B-Tech BT77 speaker mounts.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I am drastically under qualified to write a review that involves anything technical. Taking that into account I figured I’d write a review of a product that is pretty simple, that many people have asked about, but yet not many seem to write about. The product I chose is the B-Tech BT77 “Pro Grip” speaker mount.

Recently I purchased a set of larger bookshelf speakers to complete the speaker portion of my HT (for now). They weigh in at about 15lbs apiece and measure 8 x 15 1/4 x 11 15/16" so they take up the space. Originally I had them mounted on stands behind my seating area. I kept reading speaker placement suggestions that recommended rear speakers be between 2’ and 4’ above the listener’s head. I figured I try mounting them and see what happened. I looked around and saw these guys keep popping up when others requested speaker-mounting advice. My biggest concern was that I did not want to drill into the speakers themselves, but I did want to angle them down slightly. I discovered that Futureshop, a local big box chain store carries these mounts for $80 CAD. Online they retail for about $55 US, which means I would be better off buying them close to home. At first I thought that $80 was too much to spend on speaker mounts, but let me tell you, you get what you pay for with these mounts.

First impressions: The box these mounts come in is pretty small. I almost walked away when I saw the size figuring that they would be of shoddy construction, and then I picked up the box. Mamma Mia! The box weighs close to 20lbs. The cashier almost fell over, literally, when she took the box from my hand expecting it to weigh much less. When I got home I rushed into the basement and straight into my HT room, A.K.A., The Man Cave. I opened the box expecting to see a hundred small pieces fall out, instead there were ten pieces in total and a bag of screws, nuts, and bolts. I picked up the L bracket to see how sturdy it was and was very impressed. It is made of 2 pieces of thick steel with a very solid weld hidden around back. The colour I chose was black, but the mount is also available in silver. The black is not a matte finish, but it isn’t shiny or distracting either. There were a ton of little screws and parts in that little bag that gave me a little concern, but they shouldn’t have.

Installing: Installing these is a breeze. My hat goes off to B-Tech, everything has been considered to make these guys as idiot-proof as possible, which is something I really need, but more on that later.

The first step is to find wall studs as close to the desired speaker location as possible and mark off their location. The package does include wall anchors, but if your speakers are heavy then you really don’t want to use this option. If you have low ceilings to deal with like me then make sure to give yourself adequate clearance. Add about 4 or five inches from the top of your speakers to the ceiling to allow tilting and rotation.

The second step is to drill the L bracket into the wall. There are four or five pre-drilled holes in the L bracket to place screws into and this number of connections provides incredible security.

The third step is to slide a provided plastic cover over the L bracket. This covers the screws, looks good, and is a great Idea in my opinion.

The fourth step is to slide a plastic “landing” onto the exposed end of the L bracket. It is later bolted into place.

The fifth step is to place the speaker’s “ gripping perch” on top of the plastic landing and secure it in place using a supplied bolt, washer, and nut. This brings me to my only problem with the BT77. The locking nuts they provide are a poor choice in my opinion. They are very hard, if not impossible to tighten sufficiently in the beginning. My solution, and suggestion, is to go to Home Depot and replace the locking nut with a conventional one. There is a finishing cap that covers the nut to complete the refined look and it still fit on my Home Depot nut. With the nut loose you can swivel the perch and tilt it to a slight downward angle. I believe it is 7 degrees according to the manufacturer. Tighten the nut when have the perch lined up at about the angle you think you want it at.

The sixth step is to loosen the clamp from both ends to allow sufficient room for your speaker to be seated. You should have already placed some foam tape that is included across the parts of the clamp that will make contact with the speaker itself. This will prevent scratching. Now sit your speaker on the mount and tighten the clamps until they are very tight on the speaker. Now, here comes my hypocritical suggestion. Provided in the kit are some very tiny screws. These screws are meant to be drilled into the sides of your speakers through pre-drilled holes. I recommend you do this for the ultimate hold possible. Now you can loosen the nut again and play with speaker placement if you need to.

Final verdict: I have had these mounts for over a month and have no trouble recommending them wholeheartedly to anyone. They say they can hold up to 55 lbs, and I believe it. This whole package is very cleverly thought out, and looks very nice. I have to admit that my home theatre looks more like a movie theatre to me since I installed these mounts. B-Tech left no stone unturned and did all the little things right. Like I stated previously my only gripe was with the locking nuts, and that was a 50-cent fix at a hardware store. There is a noticeable improvement in sound in movies by placing the speakers where they are. I find that these stands are a great value despite my early reservations about the price. Below is a link to the B-Tech homepage so you can see for yourself.

B-Tech's website

Last edited:
N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
They are Sweet!

I have a set that I used to mount my athena B-2's with. I also balked at the price at first but when I opened the box and looked at the quality - worth every penny!

I did not have a problem with the "locking nut"; it's one of those nuts that has a plastic insert on the threads that keeps it in place even if you move it. I did not tighten mine down all the way, left some play so I could swivel left and right.

I did not use the screws either, tried double-sided tape instead but this did not hold when the speakers were tilted downwards. It does seem to hold them very securely without the screws.

Do you have your tilted downwards Takeereasy?

Anyway I agree, this is a top-notch product that is well built & made in the UK.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
mine are tilted down, and I didn't use the screws either. I know this sounds bad but my failsafe is the locking banana plugs. If the mount somehow let go (which I don't forsee due to the quality) then my speakers would still be hanging there. I just reccomend using the screws in case someone does do it without the them and their speakers fell. Don't want that on the conscience.

J

jbracing24

Junior Audioholic
B-Tech's

Had mine about a month too. Add my name to the happy consumer list.

S

stau40

Audioholic Intern
Does anybody know if this bracket will work with a Paradigm ADP-370 dipole speaker since the speaker box is not a rectangle? This is the only bracket I have found that will support the weight of my speaker (33lbs). Does anybody else know of any other manufacters that make brackets that hang from the ceiling that will work with the 370's?

Thanks

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
These sound great. If I end up getting rears that are not predrilled, I'll be looking at these.
Thanks,
Pat

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Wish I had seen this thread a year ago. I found these almost by accident online and it looks like they will be perfect for my Mackie HR624 surrounds. Based on this positive review, all I have to do is go home and make sure the dimensions are correct for my speakers.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
If you have to wall mount your speakers, these mounts are the absolute BEST wall mount I have ever used!!!!!!!

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
Since I keep getting a "Hello colin.p it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?" message when I log in :) , I will also add my nod to these brackets.
I have a pair of Quest QB-6's (16.3" x 7.7" x 12.2"; 14.5 lbs, 6.6 kg) which are rather large to hang on the wall, the BT-77 brackets definitely do the job.

Done for another couple months'
Colin

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Well, I spent a few hours yesterday locating studs and getting these babies up!

My monitors http://www.mackie.com/products/hr624/specs.html weigh 25 pounds each - about 1/2 of what the BT77 is rated for. After getting the first baseplate anchored in a stud with 4 2" screws (the provided screws are only about 1-1/4" long which didn't seem like enough metal in the wood once the thickness of sheetrock and the metal plate was accounted for) I gave a healthy tug and it felt like I could have used a pair of these to do chin-ups.

I wanted to use the 7-degree downward tilt, but was reluctant to put screws in my babies. On the first pass I cranked down the side-clamps as much as I could, but the back of the monitor was still lifting off the baseplate a little. I decided a tiny hole in the bottom of the speaker cabinets was better than risking $900, so I marked the hole, held my breath, drilled a tiny pilot hole and used one of the provided safety screws to secure the monitor. Didn't even hesitate when I got to monitor #2. I guess it's like they say in movies about killing. First one's the hardest.

I didn't have time to recalibrate after they were up on the walls. I'd say they are somewhere between 6" and 1 foot farther away from the primary listening position and aiming about a foot over ear height. (When they were on stands they were at exactly ear height.) I'm guessing I will need to increase both the distance and channel trim in the pre-pro to compensate. I believe this will also have the benefit of making the surrounds a little more apparent to those not on the "silver sofa" in the sweet spot.

Tonight is busy, so the SPL meter will have to wait until tomorrow.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I also bought these a few weeks back... I orginally had my Paradigm Studio's on speaker stands, and my buddy who does wiring was over and yelled at me.. "You need to get those things up on the wall", I have a very tough to run speaker wires around in the walls in this room... Hard wood floors, and hard wood ceilings in the room underneath this room... Bad news, believe me..

At any rate, I ordered a different brand of speaker mounts..
"Orbital - 43121 Black - Side Clamping ULTRA Speaker Mounts"
Trust me, you do not want these... I sent them back, and got the B-Tech's

As soon as I opened the box, I knew the difference was 1000 times better, I only wish they had more tilt angle to them... as My speaks had to be mounted higher then the normal situation... But they are flawless, very sturdy and support my Studio's just fine, with not a care in the world whether they will ever come loose from the wall, or fall apart. Instead of putting a screw through them and into my speaker, I just reversed a metal in the wall drywall springy thing and ran a screw through it into the already supplied threaded hole on the bottom of speaker for mounting to paradigm's speakers stands...

Needless to say, every time I look up at them, its just such a great mount that I really just forget about them, and marvel at my Studio's up there on the wall, and not taking up floor space !!!!!!

Perfect Speaker Mount... couldn't ask for a better product !!!

Warp

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
I just reversed a metal in the wall drywall springy thing and ran a screw through it into the already supplied threaded hole on the bottom of speaker for mounting to paradigm's speakers stands...
I noticed on the site that it says 7 degrees.. Can it do any more than that? With the screw securing the Studio 20s to the wall mount, couldn't it tilt more than 7 degrees or is it a limitation of the unit itself? I would love to put these into my room for rear speakers but I would need more tilt...

Here are some pictures of my room. My thoughts were to mount them in the upper corners (where the horrible wood paneling meets the horrible brick paneling) of the rear of the room pointed down to the listening position. I would then move the couch to the back of the room (against the wall). The couch currently is about a foot away from the wall. Would that work or would a pair of ADPs be better? (Mounted to the left and right of the window).. There will already by a speaker (ADP-590) on the left and right wall adjacent to the rear wall.

Last edited:
D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
The tilt is a limitation of the design of the stands. I didn't get out my protractor, but it seems to be a little more than 7 degrees to me.

My speakers are in the upper rear corners of the side walls of a roughly 15 foot wide room. The main listening position is centered about 2.5 feet from the back wall. With full downward tilt and slight forward rotation, the speakers are aimed pretty close to the head of the listener and the dispersion is more than wide enough to make up any difference with no noticeable drop in level or high frequency sound.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
My speakers up up high, 8ft, and I too was very concerned about downward angle, and orbitals claimed more down angle, but those things were junk.

My room is big so the downward angle worked out just fine, and remember that you want them to be firing above your head, not directly at your ears for surrounds. But I don't think that is an issue for you Babel seeing as you bought the ADP's.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Just thought I'd throw my dusty hat into the ring. I don't have the 77's, but I have had my mini-monitors mounted to the B-Tech BT-1's for two years now, and they are mighty, well-adjustable and economical. B-Tech has it right!

C

coldmark

Audiophyte
For anyone who has the BT77's or similar mounts:

Where did you run the speaker wire? Is there anyway to hide it? Haven't received the mounts yet but would like to run the wire this weekend. Would I simply have a little hole next to the mount? I guess it would be hidden by the speaker anyway.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
For anyone who has the BT77's or similar mounts:

Where did you run the speaker wire? Is there anyway to hide it? Haven't received the mounts yet but would like to run the wire this weekend. Would I simply have a little hole next to the mount? I guess it would be hidden by the speaker anyway.

Yes.... close to the side or on top of the mount, but note that the mount will be screwed directly into a stud, and the cover plate is exactly the same size of the mounting bracket, so it is unlikely you will get it through there, but not impossible, it can be done, its just easier to put a hole on the side of the bracket through the dry wall instead of through the cover plate, then the metal bracket, then the stud. Get a nice black or colored grommet to slide over the speaker wire to hide the hole in the drywall, and it will look nice.

Here are a few photos

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Yes.... close to the side or on top of the mount, but note that the mount will be screwed directly into a stud, and the cover plate is exactly the same size of the mounting bracket, so it is unlikely you will get it through there, but not impossible, it can be done, its just easier to put a hole on the side of the bracket through the dry wall instead of through the cover plate, then the metal bracket, then the stud. Get a nice black or colored grommet to slide over the speaker wire to hide the hole in the drywall, and it will look nice.

Here are a few photos
Nice setup, warpdrv

In my case, I mounted the BT77's with a couple of heavy duty wall anchors, so I drilled a hole through the metal plate and cover to run the wire. Didn't have a stud where I needed it, but the anchors are holding well...

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thats much nicer.... Unfortunately I have double studs and a ventilation duct there so that was a no go for me...

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

This is an old picture taken of me, but you can see the B Tech BT77 speaker mounts holding up a Aperion Audio 532 LR in the background. All the junk on the rack is my Ham Radio Gear.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis