[B]SVS Cylinders vs. Boxes, Let's get it on!!![B]

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

No knock on SVS, but the problem with the way they mount their plate amp is that they cut thru the walls of the cylinder to do it. This could compromise the integrity of the tube. Perhaps Ron from SVS can explain how they mount the amp, as I know he drops in once and awhile.

I suspect that people buy the box versions mostly due to appearance and WAF issues. For the record, I own a pair of HSU TN-1220's, and they are awe inspiring. If I was gonna buy SVS, I'd probably try a pair of the tallest CS+'s. Although I wouldn't mind their smallest box sub for my bedroom- I just couldn't fit even the smallest of their tubes into my smallish room.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
jaxvon said:
Well, one easy way to see the problem is to compare a manufacturer's standard warranty on the woofer vs. plate amp.

Hsu: 7 Years on the woofer, 2 years on Electronics

Besides, anyone who works around electronics knows that heat and vibration kill circuits. Why do laptops fail so much more than desktops? [I know this for a fact, as I work in a computer repair shop]

I don't have any REAL statistical data, but I can say that judging by warranties AND from my experience with electronics, that it's best to not shove the amp into the sub cabinet if you can.
Isnt that about a year more then you get on receivers,players,ect.

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
thx...for all this info guys...I've been enjoying reading these posts! and threads for that matter...that's very interesting in regards to the amps and cylinders.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
I have a 25-31 pci and am very happy with it. LOTS of clean output. Long live the cylinder!

B

BassHead

Banned
Daz3d&Confus3d said:
Deftech...whats the size of your room?
any thing over 15 x 12 wouldnt get the pant legs flapping with a 25-31pci

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
BassHead said:
any thing over 15 x 12 wouldnt get the pant legs flapping with a 25-31pci
I disagree. The 25-31pci is the loudest of the pci series. That is all that is needed to get flapping, SPL.

SheepStar

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
I've got the 25-31plus cylinder. Fantastic for both HT & music. The cylinder fits in my room better than a box. Tucked in a corner nobody even notices it's there. Even my wife doesn't mind. As far as sound goes, according to the guys at SVS the cylinder & box are identical in performance. The only difference is in the cosmetics. I e-mailed quite often w/ questions before I made my purchase. Which ever one you choose you will be very pleased w/ it's performance.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I went with the 20-39 PCi for a couple of reasons:

1. Needed an SVS that could hold its own whether it was music or movies in a medium sized room (30 x 14 x 8).
The 20-39 does exactly this for minimal punch to the wallet. SVS themselves describe the 20-39 as a "best of both worlds" solution and I would have to agree. I was willing to give a little on the musical end to get the low-end extension with a 12", fortunately I don't feel the 20-39 sacrifices much if anything.

2. Wanted solid performance (not the low-end, but certainly not the high-end) at a step above the entry level SVS offerings.
While SVS subs are superb values, they're still not pocket change to the average Tom, D!ck and Harry. The 20-39 is a step above the PB10–ISD and is equal to the PB12–ISD, but after calculating shipping costs for the two, the cylinder saved me more than $50.00 and considering in my application it's hidden, the WAF wasn't an issue. Even if it was, I find the cylinder more appealing than the standard box sub.

Unless you have a 'hang-up' about cylinder shaped subs and they need to be in a box or if the box shape better suits your application or listening environment, the cylinders are a better value.

If I were to do it over again, I would purchase a 22Hz tuned version of the 25-31PCi for just under $575. This would give me (almost) identical performance of the 20-39 in a smaller footprint. Would also save me another $50.00, tough price/performance value to beat by any other manufacturer. Because of my constant battle with upgraditis, I may some day move to a Plus version, but by no means does that mean I'm I not satisfied with the 20-39 PCi. It's just further proof that upgraditis is a real sickness... :p -TD

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Solution for the tube:

GO to Michael's or whatever store you have around that sells artificial plants and trees. Get a nice ficus or potted plant of some sort. Stick it in front of the sub. That's how I have my box hidden and how I plan to have my wife let me get an SVS tube:D

The other thought I had is why don't more manufacturers do what Martin Logan does. I looked at a few of their gigantically priced subs yesterday. They have a super cool metal thing that comes up off the front up to about 5 feet. It looks like art:)

Pat

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Exactly what I did. Here's a snapshot of what mine looks like here. From 5 feet and beyond, you can't even see it...

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
tomd51 said:
Exactly what I did. Here's a snapshot of what mine looks like here. From 5 feet and beyond, you can't even see it...
That's funny, that's how my plant looks. it could easily hide one of those big cannons!

Pat

B

BassHead

Banned
Sheep said:
I disagree. The 25-31pci is the loudest of the pci series. That is all that is needed to get flapping, SPL.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis