B&w 805 Matrix opinions

P

pufftissue

Audiophyte
Hi, would you buy something lesser but newer from Paradigm or B&W, for example, like the CM1....

Or get a used 805 Matrix from B&w?

I got a pair of the 805 Matrix and I am actually very very disappointed. I went for a homerun by buying a used rotel stereo amp (1062?) that works great. And paired them with an 805 Matrix (I had auditioned the larger 804 Matrix before).....

It actually sounds worse than my Paradigm Atoms (2004 model) + rotel amp.

I'm feeding it uncompressed FLAC from an X-Fi soundcard. I think that has at least a decent DAC which should not be the limiting factor in this case.

Can you suggest what to do? Are my ears betraying me?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Egad.

I don't know what to say if you think Atoms sound better than the 805's.

Maybe the speakers are just worn out, damaged? The 805's were good sounding speakers, and should still be considered good against any mid priced bookshelf speaker just going by when I heard them a long time (decade?) ago. Speaker technology doesn't change that much that Paradigm Atoms (which are not really exceptional speakers) would be technically better. Maybe it's just a case of you being more used to your speakers.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Seems more likely to me that your new speakers are just revealing flaws in your source. There could be a lot of noise in your computer affecting the analog signal coming from the DAC on your card.

Or something else.

Or you don't like B&Ws, I'm not a big fan but I definitely wouldn't say the 805s sound worse than the Atoms. They're pretty much better in every way IMO.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Before you do anything take your b&w's & put them in a different system to hear how they sound,im not a big fan of b&w but your problem may lie in the computer as a source as was suggested by another member.

P

pufftissue

Audiophyte
So by moving up to the Nautilus 805 or the 805 Signature series,
what types of performance gains will I be hearing?

I'm looking for descriptions like, alot or a little, 10% or 50%

I don't need the last 10%

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Comparing speakers is not usually a "Performance Gain" issue. Its more of a listener taste issue. It all comes down to your own preferences when it comes to the sound out of a speaker.

For example: I prefer the sound out of Paradigm Studio 40 over say the B&W 602. I also prefer the sound of the PSB Image Series over the Paradigm Studios. This will be different for everyone.

Its what sounds best to you in your particular room, using your particular sources.

On a side note... I went from a sound card solution to one that uses a USB-to-Optical interface. There was too much noise and audio anomalies on my setup when I used a sound card.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I agree about the sound card issue. An external soundcard is often the best way to go for best sound.

If you are used to and like the sound of your Atoms, then most speakers that have a different sound signature will sound a bit foreign. Some B&W's tend to be brighter sounding, and thus will sound a bit harsh if you've been used to a more laid back speaker. There is no way to say: this speaker is XY% better. The B&W will have a more full bandwidth response and play louder than your smaller Atoms. Also, there are things that you can't measure: how much background detail do you hear, does the speaker separate instruments well?, what is the width and height of the image when you play it, does the speaker convey the natural sense of rhythmn well, how well does it make your feet tap?, do you find yourself fatigued after listening for long periods, does the speaker convey female voice naturally with appropriate body and lack of sibilance?, do your hear the natural texture and body of the piano notes? These are all things that separate a good speaker from a bad one and there is no way to assign a number to that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis