K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I'm planning on upgrading my speakers soon. I'm currently using various models from the 600 series range, and I want to step up in crossover quality. &nbsp;I just love the look of the new 700's, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a good listen yet? &nbsp;I'm just shopping around right now.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have recently been looking at Bookshelf speakers.   Last week, I listened to the B&amp;W 602s3 and the new 705.

The 705 is a very nice speaker and is very detailed, crisp with a large soundstage.  I really liked it alot.  It's a little weaker in the low end than the 602S3 but much more accurate overall.  It just simply outclasses the 600 series bookshelfs. Quite a bit more mulla though.   They were being driven by Arcam.

I also listened to the Paradigm Studio 20.   This is also a nice speaker but it was a little too bright and thin for my taste.  I reviewed them at different locations but I have to say the B&amp;W 705 was the clear winner.  I am just not a big fan of Paradigm.  Some people love them, I don't.   To me, they just seem a little to bright or shrill.  The 705 had a more laid back, warmer sound but still had a crispness to it, if that makes sense.  A very soothing, smooth sound overall.

Shinerman</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I recently bought some B&amp;W 700 series speakers (specifiically 705, HTM7, and DS7). &nbsp;I do like them. &nbsp;There is some slight sibilance but that might be from the room. &nbsp;Audioholics favorably reviewed some bookshelf speakers manufactured by Von Schwiekert recently. &nbsp;The MSRP of the Von Schwikerkert bookshelves is $995/pair, which is significantly less than B&amp;W 705. &nbsp;I had not heard of Von Schweikert before I ordered my B&amp;W speakers though. &nbsp;In any case, if you decide to buy the B&amp;W 700 series speakers, you might have to wait a long time to get them depending on where you live. &nbsp;I live in NJ and it took 6 weeks for me to get the 705 and HTM 7 and another 2 weeks to get the DS7. &nbsp;Also, try to avoid paying MSRP.

One neat feature about the DS7 (and all of B&amp;W's on wall speakers, I think) is that you can connect a 12 volt trigger and switch the speakers from monopole to dipole w/o flipping switches on the speakers (which is a real pain because the switches are located under the front grille).

I have listened to the 705 and 602S3 at a dealer and the difference between the two (besides aesthetics and price) is a VERY slight increase (perhaps just my imagination) in detail but a VERY big difference in soundstage, depending on recorded material of course. &nbsp;If all you are looking for is a better crossover, you might want to consider removing the crossovers in your current speakers and using active crossovers. &nbsp;(you should only do this if your warranty is expired b/c opening the speakers can void the warranty.)

By all means, listen to as many speakers with different manufacturers and model numbers as you can.</font>

K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I have a pretty good deal with my dealer where I can trade in my current speakers within a year for full value on an upgrade. &nbsp;My speakers are definately less than a year old, so I don't want to pull them apart and switch out crossovers. &nbsp;Good idea though for older models.

If anyone else has experience with the 705's in particular, I'd love to hear about it.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I loved them! I needed floorstanding model, so I saved some money &amp; went with MB Quart. IMO, the only speakers that sound better than B&amp;W 700 series, is 800 series. B&amp;W had the best sound out of any speaker I auditioned!
&nbsp;

I have never heard the 600 line. The dealer I went to used Monitor Audio for the lower line.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Zumbo, I couldn't aggree with you more. &nbsp;I'm a really big B&amp;W fan. &nbsp;Nothing could beat them in my mind, but maybe it's just us. &nbsp;So far I've experienced great sound with no break up, a wondrefully wide sound stage, and beautifully detailed stereo reproduction at any volume. &nbsp;The 700's are a stepping point for me to the 800's.

Thanks for the input.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I don't believe were are alone in feeling they are the best. My thing with them is the cost. For example, my Quarts were a fraction of the cost &amp; required less power. But, the sound is very close. Not as good, but close. The B&amp;W's are smoother in the trebble, crisper in the vocals, &amp; tighter in the bass. The only area the Quarts are better is bass extension. This is because they are less restricted, which causes the loss of a crisp, strong vocal range. I am not a reviewer, but this is the best way I can describe it. The Quarts tweeters are brighter, which I like, but most people would say &quot;too bright.&quot; I wish I had the funds for B&amp;W. The fact is, my system is just not on that level. For the money I spent, I don't believe someone could build a better system. Good luck with your system, I believe it will be fantastic!
</font>

A

Audio1

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I have been considering purchasing the 700 series, but I have not yet been able to audition them. &nbsp;One question that I have is if the center channel for this series, the HTM7, is equally as good as other brands that utilize more drivers. &nbsp;I am concerned that the output and horizontal dispersion may not be as good as other equally priced quality brands.

I would be curious to compare the Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers to the 705's, but this will be nearly impossible due to the fact that the nearest Von Schweikert dealer is a 2-hour trip from where I live.

Any opinions or feedback would be most appreciated.

Buddy</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Audio1,

Are you concerned about the center channel b/c your use is mostly movies? &nbsp;If you're concerned about movie use, then B&amp;W speakers are probably not for you. &nbsp;Miller &amp; Kreisel makes speakers geared more for movie use. &nbsp;Of the 700 series speakers I have, the HTM 7 is the one I like the least. Although positioning it in a shelf under the TV is probably not the best spot, I have no where else to put it. &nbsp;It just does not seem to fit seamlessly into the image when I switch from stereo to PLII, maybe that is just the PLII processor. &nbsp;I only have 5 feet separating the two front mains, so this is not much of a problem. &nbsp;If you have a large room and place your front mains far from each other, then this might be a problem. &nbsp;I suggest you find a dealer that has a lenient return policy or try to find a place you can listen to the center channel if it is so important to you. &nbsp;I do not think B&amp;W's strength is in designing speakers for movies. &nbsp;They certainly can be used for movies (and the switchable monopole/dipole onwall speaker is a nice feature) but they really shine with music. &nbsp;M&amp;K says their speakers are used in many Hollywood studios. &nbsp;I listened to either the S 150 P THX or the S 150 THX, I can't remember which - they had an MSRP of $1750/pair. There are many cheaper speakers that seem to work well for movies too. &nbsp;Many people seem to like Axiom. &nbsp;As I said in a previous post, these 700 series speakers are slightly sibilant. &nbsp;If you watch movies with lots of spoken dialogue this might be a problem.</font>

K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>All right! &nbsp;I ordered a pair of the 705's yesterday, they should be in at the dealer in a week. &nbsp;I'm trading in the 603's, and stepping up to play with the big boys
&nbsp; &nbsp;I'm looking foreward to the solid week of listening and breaking in that I have to do.

I just thought you all should know how excited I am...</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis