B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That being said, I do believe if he were to remove the ATI amp, the 3312 on its own may have a little trouble bringing out the best of the 802D2 in the bass department.
You guys can rest assured the Salon2, 802D2, 201/2, & Orion will always be powered with dedicated external amps. :D

The Phil3 wouldn't hurt being powered w/ external amps. But I'm not going to because they sound great and dynamic with just he AVR-990.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Beautiful set up, man! Do you notice the presence of the other speakers right by the 802s making a difference in the sound?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Beautiful set up, man! Do you notice the presence of the other speakers right by the 802s making a difference in the sound?
I can't say that I noticed any difference in sound. I mean they sound great. It would be easy to say if they sounded a little weird or something. But they sound just perfect.

But I'd imagine they would sound even better somehow if they were in a perfect room.

When I auditioned the PSB Imagine T, I noticed they sounded a little weird - not exactly normal. So it was easy to say something in the room was "off".

Or when I auditioned the Paradigm and B&W a couple of years ago - they sounded compressed and dead and boring. Now I realized it was probably just the room, placement, or maybe even some kind of EQ/ DSP may have been engaged.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bet even ParadigmDawg's Studio 100 might sound great in my house. ;)

The room is important. And so is having the preamp in bypass mode (no RC, EQ, or DSP). And so is having good subwoofers. :D

I think subs are very important. To every speaker system. Very, very important.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's past 8:20 am and I'm immensely enjoying my B&W 802D2 + RBH SX-1010N. Playing Sarah Jarosz's "Song Up in Her Head" album at -40dB volume because my wife and daughters are still asleep. :eek:

The SX-1010N subs sound so nice. Very tight and articulate. It seems weird and makes no sense saying it, but the dual SX-1010N subs sound like the sultan of standing speakers with accurate articulate aluminum woofers, instead of just some subs. :D

So I'm extremely pleased with the pairing of the B&W 802D2 + RBH SX-1010N + ATI AT2004 + Denon AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and BTW, the diamond tweeters are absolutely dead silent hooked up to the ATI amp.

So I don't know why the diamond tweeters were hissing at 2 different B&W dealers using Classe amps.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, and BTW, the diamond tweeters are absolutely dead silent hooked up to the ATI amp.

So I don't know why the diamond tweeters were hissing at 2 different B&W dealers using Classe amps.
Our cat hisses at other cats. Were there other pairs of B&W speakers in the room at the time?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
New VTI speaker stand for KEF 201/2

Here are the VTI silver stands for the KEF 201/2.

Some breathing room, if only a little.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I bet even ParadigmDawg's Studio 100 might sound great in my house. ;)

The room is important. And so is having the preamp in bypass mode (no RC, EQ, or DSP). And so is having good subwoofers. :D

I think subs are very important. To every speaker system. Very, very important.
I haven't listened to music or watched a movie in 3 or 4 months inside the house. Music, out by the pool all day long and some Tour De France and the Olympics in the evenings. During the winter we tend to watch more movies and listen to more music inside.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't listened to music or watched a movie in 3 or 4 months inside the house. Music, out by the pool all day long and some Tour De France and the Olympics in the evenings. During the winter we tend to watch more movies and listen to more music inside.
The actual music, movie, event is more important than the speakers and amps. Easy to forget that.

Speakers and amps can only sound so good. This is true. Just like HDTV can only look so good. :D

Also, we do things in life and make choices because of different circumstances. Like we have different ways and do different things to cope with the stresses in life. :D

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
I was hoping you'd like that song. Its not for everyone, but I sure sounds great on my EMPs. Oh well. Thanks for the reply!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was hoping you'd like that song. Its not for everyone, but I sure sounds great on my EMPs. Oh well. Thanks for the reply!
I like that entire album - Song Up in Her Head. Very unique sounding. And high quality recording. But Long Journey may be the best one.

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
I like that entire album - Song Up in Her Head. Very unique sounding. And high quality recording. But Long Journey may be the best one.
Glad you liked it! I think she has a great voice. Her second album (follow me down) is just as good, but the SQ is better. " Ring them bells" is my favorite. If you like that kind of music, check out Sierra Hull as well. Another great voice and she jams on the mandolin.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Glad you liked it! I think she has a great voice. Her second album (follow me down) is just as good, but the SQ is better. " Ring them bells" is my favorite. If you like that kind of music, check out Sierra Hull as well. Another great voice and she jams on the mandolin.
I listened to Sarah's Follow Me Down album - yes, another high quality album.

Listening to Sierra Hull's Daybreak album now. Also very high quality. Sounds more "country" than Sarah Jarosz. :D And I don't ever listen to country music. But I have to say I am liking Sierra's album very much because I like her voice and the high quality sound. :D

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
If I had a million bucks to blow, I would definatly dump 3/4 of it on speakers and tube amps!!! The rest would go toward a room to put it all in...:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If I had a million bucks to blow, I would definatly dump 3/4 of it on speakers and tube amps!!! The rest would go toward a room to put it all in...:D
Now I feel really old...and cheap. If I had a million bucks, I'd put it in the bank - and still wait for groceries to be on sale before I bought them.

Oh, man. I need help.

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
Now I feel really old...and cheap. If I had a million bucks, I'd put it in the bank - and still wait for groceries to be on sale before I bought them.

Oh, man. I need help.
Lol! In all reality, I'd do the same. :) I'm just sayin. ;)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Oh, man. I need help.
No, you're smart.

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
Yes. In this economy, he is smart! I was just goofing off...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis