AVR-X3800H Using Pre out for zone 2

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It works on the Height speakers only.
It seems then that those RCAs are not connected. The only thing you can try now is to do a hard reset and then do another set up. Make sure that you make a note of your settings, as they will all be wiped out.

If that doesn not work, then somehow those RCA outputs are not connected.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, the Zone 2 function works. Before resorting to a reset, change the amp assign to 9.1 with a 5.1.4 speaker configuration. Leave the speakers connected to Height 2. Select Multi CH Stereo in Main Zone. Check that all speakers work. Turn on Zone 2. See if signal is sent from pre out to second receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you are feeling really adventurous and want to isolate the problem to the Denon, you can try a Zone loop. Simply connect a set of cables from the Denon’s Zone 2 pre out to the Denon’s CD analog input ports. Set the Main Zone to the CD input source. Turn ON Zone 2 and try streaming something using HEOS to Zone 2. The audio should be output to the Main Zone speakers if the pre outs are working properly.

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
trebdp83! What a great idea. I set up the loop and used the Heos app and it broadcast to the main speakers. Then I plugged into the second receiver and it worked! I'm not exactly sure what changed TBH. I do know, however, that the only way that the cable box will work is by using the "source". If I pick cable on Heos, it doesn't go to the zone 2. Must be the hdmi problem you guys were pointing out earlier. I didn't try all the sources, but since I know I can get my ipod to work and the cable via source I think I have enough to go on.

I'm guessing the problem I was having was some combination of wrong sources and connections. Weird, but seems to be working now!

Thanks to all of you who helped out! I REALLY appreciate your patience with this issue.

Joe

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
trebdp83! What a great idea. I set up the loop and used the Heos app and it broadcast to the main speakers. Then I plugged into the second receiver and it worked! I'm not exactly sure what changed TBH. I do know, however, that the only way that the cable box will work is by using the "source". If I pick cable on Heos, it doesn't go to the zone 2. Must be the hdmi problem you guys were pointing out earlier. I didn't try all the sources, but since I know I can get my ipod to work and the cable via source I think I have enough to go on.

I'm guessing the problem I was having was some combination of wrong sources and connections. Weird, but seems to be working now!

Thanks to all of you who helped out! I REALLY appreciate your patience with this issue.

Joe
Kinda sounds like you're just running into limits on what zone 2 can play due drm from hdmi....one solution to that IME is to connect gear that has both an hdmi output and analog output to your avr so zone 2 has more options....

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
Kinda sounds like you're just running into limits on what zone 2 can play due drm from hdmi....one solution to that IME is to connect gear that has both an hdmi output and analog output to your avr so zone 2 has more options....
yes, it was this post. I'm not sure what you mean? What "gear" would I connect?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yes, it was this post. I'm not sure what you mean? What "gear" would I connect?
For example I have a bluray player with both hdmi output as well as 2ch analog output, so using both connections I can get the content via both avenues rather than being limited.....try it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If that is true it is strange. Those left and right zone to line audio outs are really no different than any other preout. I would not have thought that DRM would be an issue in that context. If that is true, then we can expect problems with pre/outs. If you extrapolate from that it would be the end of AVPs. So I find it hard to believe that DRM issues are preventing audio output from a pair RCA sockets.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
When trying to send the signal of an HDMI connected device to Zone 2, the audio signal must be PCM 2.0. Some receivers and devices will actually change the signal output of the device when trying to send the signal to Zone 2.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure how that work?
As HD said, Denon/Marantz owners manuals are generally quite informative. Good to know you've got it working the way you want it, but if you run into further issues, your best bet is go back to the owner's manual and then if there is something unclear about it, or you can't find the info in the manual then you can post here again and see if some of us can help you find the answer.

For zone2, the following shows which pages you should read up on:

1702043880400.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If that is true it is strange. Those left and right zone to line audio outs are really no different than any other preout. I would not have thought that DRM would be an issue in that context. If that is true, then we can expect problems with pre/outs. If you extrapolate from that it would be the end of AVPs. So I find it hard to believe that DRM issues are preventing audio output from a pair RCA sockets.
That's my understanding at least, that it is due drm, maybe it's just an engineering decision, not sure. I just know I can get around the limitations on that particular avr (a bit older Denon 3808) using the analog input for a source along with the hdmi.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's my understanding at least, that it is due drm, maybe it's just an engineering decision, not sure. I just know I can get around the limitations on that particular avr (a bit older Denon 3808) using the analog input for a source along with the hdmi.
If basic analog outputs are getting caught up in this DRM, then that is bad system creep. This should not be tolerated at all.

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
As HD said, Denon/Marantz owners manuals are generally quite informative. Good to know you've got it working the way you want it, but if you run into further issues, your best bet is go back to the owner's manual and then if there is something unclear about it, or you can't find the info in the manual then you can post here again and see if some of us can help you find the answer.

For zone2, the following shows which pages you should read up on:

View attachment 64581
Peng, yeah, I found those in the manual, I tried what I thought they were saying, but it wasn't working. There weren't a lot of details. It finally did, just work, but I'm still not sure exactly what was different in my last attempt. Thanks for the info. Trust me, I *did* try multiple things before posted here. You guys have been awesome. Much appreciated!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng, yeah, I found those in the manual, I tried what I thought they were saying, but it wasn't working. There weren't a lot of details. It finally did, just work, but I'm still not sure exactly what was different in my last attempt. Thanks for the info. Trust me, I *did* try multiple things before posted here. You guys have been awesome. Much appreciated!
May be the mute was on, accidentally?

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
Nah, I triple checked it. I think it was a combination thing where I just never got all the right things set correctly at the same time. Probably didn't do a good job of isolating to one change at a time. I think the key *might* have been having to use the HEOS app to get it to work.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Using controller apps for Zone 2 functions is much easier than using the receiver remote controller. You can see the Zones separately and actually see what is selected for Zone 2 without pecking at the remote controller and potentially screwing things up.

The HDMI PCM 2.0 requirement for audio in Zone 2 applies when a specific source device is selected for output in Zone 2. So, if selecting the CBL/SAT input source device with a DD 5.1 signal in play for Zone 2, there will be no audio output in Zone 2 unless the audio is manually or automatically switched to PCM 2.0. Some devices actually can and do make the automatic switch to PCM 2.0 for Zone 2.

However, if “Source” is selected for Zone 2 while CBL/SAT is selected in the Main Zone, audio from CBL/SAT will be output in Zone 2 without needing the PCM 2.0 setting. This is a feature common among different brand AVRs. So, selecting Blu-ray in the Main Zone and CBL/SAT in Zone 2 using only HDMI connections means the CBL/SAT signal will need to be set to PCM 2.0 for output to Zone 2. That setting can be made at the source and also in the receiver itself in the Zone 2 Setup.

IMG_4376.jpeg

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
So, sounds like I need to find the "HDMI Audio" setting in the menu and change to PCM or it won't play the cable box or blue-ray player through zone 2 (unless using source). Correct?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis