B

Barrman4

Audiophyte
Setting up 7-1 in new house. Have 2 - B&W HTM2 centers, fronts are B&W 803D’s. Should I use BOTH centers? How do I hook them up - only 1 center channel on my Denon AVR-X4500H. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Setting up 7-1 in new house. Have 2 - B&W HTM2 centers, fronts are B&W 803D’s. Should I use BOTH centers? How do I hook them up - only 1 center channel on my Denon AVR-X4500H. Thanks!
No! One center only.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Only use 1. I don't know of anything that would use 2 center channels. I supposed you can just sell the extra one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems people ask this same question every few months.

One guy told me on this forum that his Sony AVR has connections for 2 Centers (apparently a Sony feature) so he uses 2 Centers. :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some people have reported mounting two centers (with an external amp you could do this), like above and below a projection screen but I'd just use one....

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It seems people ask this same question every few months.

One guy told me on this forum that his Sony AVR has connections for 2 Centers (apparently a Sony feature) so he uses 2 Centers. :D
I'm marking down on a calendar to bring this topic up again in 2 months. :p

We need more multiple center channel discussions. haha!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm marking down on a calendar to bring this topic up again in 2 months. :p

We need more multiple center channel discussions. haha!
And then there's that other thread on using THREE CENTERS. :D

Apparently Commercial ATMOS systems have 3 Main Front Centers like Sony's SDDS. So people want 3 Centers for their homes too since they want to "match" the commercial theaters. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
And then there's that other thread on using THREE CENTERS. :D

Apparently Commercial ATMOS systems have 3 Main Front Centers like Sony's SDDS. So people want 3 Centers for their homes too since they want to "match" the commercial theaters. :D
I guess I was under the impression that most theaters just used one giant horn loaded speaker for LCR behind the screen. Do some use 2-3 center speakers?

Was the 3 center speaker a thing of the 90's? I've just never heard of that until this topic, recently.

I know today some higher end AVR's allow for height speakers (non related to Atmos) So you could put 2-3 height speakers above your screen that are angled downwards at the seats. Same can be done all around your room. Put them above your side speakers to work that "middle" area between sides and Atmos.

R

red_5ive

Enthusiast
Man, what clickbait. I thought this was going to be a discussion on B&W.

Just giving you a hard time @Barrman4 . I'm admittedly a B&W fanboy. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I was under the impression that most theaters just used one giant horn loaded speaker for LCR behind the screen. Do some use 2-3 center speakers?

Was the 3 center speaker a thing of the 90's?
Oh yeah, SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital System) was a big deal back then. While commercial DTS and DD only had one main Center, SDDS had 3 main front centers. So I was seeking out theaters with SDDS. :D

And now apparently some commercial ATMOS (probably big IMAX) also use 3 main front center speakers like SDDS, but w/ a bunch of ceiling speakers for ATMOS.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Was the 3 center speaker a thing of the 90's? I've just never heard of that until this topic, recently.

I know today some higher end AVR's allow for height speakers (non related to Atmos) So you could put 2-3 height speakers above your screen that are angled downwards at the seats. Same can be done all around your room. Put them above your side speakers to work that "middle" area between sides and Atmos.
I think those lovely Altec and JBL speakers were outed a long time ago.

With the size of a cinema three "centers" makes sense. A cinema is a very different space to a home space. In addition pro Atmos mix for a cinema and the one for home use are totally different animals. The cinema mix can have 32 ceiling speakers for instance.

But the issue is, that if you start placing speakers within six feet of each other or less, you are setting yourself up, for unintended interactions, including comb filtering.
I like to keep an 8' spacing between speakers.

Even Dolby recommend only four ceiling speakers for all but the largest domestic space.

I followed Dolby specs and recommendations to the letter, and it works perfectly, with objects moving seamlessly in and around the room. This is a case where more is not likely better.

There are pro designers doing a lot of things in domestic spaces, running up the bill for no good purpose and actually likely creating chaos.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A center above and below the screen might only make sense with a large projection screen where there is a fair bit of separation between the speakers but even then most use just one center. If the AVR has a full set of pre-outs you can connect the center pre-out to a separate amp but two centers are more likely to cause interference with each other which is why one is preferred in home applications.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A center above and below the screen might only make sense with a large projection screen where there is a fair bit of separation between the speakers but even then most use just one center. If the AVR has a full set of pre-outs you can connect the center pre-out to a separate amp but two centers are more likely to cause interference with each other which is why one is preferred in home applications.
I've seen some Setup maps for processing that allows for multiple Centers, Wides, all the stuff...

But again, who really needs it?

This is akin to the Processing power of our normal class of AVR/AVP. Most homes don't need a dedicated VOG channel (Top Center?) but some occasional maps allow for a Center Height, and I've even seen a Back Center Height. I remember old DTS 5.1 sometimes used a Rear Center instead of Front Center.

I do get a kick out of the claims that Wides make such a huge difference in the sound field. One thread I follow on another forum has people desperately wanting DTSX Pro so they can up mix beyond 11 channels because some are shoehorning a 9-channel bed layer Atmos...

When will it end? ...or better... Where will it end?
;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis