B&W 705 speaker repair

G

Grey Goose

Enthusiast
I have searched the internet for an exploded diagram of the B&W 705 S2 speaker. I cannot find one. I contacted B&W directly but the best they will do is point me to a parts distributor, Emcompass. They stated that they do not make such information available to the public. I contacted encompass and they told me to check with B&W.

So, I turn to the community. These are my problems.

1) The tweeter grill is dented and I would like to remove the speaker grill to un-dent it. There is some kind of latch or magnet system in play that has no obvious solution to release. I could stick screw driver in the cavity but that may damage the speaker. Does anyone know how to properly remove the speaker grill?

2) The tweeter housing is very loose. I can swing it left to right by about 5 degrees and swing the housing up, Y-axis" by about the same amount. I know I need to open up the speaker to check the internal mounting hardware. But, before I do, does anyone have a picture, diagram, or can point me to a video of someone servicing this specific part on the speaker. I did look up parts last night but many of the tweeter parts do not have photos and reference a Schematic and schematic number that neither B&W or Encompass want to share. I may need new parts hence I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct parts.

Thank you for your assistance on this matter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have searched the internet for an exploded diagram of the B&W 705 S2 speaker. I cannot find one. I contacted B&W directly but the best they will do is point me to a parts distributor, Emcompass. They stated that they do not make such information available to the public. I contacted encompass and they told me to check with B&W.

So, I turn to the community. These are my problems.

1) The tweeter grill is dented and I would like to remove the speaker grill to un-dent it. There is some kind of latch or magnet system in play that has no obvious solution to release. I could stick screw driver in the cavity but that may damage the speaker. Does anyone know how to properly remove the speaker grill?

2) The tweeter housing is very loose. I can swing it left to right by about 5 degrees and swing the housing up, Y-axis" by about the same amount. I know I need to open up the speaker to check the internal mounting hardware. But, before I do, does anyone have a picture, diagram, or can point me to a video of someone servicing this specific part on the speaker. I did look up parts last night but many of the tweeter parts do not have photos and reference a Schematic and schematic number that neither B&W or Encompass want to share. I may need new parts hence I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct parts.

Thank you for your assistance on this matter.
Leave it alone, or you will be up to your neck in alligators.

Here is an exploded view of that tweeter.

That is definitely NOT a user serviceable design. The dent won't affect the sound, it is just cosmetic. So put up with it.

G

Grey Goose

Enthusiast
Thank you for your effort and advice. I already have this image and another one like it but they are marketing photos. I'm looking for something closer to the exploded parts drawings you find an automotive service manual.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your effort and advice. I already have this image and another one like it but they are marketing photos. I'm looking for something closer to the exploded parts drawings you find an automotive service manual.
I think that is as good as most parts drawings. It certainly shows that you can't mess with it without the potential to misalign the VC. Just leave it alone and stop obsessing about a dented grill. Remember the axiom: - : "The enemy of good is better."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis