B&w CM10 vs Nautilus 804

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Hi everyone. I would appreciate some advice. I recently sold my CM8s thinking that I would purchase a pair of CM10s to go with my CMC2 center and CM1 rears as well as dual 12" subs. I have searched quite a bit and have read that it might be better to get a used Nautilus 804 over the CM10, and vice versa.

If there is anyone with experience with these speakers, the advice would greatly be appreciated!

Cheers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know about any other 804 but I have listened to the 804S and 804 Diamond and love their sound. I am sure it will beat any CM series speaker by a mile.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
FWIW the 803 should be more in the same price range used. Since you have the subs have you considered some TOL bookshelves from kef, focal, etc? Or a other offerings?

Last edited:
P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the responses. I guess I am keeping myself with B&W to match my center? Maybe some used 805Ds or something? Thanks again

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
I don't care for any speaker in the CM range and most certainly not the CM10's...my vote goes heavily towards the 8 series.

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
But is a used older 800 series better than a new CM is the question.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nautilus 804 over the CM10
The 804D averages +/- 4.7dB listening window FR.

B&W 802 Diamond Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Sound & Vision

The CM9 averages +/-3.0dB listening window FR.

B&W CM9 Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Sound & Vision

The CM10 averages +/-2.6dB.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/bowers-wilkins-cm10-loudspeaker-test-bench

I think most people think the 804 sounds better because of placebo effect. :D

Some people think the CM9/CM10 sounds better than the 804D after they have looked at the measurements (+/-4.7dB FR). :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But is a used older 800 series better than a new CM is the question.
Only you will know for sure after listening. It is a matter of personal preference. Based on listening window frequency response measurements alone, the CM9 is actually more accurate than the 804D. But how they sound to YOU is the important thing. :D

The 802D2 averages +/- 2.8dB.

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
I've never heard the 804s, but I did hear the CM9's and CM10's and I wasn't impressed, even though I heard people raving about them, especially the CM10's. If you can, listen to both and make a decision based on that. Sure the 804's will give you bragging rights, but in the end what matters is if you like the sound of what you have. I'd do whatever is reasonably possible to listen to them back to back in the same room before making a decision.

Also, keep this in mind:
I think most people think the 804 sounds better because of placebo effect.
...and I'm not saying 804's don't sound good... it's almost just something to keep in mind in general, whenever we are about to decide on things ;)

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the responses. I guess I am keeping myself with B&W to match my center? Maybe some used 805Ds or something? Thanks again
This is very interesting what you said. You obviously sold the CM's for a reason. Obviously something was missing. You won't really match your center channel with 804's, 805d's, or anything else, as they have a different tweeter.

Maybe your taste has changed and you need to sell the rest of your B&Ws. It sounds scary at first, but maybe you need to look into getting something totally different. I was in the same boat myself not too long ago. I went back to the drawing board, looked at the contenders, specs, disregarded what other people told me I would like, and let my ears decide ...and I am so glad I did that, because I saved myself a lot of money and I love my new system a lot more than what I was going to buy originally.

...just something to think about ;)

P

PannTher

Junior Audioholic
Thanks so very much for the responses. I found a pair of CM9s new for an amazing price and jumped on them. They sure sound more full than the CM8s. Not as good as the CM10s, but for the price I got them, very nice. I also purchased an Anthem MRX-710 to power them. I'm trying to figure out how to get the Anthem and Yamaha to work together if possible controlling the sound etc here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/90151-yamaha-rxa-2000-pre-pro-trigger-question.html

Thanks very much for the help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis