Awkward room setup for surround... will this be a problem?

X

xSeanZx

Enthusiast
Okay, so I have a pretty small room. The measurements are about 12 1/2 feet in length and 10 feet in width.

Now because it is so small, to make my large TV fit I need to sit it in the corner to have any realistic room to work with my other things.

So here is why it is a bit weird. Since the TV is in the corner, my left front speaker actually is positioned behind the tv. This also means that essentially the center speaker is in front of the "front left". Now when I sit to watch the TV since I am angled to the corner, my right surround is basically behind me and my left surround is directly to my left in the corner rather than both me and the speaker being parallel with the back wall.

I have the sub next to the TV on the left of it facing away from the wall..

So my question is this: would a calibration mic make it so that this setup is not a problem... if not.. should move the speakers to their respective normal positions but diagonally rather than a normal straight on TV setup?

Also I have my speakers in each corner, up towards the ceiling. I sort of have to do this because of the nature of my room... is this a huge problem? If so I can probably figure out a way to move them lower but it would be a hassle.

I appreciate your help!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like an absolute nightmare compounded with very bad decisions.

We need pics.

I vote to downstream to a stereo rig. Left speaker behind* the TV. What.

I can even understand just selling all of it, and just using the TV speakers.

X

xSeanZx

Enthusiast
There isnt much I can do with the space like I said... I can always move the speakers to their respective positions in a diagonal manner but it would definitely look sloppy and wiring would be messy. Ill put pics up in a few.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
pics needed .........................

X

xSeanZx

Enthusiast
Sorry about that I went to dinner with my girlfriend. Anyways I took my surround system back to Best Buy for the time being so I can only give pictures and locate where the speakers would be.

Keep in mind I am facing the TV head on, so in essence the front left speaker is directly in front of me and the surround right is sort of behind me... I really cant rearrange because of the little space I have it makes it nearly impossible.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The *very max* I would recommend in this room is 2.1. I did say very max, assuming that the layout remains the same. Otherwise, TBH, my first recommendation is to just use the TV speakers. Or perhaps something in between the first two ideas, and a 2.0 rig. Forget surrounds. Forget center speaker. Forget left speaker being center and above (wtf). (edit) or the right speaker placement. what in the world . . .

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I agree just go with 2.1 setup no surrounds, I would definitely try to get the speakers to the left and right sides of the TV if they are too big sell em and get two tall narrow fronts only, that speaker behind the TV is completely useless at this point unless you need it to put a plant on top or something like that but for sound quality well there will be none to speak about.I like scrabble , kewl game.

X

xSeanZx

Enthusiast
Well let me ask you this... what if rather than rearranging my room, I just put the speakers in different locations that would make them head on in a digaonal fashion?

So for instance put that front left speaker actually to the left of the tv on the wall facing me rather than in the corner... and I did that for all of the speakers so I basically make it like I am with a straight setup except it is diagonal.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
if it were me. i would get a small speaker system, say 6" 2 ways. put the mains right next to the tv, and the center right on top of the tv. or no center. and experiment with the surrounds.

or

a nice speaker bar. i heard some of them sound pretty good.

and a small sub somewhere.

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
if it were me i would re-arrange my room ;)
I agree. You can put a 5.1 system in any room...

Its all in how you arrange then set your speakers. That was my room in Hawaii before I deployed to Iraq earlier this year. I used the calibration mic that came with my Yamaha receiver and it turned out pretty good, I used the results from the calibration and then played with it further. It took some time but I finally was able to set it up the way I wanted it. You will have to rearrange your stuff though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis