Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's been a short road so far. There is much to fear ahead. I gotta get the thread going on a laptop to be able to get to the pic on the phone "bear" with me.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What kind of axes, axes for chopping wood? Axes to grind? Axes of evil? :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What kind of axes, axes for chopping wood? Axes to grind? Axes of evil? :)
All of the above! Chopping and splitting to be exact and I was just thinking about a 'what grinds my gears from Rich about those new head lights on cars. Lastly, I thought it was axis of evil but in either case that shoe fitting is more relavent.

Just in case he was looking to hire. :)
View attachment 64427
That's exactly how I'm gonna dress to fell my first tree. Mostly as a disguise though. I know I'm gonna look like an amatuer so ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. What was here
  2. What I bought
  3. What I really needed

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Splitting mall collection!
That Friskars is I think a splittng axe. A maul I think would be heavier.

I just got a small wood stove and got my first cord of wood, finally stacked. Like I'm 58 and the last time I swung an axe to almost amputate an ankle was like 30 years ago. But I am officially an axe wielding albeit peace loving resident of a place called Greystone.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If your as good with an axe as me, I recommend you also keep a sledge hammer and two steel/plastic wedges on hand for those tough ones with knots in the middle. ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If your as good with an axe as me, I recommend you also keep a sledge hammer and two steel/plastic wedges on hand for those tough ones with knots in the middle. ;)

That was also here when I got here. We put the stove in.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So the first real strike with the Friskars was remarkably humiliating. I would have felt some real man/ego type stuff if I had swung true but well, it didn't go like that.

However using it as prescribed was like 10X easier than anything I had done up until now. Even the sound is different. Like match sticks splitting.

So the first axe in that line up is a brutalized cheapo that sent shudders up to my teeth.

The second is a 4lb Craftsman head..

The last is the tool of choice for the task at hand. Freakin' love it.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
So the first real strike with the Friskars was remarkably humiliating. I would have felt some real man/ego type stuff if I had swung true but well, it didn't go like that.

However using it as prescribed was like 10X easier than anything I had done up until now. Even the sound is different. Like match sticks splitting.

So the first axe in that line up is a brutalized cheapo that sent shudders up to my teeth.

The second is a 4lb Craftsman head..

The last is the tool of choice for the task at hand. Freakin' love it.
FWIW, there are quite a few videos on youtube about splitting firewood with an axe. People have come up with a surprising number of ways to make it quicker and more efficient.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Just get 2 subwoofers and forget all that lumber jack stuff.

After all, this an AH thread.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My son is into refurbishing old axes, and then selling them. I went to my garage and found this old ax rusting. I was with my father in 1957 when he bought this at Sears. It’s a Sears Craftsman ax. In those days Sears axes were made by a company called Plumb. My son said I want it! He said if you remove the rest, polish it up and sharpen the edge, you can sell it for as much as $300.

Zoom in on the head of the ax in the photo. Look on the left side, and see the Plumb imprint. Ax collectors want to see the original handle.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis