B&W 602's + NAD 763 / HK 635?

S

Shima

Audiophyte
Okay so i've narrowed it down. These receivers are at the same price, both sound great but i can't listen to them side by side to really check out the difference. This is a lot of $ for me so want to get this right. This is primarily for music (everything from blues to hip hop to dirty rock and roll to clean electronica)but also movies. Buying the 602's and a 600centre. I'm interested in hearing about the matych of these and also in matching systems to the room. Mine is timber floors, open and sparsly furnished. This is all new to me.

Thanks, all opinions devoured

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
For what its worth I have spent a good amount of time with the 602's and 763 and the sound is outstanding. NAD receivers are one of the finest for music and IMO is a notch above the HK. The NAD's amp section seems a bit stronger as well and is not fussy at all about driving 4ohm loads. Which most receivers have problems with.

The HK has more features and includes an auto setup feature. But also sounds good as well. Either way you will be in great shape. But if it where me it would be NAD all the way.

Cheers

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Im a bit biased though since I own the C52. But I have NEVER been dissapointed with a NAD amp. NEVER.

Even the little 712 receiver I owned sounded far bigger than its 25 watt specs would suggest.

NAD - T763 output -

Full Disclosure Power Specifications
Power Output: Stereo Mode (8 ohms within rated distortion) 2 X 130W (21.1dbW)
IHF dynamic power 8 ohms 2 x 210W (23.22dBW)
4 ohms 2 x 300W (24.77dBW)
2 ohms 2 x 370W (25.68dBW)

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Especially for a HT receiver.

Cheers

Last edited:
S

Shima

Audiophyte
Thanks anamorphic. Yeah the real power of this receiver is definately a draw card for me. I've read elsewhere that they can be noisy (hiss, hum) not sure if people are referring to the fan noise or other fault. Have you had any of these probs with your NAD (opportunity for Mulester)? Also re the matching with spkrs / room, any reason why they work well with B &W or is it more subjective 'sounds great to my ears'? Thanks again

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Shima said:
Thanks anamorphic. Yeah the real power of this receiver is definately a draw card for me. I've read elsewhere that they can be noisy (hiss, hum) not sure if people are referring to the fan noise or other fault. Have you had any of these probs with your NAD (opportunity for Mulester)? Also re the matching with spkrs / room, any reason why they work well with B &W or is it more subjective 'sounds great to my ears'? Thanks again
The issues your hearing about have been resolved from my understanding. These issues seemed to be in the 762 and the upgrades to the 763 solved these issues. NAD uses multiple smaller fans to keep things inaudible. Granted if you put your ear to the unit you might hear the fans but this is the case with all fans. The fans are very quiet and not noticeable to my ears. Especially at the seated listening position.

I used a 751 for over a year with a fan and it never came on when I used it so it was a non issue. My good friend is still using this unit with no issues to speak of. The 763 I speak of is my uncles and it works like a charm with none of the issues reported.

B&W's to my ear are dependent on what they are driven with. The better the componets the better they sound. I find B&W to be a neutral performer. Which in my mind is what good sound is all about and mates well with the neutral sound of NAD componets. Keep in mind if you have a solid set of speakers I think you will find NAD works great with any speaker. Im currently running Energy speakers with my NAD and its as expected. Dead neutral.

Neutrality is very key with me. If your watching a movie a and the sound designer likes a brighter balance to the sound you will hear it. It they like a warmer balance you will notice this as well. You hear what the artist wanted you to hear and to me that is what good HT and 2 channel is all about. Hearing what the artist intended you to hear. B&W offers this trait.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Cheers

Last edited:
Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Also, you really need to get a large area carpet/rug since you have wood floors and not much furniture. If you can, place some wall hangings on the wall also and this will tremendously improve the sound within the room.

Bryguy

S

Shima

Audiophyte
I had the opportunity to listen to the HK and then the NAD 773 last night. No 763's in stock. The 773's sound is as you say, a clear and representative one (do not read sterile), very dynamic and also one in which you can almost picture the sound taking up real space. Fascinating to listen to with a range of music recorded at different qualities.

I enjoyed the Harmon Kardon immensely also though the space between some of the bass lines and the bass drums weren't so clear for example. That being said, i still heard my music sound as though i never had before and getting up this morning to listen to my flat sounding, muffled old pioneer midi system, i was reminded that both HK and NAD are in a different world, especially with the 602's.

I think i'm sold on NAD, just a pity i haven't been able to hear the 763 to hear if there is a big difference ($500 worth) between it and the 773. My only other hesitation is what difference it will make coming out of the carpeted, speaker and other stock filled surrounds of the Hi Fi shop to my apartment. Not sure if the rug will work in the room but will give it a go(thanks Bryguy). I wonder if the HK less neutral sound will prevent an over bright sound at home. A little more thinking to be done.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Shima said:
I had the opportunity to listen to the HK and then the NAD 773 last night. No 763's in stock. The 773's sound is as you say, a clear and representative one (do not read sterile), very dynamic and also one in which you can almost picture the sound taking up real space. Fascinating to listen to with a range of music recorded at different qualities.

I enjoyed the Harmon Kardon immensely also though the space between some of the bass lines and the bass drums weren't so clear for example. That being said, i still heard my music sound as though i never had before and getting up this morning to listen to my flat sounding, muffled old pioneer midi system, i was reminded that both HK and NAD are in a different world, especially with the 602's.

I think i'm sold on NAD, just a pity i haven't been able to hear the 763 to hear if there is a big difference ($500 worth) between it and the 773. My only other hesitation is what difference it will make coming out of the carpeted, speaker and other stock filled surrounds of the Hi Fi shop to my apartment. Not sure if the rug will work in the room but will give it a go(thanks Bryguy). I wonder if the HK less neutral sound will prevent an over bright sound at home. A little more thinking to be done.
I dont think you will notice much difference at all between the 763 and 773. NAD is very consistent across the board.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
The shop I'm buying my Rega R3s from was trying to sell me on the NAD-773, because my use is 90% music, 10% HT. I have to be suspicious since that's way more power necessary for my room size and speakers. At any rate, the 763 is still far, far more expensive than the HK AVR 635. I don't know if it's different in the UK, but I can get the 635 for $600 USD including shipping, whereas NAD is only available at dealers, for not much below the list price of $1,399.

Can anyone really justify that price difference, or know of anyplace selling the 763 for under $900?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis