K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this new B&W center channel? I currently have a pair of the 705's as my mains and a B&W CM C as the center. I want to upgrade to the HTM 7, and I can't help but think that the HTM 7 and the 705's were designed to work together.

I'd like to hear any praise or criticism anyone might have. Thanks for the input.

U

Unregistered

Of the 700 series speakers I have, the HTM 7 is the one I like the least. Although positioning it in a shelf under the TV is probably not the best spot, I have no where else to put it. It just does not seem to fit seamlessly into the image when I switch from stereo to PLII, maybe that is just the PLII processor. I only have 5 feet separating the two front mains, so this is not much of a problem. If you have a large room and place your front mains far from each other, then this might be a problem. When auditioning speakers I was unable to compare center channel speakers. Is your use mostly music or movies? The 705 have good soundstage. How does your current center channel fit within that soundstage? Does the soundstage of your current center channel speaker lack the three dimensional quality that the 705 has? If so, you could consider the HTM 7. Also note that the HTM 7 has a 2 db sensitivity difference compared to the 705. I am not sure if this isn't something you could not compensate for in your receiver/processor setup but it does make me wonder that if B&W changed the speaker to increase the sensitivity, what else did they change inside the speaker. Also note that the HTM 7 is bigger than the CM C, so you might have space considerations. I usually use the center channel only for movies and some video games. I rarely use it for music and I do not have a DVD audio or SACD player so I cannot say what its performance in those applications is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis