B&W 802 Terminal Post Question

G

Griz1

Enthusiast
Hello,
I'm trying to find the threaded plastic banana plug cap that screws onto the terminal post... no luck so far. B&W does not have parts for this 802, Series 80 speaker. In the photo you can see the red one, with banana plug inserted-- I need the black one. Does anyone have sources for parts for these older speakers?
Thanks!
802 cap screw.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Finding a black plastic cap to fit what you now have on your speakers may be difficult. Binding posts like yours don't appear to be made anymore. But it shouldn't be difficult or expensive to replace those binding posts with new ones that fit your existing terminal cup. Many are available:

Binding Posts:
Madisound has many different makes. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/binding-posts/
I'd avoid the expensive ones and focus on the Bennic/Yung brand. They're gold-plated brass, made in Taiwan, very good quality. As a guess, these binding posts might fit your terminal cup:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/yung-binding-posts/posts-g-postb-binding-post-black/
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/yung-binding-posts/posts-g-postr-binding-post-red/
They're $2.75 each, order black or red separately.

Parts Express also has a good selection:
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/binding-posts-plates/309

Terminal Cups & Plates:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/terminal-cups/
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/terminal-plates-cups/321

G

Griz1

Enthusiast
OK- Thanks! I've ordered a couple of these and will see if any of the cap screws fit my existing post. Assuming they don't fit--does anyone see a problem with just using the existing post with banana plug connectors? The banana plug fits inside the cylindrical post, and so it's not obvious to me why the plastic cap would be needed, Amy I missing something?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
OK- Thanks! I've ordered a couple of these and will see if any of the cap screws fit my existing post. Assuming they don't fit--does anyone see a problem with just using the existing post with banana plug connectors? The banana plug fits inside the cylindrical post, and so it's not obvious to me why the plastic cap would be needed, Amy I missing something?
I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it without the missing black cap screw. It may not be up to the latest so-called safety standards that call for insulation covering the terminals on new speakers (see photo). But as long as you know which terminal is red and which is black, you're good.
1563483124107.png

G

Griz1

Enthusiast
Perfect! Exactly what I thought. Fortunately I have some black electrical tape to keep the Nanny State folks happy!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
One last point. If you do replace your old binding posts, be careful as you tighten the nuts on the threads. Those threaded shafts are brass. Brass can break a lot more easily than steel. If you use a wrench, be gentle.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

One last point. If you do replace your old binding posts, be careful as you tighten the nuts on the threads. Those threaded shafts are brass. Brass can break a lot more easily than steel. If you use a wrench, be gentle.
Only if it is Chinese brass. Chinese brass is not proper brass ad has far too much zinc. I have had it analysed. Proper brass is a little malleable and will not fracture immediately if over stressed.

I think the OP should change the cup or the terminal. This is not difficult. I'm pretty fed up with the current generation not having the most elementary of skills.
Everyone needs to have an armory of skills.

G

Griz1

Enthusiast
Again, thanks for the input. Not sure exactly what " I'm pretty fed up with the current generation not having the most elementary of skills" means.... While it's true I've never changed speaker terminal posts, and would be hesitant to do so without a clear idea of what I was doing (I'll look again, but didn't see how the cup comes off the back of the 802s...) I was building vacuum tube radios and computing "machines" on "breadboards" before some of the members of this forum were born.... So, if someone has a procedure for changing the cup/terminal on my specific speakers I'm all ears....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Again, thanks for the input. Not sure exactly what " I'm pretty fed up with the current generation not having the most elementary of skills" means.... While it's true I've never changed speaker terminal posts, and would be hesitant to do so without a clear idea of what I was doing (I'll look again, but didn't see how the cup comes off the back of the 802s...) I was building vacuum tube radios and computing "machines" on "breadboards" before some of the members of this forum were born.... So, if someone has a procedure for changing the cup/terminal on my specific speakers I'm all ears....
Are you telling us there are no visible screws attaching the terminal cup? I can not tell that from your picture if that is so. I have never seen that before. I did look at the service manual and it does not mention anything about removing the terminals. If it was odd I would have thought it would have.

I can tell you how it got broken. The EU have long had a rule that plastic plugs have to be put in the terminals to stop people using Banana plugs.

These have to be put in speakers power amps and receivers. They are very hard to remove and not supposed to be removed. Trying to can damage the terminal and break it.

Peter Walker naughtily made them of soft rubber and easy to remove.

Brexit, Brexit and Brexit! No deal and give them the finger!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So, if someone has a procedure for changing the cup/terminal on my specific speakers I'm all ears....
Most terminal cups are attached to the back of speaker cabinet with 4 small screws. As an example, see the front & rear view of a terminal cup here. The rear of the cup includes a rubber gasket. The rear view also shows how simple it is to detach old binding posts, and attach replacements.

If your speaker's terminal cups lack screws, they may have been attached by a press-in type fitting. They will have to be pried off. Considering their age, the rubber gasket will probably not come off clean. That's why TLS Guy suggested replacing the entire cup. But before you order replacement cups, you must know the diameter of the hole in the back of the speaker cabinet where the recessed cup fits.
1563496227216.png

1563496273117.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis