Axiom EP175 v2 to HOT??

V

viper04

Audiophyte
Hello.

I currently own a Axiom EP175 v2 sub woofer. It is kept on/standby all the time. At the back there is a heat sink that is EXTREMELY hot to the touch.

Should the heatsink be that hot even if though its on standby and not playing?
Should I mount a fan or something on it to cool it down?
Or is this normal?

Thanks

Viper

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd contact Axiom, as that does not sound normal. When in idle, it should not get very warm.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I'd call Axiom. I've had 3 different subs now, and none of them ever got hot, even while playing.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just throwing my voice in with the chorus...call Axiom.

The heat that you are feeling is waste heat from the amplifier. When in standby mode, there should be very little power supplied to the amp and that means even less waste heat = basically a room-temperature heat sink. If that thing is extremely hot when in standby mode (and you didn't just get done watching a movie or something), then there's something wrong.

V

viper04

Audiophyte
Just called them.

The heat generated from the sub in standby mode is apparently normal and shouldn't be concerned about it. (there words not mine)

The heat is the same if after watch a movie ect for hours or having it on standby for hours.

Its also right in front of my AC unit (which isn't blowing down on it but is there).

Matt

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've spoken to Axiom customer service reps and at least the guy I talked to seemed to be honest and informative so if they say it is normal that it gets hot, maybe that is accurate.

BUT...how do you feel about it? I'm not the type that has had many different subs but I agree with the others that none of them even get warm. Personally that situation would bother me a lot and I would look to return it or possibly even consider a different brand.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've spoken to Axiom customer service reps and at least the guy I talked to seemed to be honest and informative so if they say it is normal that it gets hot, maybe that is accurate.

BUT...how do you feel about it? I'm not the type that has had many different subs but I agree with the others that none of them even get warm. Personally that situation would bother me a lot and I would look to return it or possibly even consider a different brand.
Agreed.

New slogan: It's a great subwoofer for starting fires!

SheepStar

That amp is always drawing a certain amount of current - even in standby. We had checked with them before on this. It's an odd design decision they made in our opinion.

V

viper04

Audiophyte
not kidding. Just got to remember not to leave anything flammable around it ie. news paper or something. I was thinking of putting a 120mm PC fan on it but i dunno if i need to and the noise might be a problem.

Matt

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm with MDS, I'd return it, even if they say there is nothing wrong with it. A hot amp means when it IS operational will be sacrificing output to heat. Heat is a byproduct of amplification and if the amp is already hot, it is harder for it to shed that byproduct heat IMO. Also, if it is that hot all the time, components on the unit will tend to fail sooner rather than later.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I agree with the heat assessment too. Amps when not being pushed shouldn't be hot. Bottom line.

If you don't feel comfortable w/ it running hot when idle, then don't have it around. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable. Remember the problem is Axiom's, not yours.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
I've even got subs that never turn off and they are just warm to the touch when idle. Extremely hot would worry the crap out of me. I would return it and find another sub. It is their problem. They are a resonable company, I bet they would take it back even after the trial period.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis