Axiom M60ti: A subjective review

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, since I am far more AH than anyone I know (of course, other than this forum :D), my setup is far superior to anyone in my circle. Indeed, my friends and family cannot understand why I invest so much time, effort and money into AV since they fail to understand the returns (that is not an issue here). Due to my predicament, I have never been able to do an apples to apples comparison with the Axiom's and only compare them to brick and mortar showroom setups. IMHO, in all but the most extreme cases, results of a showroom comparison are subjective, so I am going to stay away from them. All that is soon to change since a fellow AH and I will be getting together to settle the issue once and for all. He recently bought some Polk RTi12 speakers and we are going to do a subjective comparison and maybe some in room measurements. I will post a follow-up notes when we are done.

Tough not to sound like a fan boy with the M60's... but I will try to be honest. Remember it’s subjective, so it’s my way or the highway ;). jk.

I started out with a 2.0 setup, the M60's and a Yamaha HTR-5890 using optical connection from a Samsung DVD player. Back then, the M60's sounded a tad bright and at loud levels I sometimes found myself turning the treble down. There was never the lack of bass or midrange but more on that later. Couple of years later, I got the Denon 3806 and running analog from the 3910, I no longer feel the M60's are bright, if anything, for some time I felt a lack of high frequencies. Also, by the time I got used to the sound of the Denon compared to the Yamaha, I had learnt enough through the AH forum to be able to better optimize my setup through placement, calibration, etc. Maybe better calibration had something to do with taming the high frequencies or maybe I am now used to it. Yet, the hi-hat and cymbals seem very believable on music like Tool and Metallica.

Regarding mid-range, the M60s are very-very good. A friend has Def Tech bookshelf speakers and IMHO, the mid range is superior with the M60’s. I only compared midrange subjectively, with Frank Sinatra playing at moderate volumes, the vocals seem fuller, deeper and the band in general had a bigger sound (\soundstage? He has toe-in comparible to mine but seating is a little closer in his). I listen to a lot of rock music and rhythm guitars sound very realistic (I also play a little rock guitar). Playing the Walkin' Blues track from the Eric Clapton Unplugged CD, the vocals make it feel like he is in the room, the guitar so clear, its absolutely awesome hearing the slide move on the strings and slap against them when he brings it down.

The bass, Ah! The bass! Running in 2.0 or 5.0 mode I can easily shake my walls, 'nuf said about quantity. Even with full range signal, I was not able to make the M60's distort, the walls were shaking so the volume was definitely high. Not wanting to damage the speakers I let it go, safe in the knowledge that there was more than I needed. It is punchy during techno music yet the deep airplane drone in Flight of the Phoenix is boomy. Don't get me wrong, if you like earth shattering bass, you will need a sub. Its just amazing how much bass the twin 6.5" woofers can put out.

Thats it for now. Need to get back to work :D.

Upcoming commentary:
1) In room FR plots for my setup (soon)
2) Write-up after comparison with Polk RTi12s at fellow AH's place

Last edited:
Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm real interested in yor comparison to the RTi12s.
Next to B&W, the Polk sound has always been my favorite of the brands I've been able to demo.
Selfishly, I'd like to hear that the Polks blow the Axioms away.
Let us know.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm interested too. I understand that the impressions given will be 'subjective' but isn't that always the case? :)

I was considering Axioms but I'm leery of them being bright, although I've heard that description applied to Polk as well as just about any other brand - go figure.

I have heard Polks in the past (a friend owned some older models) and they meet my criteria for size and looks. The center channel will fit in my AV stand, the bi/dipole surrounds will fit on the small column where they need to be placed and the Cherry wood veneer is a perfect match for my furniture...now if they just sound good I'm all set because they can be purchased locally. Even if they are a lateral move from my circa 1996 JBL it would be worth buying them.

So let 'er rip...I'd like to hear impressions of the good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe you can even take the speakers apart like Tom Andry does. I really like to hear about build quality as description of the sound is as you say subjective.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Can't wait myself. I have auditioned the polk RTi8's along with some other speakers including the Energy C's & RC's. Since I live Canada pricing on the Axioms has come down so much that I am very much considering them(in place of my Energy RC's). I'll look forward to your impressions because the RTi's did sound nice in my audition and your thoughts will also help me gauge the Axiom sound!

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I own a pair of 60s as well, and frankly they've been amazing. Of coruse this is the first par of decent speakers I've ever owned, but I really love 'em. I find that I can't listen to my poor Altec Lansings anymore :) The sound has always been incredible on this system.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I did some experiments with placement yesterday and after a couple of hours of "move-measure-compare" here is the best FR plot for my setup with crossover set at 60Hz (Note: insane amount of curve smoothing used). Used Room Eq Wizard, free download available here.

I cannot explain the crash above 10KHz. I am at a complete loss. The only thing I can think of is that I am using the RS SPL Meter as the mic. But the software does a correction for the meter. I will start from scratch and recalibrate the RS Meter and give it another shot. In the meanwhile, any suggestions are welcome. One option is to get a calibrated mic, but with the holiday season travel coming up, I want to stay away from making any major purchases.

Next up,
1) Fix the measurement issue above 10KHz
2) Some 2.0 plots with the M60's getting full range signal
3) Comparison with Polk RTi-12

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How are you measuring them? on/off axis, distance, etc?

The phase plug on the tweet will cause a dip above 10kHz if measured on axis.

Also your mic likely isn't calibrated. The M60s 3dB point is NOT 7Hz like your measurement is showing :)

F

freeride

Audioholic Intern
Nice plot. That's a pretty good response over what we saw at my place. I'm going to play with my speakers a bit more over the next week (once I get home) to see if I can get better room response as well.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
How are you measuring them? on/off axis, distance, etc?

The phase plug on the tweet will cause a dip above 10kHz if measured on axis.

Also your mic likely isn't calibrated. The M60s 3dB point is NOT 7Hz like your measurement is showing :)
Somewhere between on-axis and no toe-in. The apex of the triangle will probably be 3-5 ft behind the sweet spot. I tried on axis and no no-toe and various degrees of toe-in, this was the best I could get it.

Good info on the Phase plug, the plot on the Axiom site confirms your info.

I agree regarding the mic not being properly calibrated and therefore causing inaccurate measurements above 7KHz as the plot indicates.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
My M60s

Five years ago, I bought a pair of M60s. I liked them well enough to add a pair of Axiom QS8s for surround as well as the largest of the Axiom centers. I also have a monster Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer, which has two active 12" drivers pumping in opposite directions. Two or three years later, I auditioned a pair of Gallo Reference 3s, with my music, at a dealership, and then brought them home to audition. It was very difficult for me and my wife to say definitively whether the Ref3s or the M60s were sonically superior. However, the Ref3s did sound more open, as they should, based upon their tweeter design and open architcture. I ended up keeping the Ref3s as the mains in the theater, and relegating the M60s to the living room. I am now contemplating bringing the M60s back into the theater for a try-out as surround back speakers, although they will of necessity end up in the rear corners of the room, not in the preferred rear-center position.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis