B&W to Monitor Audio

E

EJC

Enthusiast
Hi all wanting to find out if moving to the Monitor Audio Silver 200/300 7G range would be a substantial upgrade from my current B&W DM603 S3?! Granted these are quite old now but still pushing strong for over 15 years!!

View attachment DM603 S3 InfoSheet 2.pdf

Currently using a Denon AVR-X4500H AV receiver which is being used for movies mostly.

Thoughts/opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'd say either of those Monitor Audio Silver speakers would be an improvement over the DM603s. I haven't heard those particular speakers, but over the years, Monitor Audio has enjoyed a good reputation.

Please note, I've never been a fan of the 'B&W sound'. I especially don't like the sound from those yellow Kevlar mid-woofers, because B&W insisted on crossing them over to the tweeter at the too-high frequency of 4,000 Hz. That allows them to generate a high-pitched shriek that becomes ear fatiguing if you listen long enough or at high volume.

After 15 years of listening to them, any new speaker will probably sound quite different to you. I can't predict whether you'll initially like the Monitor Audios. It may take some time, at least a month, before any new speaker begins to sound good to your ears.

At the listed prices of $2,100 for a pair of 200s, and $2,600 for the 300s, there are a number of other good choices. But it does depend on what is available where you live.

Your Denon AVR has plenty of power to drive either of those MA speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I auditioned both the 2018 600 series Towers and the Silver 500 and 300 (also Martin Logan Motion 40 and 60 XT(?) (forgive if I have an imprecise model number)).
I found the Martin Logans and Monitor Audios to far exceed the B&Ws in performance.
Frankly, I didn't really care for the 700s from B&W. Perhaps it was expectation cos everybody built B&W up to be an amazing standard...
I just really do not care for the B&W house sound. (That said the Stereophile measurements for that model look much better than others from B&W, though there are still some flaws)

I think I saw somewhere that they are making some changes, but my knee jerk reaction would be to move on from B&W. ;)
I prefer a much more neutral and accurate Speaker. On the other hand, you may be very used to that sound and it may be an awkward transition away from them.

At least in 2018, the Silver 300 was very impressive. The newer generation seems to be reviewing well, too. I also tend to favor a 3-way design over 2- and 2.5- way Speakers. (While it is true that a good 2-way can outperform a mediocre 3-way, a well designed 3-way will win the day over anything else when it comes to presence in the Mids.)

Depending on your habits and program material... I kinda want to recommend something completely out of left field:
Check out the Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitors.
After my auditions in 2018, and with Monitor Audio Silver 500 being my favorite, I heard Dennis' Speakers and was blown away. The BMR Monitors can hang with many towers, even, and punch well above the price point.

Other than that... I would lean heavily toward the newer MA Silver 300.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems more a lateral move to my mind.....you're in the UK? But if in US I like the recommendation of the BMRs from Philharmonic, perhaps even Salk Sound.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@EJC

Here are links to speakers in your price range from Philharmonic Audio or Salk Sound. All are highly recommended. Both are sold only by Internet Direct. They are not in any stores.

These speakers are truly excellent. We don't hesitate in recommending them. However, they are made by small companies in the USA. There will be a significant waiting time for them. Monitor Audio speakers are available in some stores, and they should involve somewhat shorter waiting times. However, pandemic shipping delays are never very predictable. But you've had your B&W speakers for 15 years, right ;)?

Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitor (stand mount 3-way) $1900 + shipping

Salk Sound SongTower $2595 (standard veneers) or $2395 (black or white satin finish) + shipping

Salk Sound SongTower II $2995 (standard veneers) or $2795 (black or white satin finish) + shipping

E

EJC

Enthusiast
Hi all thanks for all the positive feedback thus far. I am based in South Africa so Monitor Audio is fairly easy to get here along with B&W, Klipsch etc.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In your case, I'd readily recommend Monitor Audio over B&W (overpriced) and Klipsch (IMO never worth the price).

All the prices I mentioned were manufacturer's suggested retail prices in the USA.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi all thanks for all the positive feedback thus far. I am based in South Africa so Monitor Audio is fairly easy to get here along with B&W, Klipsch etc.

Yeah that can change recommendations for sure! I have no idea what else is available otoh. Got some other choices to chew on?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Monitor Audio Silver 300 for the win. ;)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all wanting to find out if moving to the Monitor Audio Silver 200/300 7G range would be a substantial upgrade from my current B&W DM603 S3?! Granted these are quite old now but still pushing strong for over 15 years!!

View attachment 57108

Currently using a Denon AVR-X4500H AV receiver which is being used for movies mostly.

Thoughts/opinions?

I promise you that the MAs will be much better then the 6 series. You might find it flat sounding at first, but that's due to the BWs being hot in the midrange. What other speakers are available to you?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis