B&W 602 S3 or Paradigm Mini Monitor

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
I am seriously considering either a Paradigm Mini Monitor or a B&W 602 S3. The B&W is a little expensive but if the improvement in sound is tremendous then the price difference is something that can be resolved.

Both have excellent reviews from reputable magazines and organizations but i never encountered a review wherein the two speakers are pitted against each other

I was able to audition the two separately but it would be ideal if done side by side considering the varying acoustic properties of the room where it was audioned and the different equipments used.

Can anybody in this forum do a parallel comparison of the two or at least comment on the qualities or difference of the two?

Btw, im using a denon receiver and a JM Lab Chorus centre speaker.
Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
Hi, there seems to be a good number of paradigm and B&W users here, can anybody pls comment on these speakers.

Im still in a dilemma which one to buy

tnx

T

TEvo

Enthusiast
I have no experience with Paradigm but the brand and their products seem very well regarded. Having heard PSB (another well regarded Canadian brand), I am not sure how much of a "improvement" would be worth the price differential for you.

I feel the B&W 602 S3 is a neutral speaker with very good soundstaging, tonal balance and a sweet overall presentation that is neither too forward nor too laid-back. Kind of just right- like a number of other British loudspeakers. As befits the larger driver and cabinet than most other bookshelves, they have decent bass extension (similar priced NHT SB3 goes notably lower but is not as quick or tight). They are not ruthlessly detailed such that they make you pay sonically for having "lesser" equipment upstream- they are excellent coupled with a decent integrated amp and a quality digital source.

Hope this helps. I have little experience with multi-channel sound/home theater so I cannot comment on how they might work in such a configuration.

If you are going to drop $600 US, perhaps finding a way to listen for yourself might be worthwhile?

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
If you already have a JMLab Chorus center channel speaker, why not consider the JMLab Chorus 707. As I recall, they are in the same price ballpark as the B&W's and they would give you a better timbre match with your Chorus center. I auditioned the 707's and found them to be very detailed and they have great bass for a bookshelf. I ended up with Paradigm Reference Studio 20's, but I really liked the Chorus line of JMLab.

F

Fb111794

Audioholic Intern
jimmit said:
If you already have a JMLab Chorus center channel speaker, why not consider the JMLab Chorus 707. As I recall, they are in the same price ballpark as the B&W's and they would give you a better timbre match with your Chorus center. I auditioned the 707's and found them to be very detailed and they have great bass for a bookshelf. I ended up with Paradigm Reference Studio 20's, but I really liked the Chorus line of JMLab.
I quite agree.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis