Axiom Audio Epic 80 Home Theater Review

<font color='#008080'>As promised, we've finished our review of the Axiom Audio Epic 80 Home Theater System. We took the system through its paces with music and movies and included lots of listening results for you to peruse.

It's no secret that the Axiom Epic 80 system makes up our Reference System #3, and there's good reason. If you're in the market for a great set of speakers at an even greater price, read on.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Clint;

Definately a very nicely written review. &nbsp;Congratulations on your first major product review for our website. &nbsp;We hope to see more &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>A fantastic article that led me directly to the Axiom website where I spent a considerable amount of time. &nbsp;( Thanks for helping me fill a rainy Sunday morning! &nbsp;
&nbsp;)

Just wondering if you had any thoughts about the Epic 60, which I think would fit in my livingroom much better!</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>hawke,

It is an excellent, balanced review as usual. I see that you have placed the rear surrounds on your back instead of the Dolby labs reccomended position of side walls. Yamaha also stresses that their rear surrounds should be on the back instead of sides. I have tried both and find a much better results with Yamaha's reccomended rear position. Much better soundstage.</font>

E

Epic_Gamer

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I want these speakers :)

I was in another forum where I posted a thread about how I wanted these speakers and I was surprised that I got flak over it. I think he just didn't know what hes' talking about :D</font>

<font color='#008080'>I rank speakers based on value - bang for the buck. You'll be hard pressed top beat these. Largely because of the direct-to-consumer model Axiom has employed, resulting in a speaker priced without the level of markup added by resellers.

The ~$2600 Epic 80 speakers, shoudl sell for around $3100+ in my opinion.</font>

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>I have heard speakers from Ascend Acoustics, Axiom Audio, Aperion Audio, and Rocket Loudspeakers.  The internet business model offers a lot of quality for your dollar.

I would recommend Ascend Acoustics and Axiom Audio to any one looking for speakers....budget or not.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Sorry...forgot to log in. &nbsp;That is my post above.

Let me also add that I own speakers from Ascend Acoustics.</font>

E

Epic_Gamer

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>How does the subwoofer compair to other high-end units? I'm certainly no expert but that watt rating seems a bit low, and I like my crash booms and bangs.
Would it be worth it to buy something like a Genesis 928 in place of the Axiom? Or would that not match the other speakers and simply mess everything up?

Mebby someone can educate me on what matters when it comes to subs.
===
Anyone care to chip in ~$3000 to get me some Epic 80s?

I have to put up with Klipsch ;P</font>

<font color='#008080'>I like the Axiom sub, but you have to be careful placing it. In three separate rooms we've had three separate hassles getting it to punch through - more sensitive than any other sub I've ever had in the same rooms. In my current setup it's set 180 degrees out of phase.

Once you get it positioned it sounds great, though not as controlled as some more expensive subs. It's a $620 sub, and it performs at that level in my opinion.</font>

E

Epic_Gamer

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Sounds like a pain in the butt. I'd be tickled pink to have one though, because i'm sure its leagues ahead of my Klipsch.

Has anyone heard that Genesis sub?

Hawke have you heard the Klipsch Promedia? (Uber low end for klipsch, very high end computer)</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
As I mentioned elsewhere in this forum I use Totem Acoustics all around for music. they are very revealing speakers and do the job for dvd-a and sacd nicely, BUT my AXIOM QS4's which are thrown into the mix for film are indispensible.

They suit my room peferctly and spread the soundield into seamless blanket of &quot;you are there&quot;.

It didn't happen on purpose but as a Canadian I'm pretty proud of the quality of speaker that we produce as both of these makes qualify and they must be an absolute steal for my American friends.

Peter m.</font>

2x6spds

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I love Axiom speakers. I had a pair of Infinity Composition Overture 3 towers, very expensive, very highly recommended by the Circuit City professional salespeople. I thought I had a nice sounding system, Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver, Infinity CC3 center, RS3 side surrounds, big Velodyne sub.

On a whim I picked up a Merak MC6H center channel speaker from uBid back when you could get incredible deals on interesting items. To say the $39 Merak absolutely blew away the Infinity CC3 is an understatement. This trapezoid shaped speaker with a pair of 6.5&quot; drivers and a great big horn tweeter (7&quot;x3&quot;) was in a totally different and superior class than the expensive CC3.

I realized I was totally ignorant about equipment, and had assumed a quality/price relationship. The Merak destroyed this simple paradigm.

I got on the internet and did some research - the Merak is the lower end line made by Axiom. I ended up picking up a pair of Axiom M3Ti's and had my first pair of true audiophile speakers. I finally heard the music instead of a stereo. I picked up a pair of M22s, which knocked me out, and then a pair of M50 towers. Loved them all.

Of course, I blame Axiom for my long, dark slide into audio upgraditis - I wanted to hear music reproduction so accurate it would sound like a live performance in my living room. (With some recordings, especially female vocals, I've succeeded, but more on that later.)

Then I found the Michaura speakers. Cruising ubid, last year, I noticed a picture of these Michauras and thought the drivers looked like the ones in the Axiom M22. I grabbed a pair of M55s for $19 each. Holy Moly!! I contacted Michaura and sure enough, Axiom made these speakers for them. I grabbed as many of these M55s as I could. They are gorgeous rosewood finished, M22 like speakers with a pair of 5.25&quot; drivers and a smaller 0.75&quot; Titanium tweeter (Axioms use a 1&quot;).

These M55s have hexagonal shaped cabinets, look 100% better than the Axiom M22s and sound, in my opinion, much, much better. I had never in my life heard such crystal clear, extended highs, the mids are beautiful, better to my ear than the M22, but not as 'round' as what the M3Tis put out.

So, I grabbed some Michaura M665s, similar to the Axiom M60 towers, twin 6.5&quot; drivers, single 0.75&quot; tweeter. Unbelievably good sounding speakers.

I stayed away from Axiom subs, never heard one, but figured I'd go with subs from folks who specialize. My quest ended up with an SVS 20-39 for the Home Theater system, but this sub, although it puts out incredible amounts of accurate bass, looks like a large water heater or maybe a naval nuclear reactor. Not wife friendly at all.

Anyway, I've listened to some very expensive systems with Thiels, Mirage, Definitive Technology, etc. and I can tell you that the Axioms (and Michauras) don't give up that much to these wonderful but very expensive efforts.

Here's a recommendation for a killer, relatively low priced system guaranteed to embarrass many extremely expensive systems:

Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT 5 watt per channel tube integrated amp in single end triode mode, 15wpc in pentode (stay with the 5wpc triode setting) about $750, can be had for less.

A pair of $400 Axiom M22Tis, or if you can find them (Michaura went belly up) a pair of Michaura M55s (can be found occasionally on ebay for about $150.

A Vance Dickason Titanic 10&quot; subwoofer from partsexpress.com - delivered for $350. It's a kit that even I could put together.

Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CDP - upgrade to either Seimens ECC288 tubes, or Ediswans and the Burr Brown Op Amps - about $650.

This system will fill your soul with the purest, sweetest music.

Anyway, Axioms are great. Try them, you can't go wrong.</font>

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I considered Axioms and ended up with Rockets. &nbsp;If you dislike 'bright' sounding speakers and appearance/finish is important to you, the Rockets are the way to go.

I believe Axiom offers a more traditional sounding high-end and a plainer finish. &nbsp;Internet-direct is DEFINITELY the way to go for high-quality and low cost.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Clint,

Great review.

It could have been more in depth as far as home theater goes, but overall an excellent job.

;)~

Bob</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>To all, I've researched the web and listened to speakers at the local audiophile store and want an opinion on Axiom M80ti's and the Energy Veritas V2.4's. Granted there is a difference of $1,700 but from what I read they are what I may like. The Veritas may outclass the Axiom's but I was hoping someone may be able to compare.
Components: Denon 4802R Reciever &amp; DVM 4800</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis