B&W DM602SE bookshelf speakers

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
I plan on purchasing the B&W DM602SE used for $350.00 CAD, in like new condition.
Are these speakers worth consideration and are they Audiophile, critical listening, grade speakers? They are in mint condition and have peaked my interest.
Thank you for any advice you guys can give me, it would really help in my purchasing decision.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Save your money for something else. They have the famous B&W name, but they are not worthy of critical listening. The yellow Kevlar mid-woofer is infamous for noisy high frequency resonance, in the range of 4,000 Hz. B&W insists on crossing over these drivers to a tweeter at the very high frequencies of 3,500 to 4,000 Hz. It would not be noticeable if the crossover frequency was lower, such as 2,000 to 2,500 Hz.

Depending on the music and how loud you play it, you will hear an unpleasant high pitched noise. You won't always be aware of hearing ugly noise, but you will be aware of 'ear fatigue', where your ears get tired of being exposed to that noise. Many people mistake this ear fatigue as being caused by the tweeter. But it's really caused by the mid-woofer and B&W's choice of crossover frequency.

It's sounds worse in the less expensive B&W 600 series speakers. It's much less so in the most expensive 800 series where B&W spends more money in crossover components that filter out much, but not all, of this noise.

That dreaded ear fatigue is a major reason why so many used B&W speakers can be found for sale.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
Save your money for something else. They have the famous B&W name, but they are not worthy of critical listening. The yellow Kevlar mid-woofer is infamous for noisy high frequency resonance, in the range of 4,000 Hz. B&W insists on crossing over these drivers to a tweeter at the very high frequencies of 3,500 to 4,000 Hz. It would not be noticeable if the crossover frequency was lower, such as 2,000 to 2,500 Hz.

Depending on the music and how loud you play it, you will hear an unpleasant high pitched noise. You won't always be aware of hearing ugly noise, but you will be aware of 'ear fatigue', where your ears get tired of being exposed to that noise. Many people mistake this ear fatigue as being caused by the tweeter. But it's really caused by the mid-woofer and B&W's choice of crossover frequency.

It's sounds worse in the less expensive B&W 600 series speakers. It's much less so in the most expensive 800 series where B&W spends more money in crossover components that filter out much, but not all, of this noise.

That dreaded ear fatigue is a major reason why so many used B&W speakers can be found for sale.
What would you suggest for critical listening with a budget of $1000 CAD budget?

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
What do you think of the Paradigm premier Towers?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Are they considered Audiophile, critical listening grade?
I haven't heard those speakers, but I do trust shadyJ's opinions. If he says they're pretty damn good, then I would take that to the bank.

Please note that shadyJ is James Larson, the fellow who wrote that review and performed all the tests shown in the review.

Previously, I limited my suggestions to very good sounding speakers that cost $1,000 (US) or less. $2,000 per pair is a price range where there are quite a few very good floor standing speakers. However, Paradigm speakers are made in Canada, so that may lead to an overall better price for you.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Another Canadian speaker maker that has earned respect around here is PSB Speakers. I haven't personally heard any of their products, but they make a wide variety, some of which will be in your price range.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
I will go with Paradigm's premier 700F! On sale for $1400 for the pair, open box, at a reputable dealer in my area.
I have been dealing with this high-end store for well over 20 years, so I trust them.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
I purchased the Paradigm premier 700F's and I just absolutely love them, fantastic speakers. Thank you to everyone that had an input in my decision making, very much appreciated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis