B&W 800D2 or 802D3?...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What did you decide?
I went from N801 to 802D3....very happy with the improved tweeter / mid that makes the voice and cymbals sounds more "life-like".
I do wish I went to 800D3 to feel more the the low frequency "presence" on certain recording (like 1812 telerac overture)
The two 10" surface area of 800D3 is close to the 15" N801 surface area , in term of "mass air" movement.
If you want surface area get jtr duel 15” towers haha , those diamonds must sound amazing ...
I feel like a poor hobo commenting on these 30k speakers I cannot dream of affording ...
I’m sure used can be a ton Cheaper ...

R

Rob007

Audiophyte
What did you decide?
I went from N801 to 802D3....very happy with the improved tweeter / mid that makes the voice and cymbals sounds more "life-like".
I do wish I went to 800D3 to feel more the the low frequency "presence" on certain recording (like 1812 telerac overture)
The two 10" surface area of 800D3 is close to the 15" N801 surface area , in term of "mass air" movement.
Money no question and the obvious choice becomes the 800D2. Taking into consideration a potential damage a house party/child/cleaning lady can cause it seems the 802D3 will be the speaker of choice...:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 802 D3 is one of the best speakers I've ever heard. I'm not a B&W fan boy so I don't say that lightly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Fascinating. So does your current system fit you? Genuinely curious here.

(disclaimer: the only way I'm changing out of the speakers in my signature is if we suddenly decide to move into a house where Klipschorns become an option in the main listening room. Otherwise, it's going to be subtle, progressive tweaks from now until they bury me and my kiddo sells it all off for next to nothing because he doesn't know any better :D )
Yes, my current speakers (RBH SVT and SX-T2/R) fit me perfectly. :D

We all have our criteria for that perfect fit.

1. Awesome sound quality
2. Accurate speaker measurements
3. Extremely dynamic sound
4. Awesome bass that can actually rival real subwoofers
5. Good aesthetics
6. Portable so I can actually move the speakers myself
7. Giant towers of power (would love to upgrade to SVTRS)
8. Affordable, best bang for my bucks, cost less than most speakers that have similar specs

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, my current speakers (RBH SVT and SX-T2/R) fit me perfectly. :D

We all have our criteria for that perfect fit.

1. Awesome sound quality
2. Accurate speaker measurements
3. Extremely dynamic sound
4. Awesome bass that can actually rival real subwoofers
5. Good aesthetics
6. Portable so I can actually move the speakers myself
7. Giant towers of power (would love to upgrade to SVTRS)
8. Affordable, cost less than most speakers that have similar specs
The bottom parts of those towers basically are subwoofers. I'm running one of those near field and can say they're every bit as subwoofery as my dedicated subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The bottom parts of those towers basically are subwoofers. I'm running one of those near field and can say they're every bit as subwoofery as my dedicated subs.
Exactly my point. :D

The bass cabinets of the SVTR towers are actually true subwoofers.

They are not the so-called "built-in subwoofers" that certain towers have. :D

In addition, these true big subwoofers that are part of the towers can be powered by very cool high-end ATI amps (or amps made by ATI), not some boring little plate amps. :cool: :D

And if someone were loaded with money, they could have other amps like McIntosh or Bryston amps powering these true subwoofers. :D

Now why don't more companies offer externally-powered subwoofers so that audiophiles could use their cool audiophile amps?

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Now why don't more companies offer externally-powered subwoofers so that audiophiles could use their cool audiophile amps?
They're not as marketable. Most buyers want an integrated solution in subwoofers.

Edit: especially for sealed subwoofers, where equalization is almost always required for flat deep bass response.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They're not as marketable. Most buyers want an integrated solution in subwoofers.

Edit: especially for sealed subwoofers, where equalization is almost always required for flat deep bass response.
I suppose most people want something simple.

There are external PEQ/DSP solutions, but these are geared toward audiophiles or more experienced people.

Given the desires of many audiophiles to keep things "separate", wouldn't many audiophiles also want the EQ/DSP to be separate in addition to all their separate amps and processors/preamps?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Given the desires of many audiophiles to keep things "separate", wouldn't many audiophiles also want the EQ/DSP to be separate in addition to all their separate amps and processors/preamps?
That was my original intent when I decided I needed subs to smooth out the bass in the positions I placed my Salon2s. I was going to use two 12" sealed subs, power them with two ATI AT3000 amp channels, and use a DSP for equalization. Then the Velodyne DD Plus series became available at my local dealer, and had more sophisticated DSP capabilities than I could implement myself at the time (2010), a 1250 watt plate amp, and was better finished than I anticipated, so I ditched the external amp & DSP strategy and bought a Velodyne sub. If I were going through the same decision process today I would probably still go with an integrated solution, because DSP capabilities are so widely available, but rather than a big 18" sub I would probably go for multiple smaller ones. The sub world has come a long way in 11 years.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Exactly my point. :D

The bass cabinets of the SVTR towers are actually true subwoofers.

They are not the so-called "built-in subwoofers" that certain towers have. :D

In addition, these true big subwoofers that part of the towers can be powered by very cool high-end ATI amps (or amps made by ATI), not some boring little plate amps. :cool: :D

And if someone were loaded with money, they could have other amps like McIntosh or Bryston amps powering these true subwoofers. :D

I'm sold on the idea. I could be perfectly happy with a pair of SVTRs and wouldn't miss a dedicated subwoofer at all. I think I've told you before those could easily be some endgame speakers for me. I absolutely love my 1212NR.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Awesome! It's nice to find that happy place.
I think these SVTR towers would be my perfect fit.

They're modular towers so if you have any bass issues they can be split up. Both of my HSUs are up front with my current towers tho, so I don't think I'd have to. I do have 1 of those subs right now so I only need 3 more pieces... sigh. Now the SVTRS's are some endgame speakers. I do believe I'd choose these over the 802D3s, altho... I might even pick the SVTR's over the Beedubs too...

https://rbhsound.com/svtrs.php

I might even have the room for them. I have a pretty large room and vaulted ceilings. When I'm writing letters to Santa those are what I ask for. I must be on the naughty list still tho...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think these SVTR towers would be my perfect fit.

They're modular towers so if you have any bass issues they can be split up. Both of my HSUs are up front with my current towers tho, so I don't think I'd have to. I do have 1 of those subs right now so I only need 3 more pieces... sigh. Now the SVTRS's are some endgame speakers. I do believe I'd choose these over the 802D3s, altho... I might even pick the SVTR's over the Beedubs too...

https://rbhsound.com/svtrs.php

I might even have the room for them. I have a pretty large room and vaulted ceilings. When I'm writing letters to Santa those are what I ask for. I must be on the naughty list still tho...
Yeah, if there were no earthquakes or tornadoes in Oklahoma, I would have those SVTRS right now in my living room. :D

Talk about towers of gods-loving-power. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I can help? View attachment 47784

No idea if it's legit, but it came up when I searched "rbh svtr used" :D
That's pretty awesome but still puts them out of my price range. 65% off for the SVTR's would be a lot closer tho! That's an actual possibility. I'd have to do a li'l math but I think I could sell some gear and just about cover that.

*PS, those look like they might be the special edition SVTRS's. Listed as "limited edition" tho, so not sure. If so, those are $44k new!

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
That's pretty awesome but still puts them out of my price range. 65% off for the SVTR's would be a lot closer tho! That's an actual possibility. I'd have to do a li'l math but I think I could sell some gear and just about cover that.

*PS, those look like they might be the special edition SVTRS's. Listed as "limited edition" tho, so not sure. If so, those are $44k new!
I'd check to see if the coupon is legit before I went and sold gear... It was a weird coupon site.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, if there were no earthquakes or tornadoes in Oklahoma, I would have those SVTRS right now in my living room. :D

Talk about towers of gods-loving-power. :D

Why does that picture look so familiar ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis