B&W N805 on stands, how far apart?

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Hi, I currently have 683 S1 in the front, and they are about 9 to 10 feet apart in a room that is 25x14. 70% movies 30% music.
They are that far apart because in between I have to fit a 100” screen, sub and audio rack etc.
I believe the 805 nautilus would be an upgrade, but are they too small for my room?
And being about 10 feet apart from each other, would it loose sound quality, stage, performance etc?
Thanks!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
You didn’t mention how far you are sitting from the speakers. An equilateral triangle is the accepted norm for stereo listening. However, room layouts in the places I’ve lived for the past 30 years have necessitated wider speaker placement and I’ve come to like it, as it seems to broaden the soundstage.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
You didn’t mention how far you are sitting from the speakers. An equilateral triangle is the accepted norm for stereo listening. However, room layouts in the places I’ve lived for the past 30 years have necessitated wider speaker placement and I’ve come to like it, as it seems to broaden the soundstage.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Hi, thank you for the reply.
When o watch movies I sit amistad all the way back in the room at about 20 to 23 feet.
But when I listen to music I move a chair to the middle of the room so that I can be at the sweet spot.
The thing is, these speakers are much smaller than the 683s I have.
They will have to be about 10 feet apart.
I do have a sub that takes care of the low end.
I guess my question are:
Are the 805n too small for a room of 25x14x7?
And is it not ideal to have them at 10 to 11 feet apart?

Thanks again.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I guess my question are:

Thanks again.
I have the 805D2 in a 20x12x8 room with a sub and they are more than enough. I think you will be fine.

It sounds like you are placing them on the short wall so you should be fine with them ~10 feet apart , somewhere between 9-10 feet may be better. Keep them about 1 1/2- 2 feet away from the side and front walls if possible.

I would start with the tweeters aiming directly into the room and if needed toe them in to your liking. This may either improve imaging or soundstage.

Here is the a link for the manual in case you don't have it.
http://bwgroupsupport.com/downloads/manuals/bw/N805-OM.pdf

Last edited:
Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Thank you for all the responses.
I was ready to pull the trigger on 805N with stands and a pair of 804(S) showed up for $200 less than 805N!
Had to get them.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi, thank you for the reply.
When o watch movies I sit amistad all the way back in the room at about 20 to 23 feet.
But when I listen to music I move a chair to the middle of the room so that I can be at the sweet spot.
The thing is, these speakers are much smaller than the 683s I have.
They will have to be about 10 feet apart.
I do have a sub that takes care of the low end.
I guess my question are:

Thanks again.
Too small...no. A former neighbor has a 5.4 system with all 805s + 4 subs...room slightly larger than your space...in the short time I spent listening to it...I never felt he needed more SPL.

While I will probably never appreciate the price of the 805 (especially now) \, but every level, matrix, nautilus, and diamond, the 805 has been a surprisingly strong performer...with proper woofage support you should be fine.

10-11' apart...you can probably make that call better than us with a little trial and error.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis