Axiom EP800 subwoofer at a good price

Patrick Gaspar

Patrick Gaspar

Audiophyte
I have a chance to buy a large refurbished Axiom EP800 sub at $1161US from Axiom refurb store; retail is $2580. Audioholics gave it a "Product of the Year Award" back in 2009. The trend seems to be that buying two smaller units is superior to one large one. Could I add a smaller unit to compliment this one in the future, or should I go with two identical units now and avoid this large one?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
how big is your space ? (total volume in cubic feet)

Patrick Gaspar

Patrick Gaspar

Audiophyte
2700 cu ft min. (viewing area) open concept to another to another 2600 cu ft

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking at Rythmik or Hsu Research subs. The measurements on Axiom subs have never been impressive for the price. It probably not a bad sub, but more can be had for the money from Hsu and Rythmik.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This article should give you an idea on how much sub you need:
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size
tl;dr; your 5300 cuft space is right smack in Extreme room sizes, above mentioned FV15HP would good choice, however you could very similar performance out of this sub for almost $400 less.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
With a room that size, I would spend the extra money to get the extra output that the Rythmic provides.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Split the difference between the VTF3 mk5 and Rythmik FV15HP and get the Hsu VTF15 mk2. It has the cost and performance between the two of them. But any of them would wreck the Axiom subwoofer, I suspect.

S

steves321

Audiophyte
Your loss my gain. I grabbed the EP800 in real pine. Don't have it yet. Probably not until after xmas now as I live on a island and it's longer to ship to me. I have subs from HSU, 2 from SVS, have other brands, yes I also have a Axiom ep500 V3. Axiom gets an undeserved bad rep - mainly by the same two people here (not in this thread) and over at AVS like it's some personal mission of theirs to take Axiom down only to praise the other brands, which always seems very fishy to me. There is no doubt at normal MSRP their sub prices are high, but at a discount you have to start thinking about it. In the USA you got more choices. In Canada we basically have few and Axiom is a very good choice. I find HSU very good, but their electronics is made in china and doesn't last, my amp died with very little use within 5 years and their service to get another one was absolutely horrible and I have no interest in dealing with them ever again. HSU amps dying is not uncommon. SVS has serious issues with their vinyl quality bubbling and peeling like it was installed by a child and the amps made in China as well. SVS service is pretty good though. My first Pb2k arrived DOA and they replaced everything asap without issue and as friendly as one could ask for. I find SVS over rated performance wise on this forum and avs. I like my PB2000 and SB2000 but honestly don't see what the hype is all about. Between the PB and SB the SB is probably more impressive to "me" simply because it performs better than I thought it would after being somewhat underwhelmed by my PB2k. Not that the PB2k is bad, but for it's size and given the hype over them I expected much much better over the Axiom EP500, and it isn't, and the new V4's are better again and sealed. Now price changes everything right? so if you can get HSU or SVS at half the price of the Axiom.....need I say more. The EP800 is large, I do have the perfect spot for it and at 1100 Canadian for a real pine dual sub at 800 watts....I mean common! A SVS PB2k is the same price...and I'm sorry but from the examples from SVS I have, Axiom builds better cabinets. I have several of their speakers and never an issue. Some of them from 2004. Plus Axiom Service is top notch. Friendly and willing to help anytime I've emailed or called.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis