Axiom speakers reviewed by Soundstage

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This speaker is an odd duck. It's a three-way but I don't see a pressing need for a three-way bookshelf speaker like this. I could kind of see a reason for it if the midwoofer had a greater range, but it only gets 250 Hz to 2.2 kHz. If it had a wider range in order to remove crossover points in a heavily used frequency band, OK, but this doesn't do that. Its just a bookshelf speaker with a 5.25" midwoofer and a 6.5" to take bass. That is what many tower speakers do, but this doesn't have the extension of tower speakers. The measurements aren't terrible anyway, very uniform dispersion which is nice. The bass bump is a bit much, but that can be fixed by equalization, and besides, the room is going to have more to say about the response in that region than the speaker itself. It looks interesting, and I can appreciate that Axiom is trying to do something different.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I see what appear to be a couple of very large resonances! :eek: (Yes, I went there!)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Curious as to how much, if any, this speaker shares with the (Axiom) Bryston T Mini?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think they are built by Axiom, to Bryston specs that are also based on Axiom's but improved with money.
Yes, it is well known that the Mini T and T are built by Axiom as the OEM.

I note that these look similar to the Axiom, but not identical.

My bro-in-law has a set of Axiom speakers, I can't remember if he bought the M60 or the M80 models, paired with a Rythmik FV15HP sub. It actually sounds very good, despite most of the dislike for Axiom that I see on AH.

What I do really like about his Axioms, is that the center channel is a beast! It is the same size as the towers, but a horizontal configuration.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, it is well known that the Mini T and T are built by Axiom as the OEM.

I note that these look similar to the Axiom, but not identical.
It is likely over time, as Bryston gains more experience they would update their specs and get further away from the original Axiom design.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What I do really like about his Axioms, is that the center channel is a beast! It is the same size as the towers, but a horizontal configuration.
Some of the Axoim center channels look disastrously designed. The VP160 doesn't look bad for a center, but the VP150 and VP180 look to have terrible driver layout. I am morbidly curious to see the horizontal dispersion plots for those, they must look positively kaleidoscopic.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Some of the Axoim center channels look disastrously designed. The VP160 doesn't look bad for a center, but the VP150 and VP180 look to have terrible driver layout. I am morbidly curious to see the horizontal dispersion plots for those, they must look positively kaleidoscopic.
I agree. I can't remember which one my bro-in-law has, but his setup actually sounds pretty good.

Which is a bit of a surprise to me due to the general haters of the brand that I see on AH.

I would still take my GE T2 with the Rythmik F15HP over his Axiom with the FV15HP (obviously he has the slight advantage on the sub). But, his setup is better than 95% of anyone else's that I've heard....but I don't really have many local friends that are into the hobby.

And, he has no problem reaching ear-bleed levels driving it off one of the mid-upper Denon AVRs (can't remember, I think he is running the Denon 4300 model)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Listening window from 200Hz-10kHz is ~ -3dB to +3dB, which isn't bad.

But sensitivity of about 83dB/w/m is kind of low, especially for a big bookshelf (1,855 cubic in.).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis