B&W 800 series - Demo model - worth it?

S

sr2002

Audioholic Intern
I recently got contacted by a dealer that they have floor models of the 805D3 and 804D3 that I could potentially get on a good discount. I don't have hard numbers yet, but I am expecting the 805D3 with stand in the $4-4.5k USD neighborhood and 804D3s in the $6.5-7k neighborhood. The big question is, are the worth getting in 2021 given the age of the D3 series, or is there better out there from KEF or Paradigm that could beat the diamonds at the discounted price?

Gear I'll be running these with: MC150 + Schitt Freya+ + Schitt Modius + 2xSB2000 subs. I currently have LS50s (Music listening only). I have auditioned the 805 and 804s before and I do love their sound, especially the crystal clear highs, but the price tag always held me back and I kept waiting for a steal of deal type thing. I potentially might need to make that decision soon, so would like to know if its worth pursuing still, especially if 8xx D4 series launched soon maybe?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would need to be paid to take B&Ws. :p

For that money, you can get a very nice pair of Salks that will have a very Flat and Accurate FR, amazing voicing.
(edit: 2 different links)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve owned (bought brand new) B&W 802D2.

@flyboylr45 (who also got McIntosh electronics) also owned 802D2.

Obviously so have other people.

In terms of SQ, I would say they are good enough. Absolutely nothing more special than many other speakers that cost less.

But I didn’t really buy the 802D2 because I thought they sounded special. I bought them for the Marlan heads. :D

After I owned them for a year, and the honeymoon period was over, it was time to call it quits. :D

But I guess you could say this about any speaker that cost more than other speakers with similar specs (driver materials and sizes, cabinets, etc.).

Are you buying them for the aesthetics? The allure? The hype? Or because they fit your style? Only you can answer that.

S

sr2002

Audioholic Intern
Basically I was trying furnish my Media room soon and was in the process of potentially get some JTR 210HTs in the front and maybe PSA MT-110 for surrounds. But since this B&W thing popped up out of no where, I'm debating whether I should spend money here because of the attractive price (and continue using my Paradigm Studio 20 v2 as my HT fronts for sometime) or Should I not bother with the B&W and concentrate on endgame HT setup with PSA + JTR?
If I were to add things up, for the price of the B&Ws alone I could get a HT3550 projector + Silver ticket screen + 2 JTR 210HTs or 3 PSA MT speakers

Edit: Just to clarify the B&Ws are not for HT duty, they will be in a separate room with the Mcintosh

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
I own a pair of 803D's, think they are the finest speaker I have ever listened to in my room, for my ears. (music only) I have never listened to salk's or Revel's which are mentioned a lot on this forum. I am sure they are great speakers. I would get what sounds best to you. B&W's are expensive

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently got contacted by a dealer that they have floor models of the 805D3 and 804D3 that I could potentially get on a good discount. I don't have hard numbers yet, but I am expecting the 805D3 with stand in the $4-4.5k USD neighborhood and 804D3s in the $6.5-7k neighborhood. The big question is, are the worth getting in 2021 given the age of the D3 series, or is there better out there from KEF or Paradigm that could beat the diamonds at the discounted price?

Gear I'll be running these with: MC150 + Schitt Freya+ + Schitt Modius + 2xSB2000 subs. I currently have LS50s (Music listening only). I have auditioned the 805 and 804s before and I do love their sound, especially the crystal clear highs, but the price tag always held me back and I kept waiting for a steal of deal type thing. I potentially might need to make that decision soon, so would like to know if its worth pursuing still, especially if 8xx D4 series launched soon maybe?
I think for the money there are better bets out there.

This is the 805 D3 FR.

This is the 803 D4

In addition you will need an arc welder amp to drive the D3s. It is 3 ohms over a good part of the real power range.

At those kind of prices, that is not acceptable. I would not be happy with that sort of data for my designs. That would mean continued development and not yet fit for service.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think for the money there are better bets out there.

This is the 805 D3 FR.

This is the 803 D4

In addition you will need an arc welder amp to drive the D3s. It is 3 ohms over a good part of the real power range.

At those kind of prices, that is not acceptable. I would not be happy with that sort of data for my designs. That would mean continued development and not yet fit for service.
Probably depends on which measurement source you look at.

If you're looking at S&V, Stereophile, Soundstage measurement, all the Diamond speakers look like that (big peak around 10kHz), even the 800d3 and 802d3. I have posted the graphs for 802 and 800 many times from those sources.

If you look at REW graphs produced at someone's home, it may look completely different.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Probably depends on which measurement source you look at.

If you're looking at S&V, Stereophile, Soundstage measurement, all the Diamond speakers look like that (big peak around 10kHz), even the 800d3 and 802d3. I have posted the graphs for 802 and 800 many times from those sources.

If you look at REW graphs produced at someone's home, it may look completely different.
There could be something to that. I have only had a chance to measure the 800 D3. But that is a much more expensive speaker.

The blue trace is on axis, the black 90 degrees off axis.

The roll off above 15 KHz is from omni mic.

Here is the another way of looking at it. You can see though even in the 800 D3 there is still excess energy around 10 KHz. I think that is audible. I'm not sold on the idea that diamond is a great material for a tweeter diaphragm. It can, and does shatter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There could be something to that. I have only had a chance to measure the 800 D3. But that is a much more expensive speaker.

The blue trace is on axis, the black 90 degrees off axis.

The roll off above 15 KHz is from omni mic.

Here is the another way of looking at it. You can see though even in the 800 D3 there is still excess energy around 10 KHz. I think that is audible. I'm not sold on the idea that diamond is a great material for a tweeter diaphragm. It can, and does shatter.
You recall my first 802D2 speaker they delivered had the shattered diamond tweeter.:D

After that I was very nervous about those tweeters.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis