Axiom 5.1 Speakers Placement

J

JohnHarris

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am going to be using a 5.1 Axiom speaker set-up in my basement. We are at the framing stage and my contractor wanted to know where to run the speaker wire. I am located in Canada and thought buying 12 gauge speaker wires from Home Depot would suffice. My question, where should I place my speakers? My TV will be in the centre of a 17 feet long wall. The viewing distance from my 60 inch LCD will be 13-14 feet. The height of my ceiling is 8 feet.

Someone I know suggested that the front and rear speaker should be no more than 9 feet apart. I marked this out but it looks like the speakers are too close together for the size of the room. I will be using Axiom M50 fronts and Axiom QS4 rears. I presume the center channel can go on top of the TV? How high should the rear speakers be placed? Is 9 feet apart too short a distance? Any other advice?

Any suggestions on where to put the speakers these speakers would be appreciated.

John

Last edited:
B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
If you're going to continue with 5.1 and not 7.1, then the rear speakers should be located at approx 135 degrees to the center viewing axis (just behind and to your sides). If they're not floorstanders, they should be mounted approximately 6-6.5' off the floor.

If you're considering going 7.1 in the future (or even if not - you might be later). I'd have him run conduit there, directly to the side of the seating and at the same height, and on the rear wall (distance apart depends on seating distance from rear wall).

That way, you can always do whatever you want and are not locked in. Speaker wire is no big deal 1" Smurf Tube (flex conduit) is relatively inexpensive and small enough that it can go pretty much anywhere.

O

OliverB

Audioholic Intern
I have the axiom 50/500 set, my front speakers are about 13ft from where I sit, the rear speakers are on the sides on one line with my seating position, about 6ft off the ground. Pretty much what the booklet that came with the speakers came said.
They are not the same distance, one is about 9ft, the other about 15ft from where I'm at, but it really makes no difference once you set up your system.

But if you're building, I'd definitely add some empty conduits for future upgrades, and I'd also put a strong string into them before closing the walls. Makes pulling cables through at a later date so much easier, especially with corners.

My TV is off center, since there's a fireplace right in the middle, that's why my rear speakers aren't the same distance. But it even says in their booklet that it doesn't matter. As long as you don't go too far back or in front of your seating area and leave enough room to the ceiling for the top speakers.

Oliver

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis