Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
BARK said:
Has anyone tested the b k 505?
I did, last year at a high end dealer in north Dallas, TX. It sounded fantastic, and was hooked up to a set of Martin Logans. The only problem with it was it's lack of two more channels. For a 7.1 setup, you need to run a separate two channel stereo amp. It seemed like a waste of two grand to have such a great receiver with 5 powerful amps, but lack the two extra ones to drive the fronts. If you like the B&K line, I'd anti up for the 507 if at all possible. I compared it to the Denon 5803 and Harman Kardon 7300 at the time. After all that demo work, I decided on the Denon 3805 based on so many shop owners recommendations on the unit. I have not been disappointed (although the B&K still looked and sounded awesome).

B

BARK

Enthusiast
B and K

thanks for the reply, the 3805 would save some $$$$$. I did not realize the 505 was 5.1

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
BARK said:
thanks for the reply, the 3805 would save some $$$$$. I did not realize the 505 was 5.1
If your speakers aren't demanding, this is a decent deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14981&item=5778761575&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Here's the 507. Expensive, and the reason I opted or the Denon which was half the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14981&item=5778921778&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The 3805 may not be the same quality, but it has twice the features, and can be bi-amped and has pre-outs for that awesome american two channel amp. Don't take anything away from B&K. It would be sitting in my cabinet if it were priced a little lower. Awesome stuff. BTW, my Denon runs warm also. Typical of higher end AB amps.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I have the B&K Reference 30 and a 7250 amp which are older model separates of the 505 type. I have been very happy with them. They do tend to run hot and I suggest good ventilation or a fan. On my models there is an audible click when switching modes which some abhor but I don't mind. I am told this has been solved.

The interface is very easy once you learn it. The manual is well written and is not a translation from Japanese (something I have always found truly awful about most Japanese receivers). The sound is excellent pushing my Vandersteens. I am happy with 5.2 and have no desire or physical ability in my room for 7 channels. If you have a more typical sub than me the bass management system is very good with adjustable crossover frequencies and slope for all channels. There are good room eq and notch filter functions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis