a front wall (TV, fronts, etc), a side wall (exterior), other side half-wall (looking in dining), and open back (open to breakfast area and kitchen bar). The flooring is 100% ceramic tile (I'm sure we'll put a large rug down, though).

So what do you think about the sound in this type of room? Will the Acoustechs be enough to fill the room, or do I need to look at something with more power?

Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate it! :)

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
The Klipsh are very bright, almost to the point of painful. They have good bass, but I think it’s boomy.
Hello
I would disagree with this statement Listen to the Klipsch RF-7 series on some good equipment and let your own ears be the judge ;)

T

thephatp

Enthusiast
RLA said:
Hello
I would disagree with this statement Listen to the Klipsch RF-7 series on some good equipment and let your own ears be the judge ;)

Isn't the RF-7 Series quite expensive? I need to stay around $1500-$1700 MAX, so I'm trying to find the best for my money. Trying to balance what I can afford now vs. piecing together really nice in the future. So if that means I get something not quite as nice, almost as comparable, then it might be worth doing that and saving the difference to go higher than the 25 series (like RB-25, RS-25, RC-25, etc.), because I think that's all I can afford right now.

What do you think?

Thanks!

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
RLA said:
Hello

RLA, have you actually listened to the Klipsch Synergy III ? If you have and say they sound good, I can't beleive you are still in buisness. Those things are junk. That is my opinion. In his price range he can do way better. Lets keep things in perspective. Some of the higher priced klipsh are really good, but for us bottom feeders, we cant get there.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
FWIW, the Synergy series Klipsch speakers are NOT in the same league as the reference series. To my ears, even the reference series of 35 on down are pretty "bright" and not to my liking either. The RF5 and RF7 series are an entirely different animal.....but probably way out of the price range you're looking at. The RF7's would be better served with more horsepower than the 2805 can produce as well. JMO

Mort

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Yes lets do keep things in perspective
The Klipsch Series from the RVX line all the way up to the R-7 series are fine speakers and he can find the Reference series in his price range.
18 years of experience in the Audio industry I have heard and installed just about every speaker combo you can think of. That’s not to say I have golden ears but I think I know value when I hear it.

The Klipsch speaker is a high bang for the buck speaker that Excel’s in dynamics this is one of the most important aspects for high-end high performance home theater what you convey as bright to the point of painful other may think revealing. I think the B&W 's are dull, lack luster, uninspiring and way over priced. That’s my opinion and what my ears hear, others love them
I carry and install many lines and the Klipsch belongs right up there with the mega dollar brands Bottom line, take your own material and demo all the ones you are interested in. ;)

One more thing I am a BIC and Klipsch dealer the Acoustech speakers
are decent entry level speaker's but They are out totaly out classed by the Reference speaker IMOHO

Last edited:
Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
thephatp

Currently I am running the B&W 604S3's and an LCR600S3 with a Yami 1400 and I really like it. It is in a room that is 12x15 and I have it on the short wall. This room is open to the kitchen and somewhat to the dining room. When I turn it up it sounds good throughout the house. The 604's are front ported so if you need them pretty close to the wall it shouldn't be too bad. You can usually find the 604's for around $1200-$1300 and the center LCR600 for about $450. The rest could come at a slightly later time.

Originally, I would have liked the Focal JM Labs but they were way out of my price range.

If you are in the Maryland/Virginia are Myer Emco is having a special sale on June 15th.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
thephatp said:
Hey MacMan, thanks for the advice. I haven't been in this long enough to really know much of a difference between what's "bright" sounding and what's not. In fact, I haven't listened to much at all. But that's why I'm asking for advice from people that have!

I've searched the forum for more info on the Acoustech speakers, and it sounds like they really are good bang for the buck! And if they do sound really great, I might be better off going that way first and saving some money to start piecing together a really nice system in the future (replacing one pair at a time).

Do you know of any places that have Acoustech speakers to audition? I would like to hear them and experience it for myself. Is there anything else I should know about them? How do they fare in terms of music? My wife and I listen to a lot of music, so I'd like our speakers to compliment that as well.

Costco stores, believe it or not.

Also, what about surround (middle) speakers? It looks like the Acoustech set is 5.1 and doesn't include middle surround (at least from what I've seen on the net). Does Acoustech make a good surround to go with this system? If not, what should I look for to make up the middle surrounds?

You can buy an individual center or two surrounds for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

One more thing, do you know of any places online where I can find the Acoustechs for the best price? I'll do some searching, but sometimes recommendations say more than searches.

Costco offers the best price, but if you don't have a Costco nearby, then there are a few ebay dealers that sell them with reasonable shipping. Just pull up Acoustech on ebay. All the ratings are solid with the Acoustech dealers.

Ok, and the last thing! (I almost forgot.) My area make-up. My house is fairly open floor plan. It's about 16x18, with a front wall (TV, fronts, etc), a side wall (exterior), other side half-wall (looking in dining), and open back (open to breakfast area and kitchen bar). The flooring is 100% ceramic tile (I'm sure we'll put a large rug down, though).

So what do you think about the sound in this type of room? Will the Acoustechs be enough to fill the room, or do I need to look at something with more power?

More than plenty to fill your room. You can spend more on Klipsch, but without going with their upper end lines, why would you?

Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate it! :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32861&item=5780597551&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14992&item=5780857256&rd=1

Good luck and happy listening.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
RLA said:
Yes lets do keep things in perspective
The Klipsch Series from the RVX line all the way up to the R-7 series are fine speakers and he can find the Reference series in his price range.
18 years of experience in the Audio industry I have heard and installed just about every speaker combo you can think of. That’s not to say I have golden ears but I think I know value when I hear it.

The Klipsch speaker is a high bang for the buck speaker that Excel’s in dynamics this is one of the most important aspects for high-end high performance home theater what you convey as bright to the point of painful other may think revealing. I think the B&W 's are dull, lack luster, uninspiring and way over priced. That’s my opinion and what my ears hear, others love them
I carry and install many lines and the Klipsch belongs right up there with the mega dollar brands Bottom line, take your own material and demo all the ones you are interested in. ;)

One more thing I am a BIC and Klipsch dealer the Acoustech speakers
are decent entry level speaker's but They are out totaly out classed by the Reference speaker IMOHO
So you have listened to the Klipsch Synergy III, and you think they sound better than the BIC acoustec?

Hello McFly!!!

The B&W, you make it sound like they are junk. To be honest I have no love for the B&W speakers. I brought a set of DV84's to BB and listened to them next to the Klipsh and the 84's beat the pants off of the Klipsh Synergy III.

Have you heard a set od DV62si with the Frias crossover mod?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....(aaahh, the subject of mods enters the forum)....(think of them as "fixers").....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....guys, I'm asking some of you who have experience with mods to think along with me here....mod=modification.....

.....Bob, the guy who made my speakers, told me if I wanted to get out cheap and have a killer DVD player to do this.....

.....get a SamDung 941 online for right at 100 bucks lately, have it delivered to a friend of his in the industry who will add 2 mods to the player, and the total cost would be around 600-700 hundred to my door....there it is.....

.....I can add a little endorsement for the SamSung players.....I went with a Sony DVP-NS755V to start with about 3 years ago....at Bob's suggestion, I ordered a Samsung HD931 to get the simulation of 1028 lines....I loved it right off the bat....the picture was amazingly more vibrant with image quality....(mercy, if a discussion on photography ever broke out here, I'd be homebound reading)....anyhow, AB tests against the Sony player were only needed to check the audio....which was about 4 times better, but how do you measure that?....let's just say this....the Sony has been used since to hold a disc I need to get rid of quick without having to walk across the room and put it up in it's case.....

.....no, I don't work for SamDung either....Clint, I guess I am a Spambot, but the only thing I have to report is hands-on experience of how I might save a buck going higher up on this audio thing we're drawn to....

.....Bob says you have to let the player run non-stop for a couple of days to let the mods break-in, and then he assured me I would hear sweeter sounds....I think he meant much better results....food for thought.....

T

thephatp

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! It's really helpful to hear advice and to hear what others have to say. Here's what I have experienced as of 5:00pm today:

WEDNESDAY:

I listened to the B&W 300 and 600 series at the Home Theater Store (HTS). The 600s didn't sound so much better than the 300s to me, but maybe it was the room I was in or something. Nonetheless, not enough to pay more money for the higher line. I really liked the sound of the B&W 300s. (And I don't think it's b/c I am cheap).

FRIDAY (today):

I listened to the Klipsch 25 series and 35 series, and I wasn't impressed with either of them. The B&W seemed more clear and had a fuller sound. Of course, the room was smaller the HTS, so maybe that made a difference. I didn't ask what was driving the Klipsch systems, but the B&W were driven by the Denon 2805, which is what I'm looking at buying.

My conclusion: Listen at a few more dealers. I can't rule out the Klipsch yet, so I want to try them out at a different store. I liked the B&Ws, but again, that was in a smaller room that was very closed (the Klipsch's were auditioned in a closed room as well, but much larger). Does anyone know much about the HTS? Are they a reliable source for being honest, and giving a good representation of what a system might sound like in person?

Since I'm so new to this, I would also like to just try out the Acoustechs, just because I can get them for significantly less. If I don't hear THAT much of a difference, maybe my money is better spent there and keep the money I would save by going this direction for upgrades later (like when I could afford the Klipsch Ref 7 series). Are there any other brands I should take a look at? I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you're mentioned in any of the posts above, no need to post again, I'll find them (I'm not THAT lazy ;) ). Otherwise, please feel free to give your suggestions.

One last thing, do any of you know of a store that will install speakers (if I pay them) if I didn't buy the speakers from them? I bought some stereo speakers (recessed in-ceilling) for master bed, study, etc. at Frys a couple of months ago, and my house will be finished (building) in mid-July. I'm afraid to do the drywall cutting myself, so I'd like to find someone to do it for me if possible. If anyone has any suggestions of a store that might do it (or if you like in Austin, TX, and know of someone good), PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know. My wife really wants those up and going right after we move in. I can't blame her, I want them up too!

Thanks, again, for all the help. I'm heading out of town Sat. morning and returning Sunday night, so I don't know if I'll get to read all the posts before Sunday night. But please keep them coming!!! :)

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
FWIW, I suggested the Denon 2805 to a friend looking for a new receiver ( she has Klipsch Forte's) & they pair quite nicely. The Denon powers them easily & the sound is nice & smooth. I haven't heard it absolutely cranked but at avg listening volume.

If you're not familiar with Forte's, they were built back in the 80's & feature horns for midrange & tweeter.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zipper said:
FWIW, I suggested the Denon 2805 to a friend looking for a new receiver ( she has Klipsch Forte's) & they pair quite nicely. The Denon powers them easily & the sound is nice & smooth. I haven't heard it absolutely cranked but at avg listening volume.

If you're not familiar with Forte's, they were built back in the 80's & feature horns for midrange & tweeter.
Now those were good Klipsh speakers,

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I am currently runing Klipsch speakers across all five of ehe front channels (I use 2 presence channels with a yamaha 2500). The center is a Klipsch KT-LCR, fronts are RF-25s, presence are RB-25s. I have been a fan of Klipsch speakers for over 10 years. I like the sound the horns produce. The other very nice thing about the Klipsch line is that all their speakers are very efficient (usually 95db at 1 meter or better). This means you can drive them to very loud levels with an amp or reciever that does not produce many watts. They are brighter than other speakers, but I enjoy this brightness and feel it adds more diminsion to the soundfield. I think they excel for both movies and music. It can be hard to tell between two sets of speakers when doing comparisons in stores. A lot of times they are in different rooms like you mentioned. See if a store will get your credit card number and let you take each set home for the weekend, as this will give you a definate answer as to which setup you like better. Best Buy or the like will tell you to jump, but I assume you are a a higher end dealer if your looking at the Reference line. Sorry, I don't know much about the B&Ws, so it would be unfair to give an opinion on them. In the end, let your ears be the judge.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
So you have listened to the Klipsch Synergy III, and you think they sound better than the BIC acoustec?
No I think the new Synergy line is complete trash something that was offered to Best Buy for high profit margins.

The Reference series is the one audition The Heritage Line is Awesome I plan on doing a complete Heresy II system in one of my listening rooms the system will be Heresy II as front And center KTP-250 as surrounds and EX (this is the pro model with angled front baffle) they sound almost identical to the Heresy.

If you can find the older Heritage at a good price and build a system around that you will have one that will offer up very high performance when coupled with the correct front end. All Klipsch speakers are very reveling and they will unmask any flaw that is on the recording or the electronic's used in conjunction with them
Happy Listening
Ray

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis