AVR-X3800H Using Pre out for zone 2

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
Denon AVR-X3800H - I've got a second receiver connected to the Zone 2 pre-out connectors, but I cannot get any sound. If I connect to the Height 2, I can get sound, but I cannot get the other receiver to get sound. I'd like to connect two sets of speakers so, this is the only way I can think to make it work. Any advice on how to get that set up. I looked through a lot of posts and the worthless Denon manual without finding a solution.

Thanks in advance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon manuals are fairly good generally. When you connect to height 2 that is successful using zone 2? Just the zone 2 pre-outs don't work? What speaker configuration and connections are you using?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Denon AVR-X3800H - I've got a second receiver connected to the Zone 2 pre-out connectors, but I cannot get any sound. If I connect to the Height 2, I can get sound, but I cannot get the other receiver to get sound. I'd like to connect two sets of speakers so, this is the only way I can think to make it work. Any advice on how to get that set up. I looked through a lot of posts and the worthless Denon manual without finding a solution.

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately you can not do what you want. Zone 2 has an HDMI out, but is only an HDMI for and end device, and not a pass through device like a receiver. It is for connection to a second TV and the audio is mixed down to 2 channel from that connector

This is all part of Digital Rights Management, DRM. A TV only needs one connection handshake, but through devices have to make continuous constand handshakes or the connection will break right away.

There is a speaker level zone 2 out, that is available from the height 2 speaker terminals. This will not help you. There is a two channel RCA audio out for a zone 2 connection to an audio power amplifier.

I have to say, I have not come across a set up quite like this before. I have a suspicion it is something to do with strengthening of DRM rules to prevent piracy.

I should also point out that that Zone 2 out on the Height 2 is speaker level and not meant to be connected to a receiver.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure what you want two receivers connected together.

I think it is pretty usual to only get sound from one zone at a time. I know on my AVP you can only select zone 1 or 2. I am pretty sure I could not get both.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks in advance.
There are limitations concerning Zone 2 output. What is the current speaker configuration/amp assign in the Denon? What is the device used for audio here? What is the signal being sent out of it? What is the other receiver model? To which ports on it are the Zone 2 cables from the Denon connected? It is impossible to help solve the problem without ALL of the information concerning the setup.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately you can not do what you want. Zone 2 has an HDMI out, but is only an HDMI for and end device, and not a pass through device like a receiver. It is for connection to a second TV and the audio is mixed down to 2 channel from that connector

This is all part of Digital Rights Management, DRM. A TV only needs one connection handshake, but through devices have to make continuous constand handshakes or the connection will break right away.

There is a speaker level zone 2 out, that is available from the height 2 speaker terminals. This will not help you. There is a two channel RCA audio out for a zone 2 connection to an audio power amplifier.

I have to say, I have not come across a set up quite like this before. I have a suspicion it is something to do with strengthening of DRM rules to prevent piracy.

I should also point out that that Zone 2 out on the Height 2 is speaker level and not meant to be connected to a receiver.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure what you want two receivers connected together.

I think it is pretty usual to only get sound from one zone at a time. I know on my AVP you can only select zone 1 or 2. I am pretty sure I could not get both.
Why wouldn't his zone 2 pre-outs work? He's using another avr as an amp. Assuming he's got it connected well, of course. Some avrs have a party mode where you can play zones simultaneously.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
@joethejet simply tried using the Height 2/Zone 2 Speaker terminals to test if a signal was in fact output using the Zone 2 function. It seems the RCA cables connected from the Denon's Zone 2 pre outs are not sending a signal out or the signal is not being output from second receiver's speakers for another reason.
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 4.28.19 PM.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@joethejet simply tried using the Height 2/Zone 2 Speaker terminals to test if a signal was in fact output using the Zone 2 function. It seems the RCA cables connected from the Denon's Zone 2 pre outs are not sending a signal out or the signal is not being output from second receiver's speakers for another reason.
View attachment 64564
I was thinking it must lead towards amp assignment, but the post was hard to extrapolate a lot from.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Why wouldn't his zone 2 pre-outs work? He's using another avr as an amp. Assuming he's got it connected well, of course. Some avrs have a party mode where you can play zones simultaneously.
The Pre-outs are the same as the height two. So if you use the pre-out which is height two, then that is the only output active. I think he wants to use both receivers at once, and he had found out it is either or, and not both at once.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Pre-outs are the same as the height two. So if you use the pre-out which is height two, then that is the only output active. I think he wants to use both receivers at once, and he had found out it is either or, and not both at once.
It is kinda hard to comment further at least without knowing more about the setup....I may have underestimated the creativity of setup the OP imagined no doubt.....

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
Ok, sorry more details. On the picture below, I'm running the Zone 2 connection to another reciever. Into it's "CD In" ports. Then I select CD on that receiver. This worked with my old Harmon Kardon (in fact it was the only way to do zone 2!) Obviously when I do this I can link more than one set of speakers to the Zone 2.

1701921863382.png

I'm trying to do this, but maybe my receiver isn't a "power amp" I would think it is however.
1701921801000.png

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
What is the source of the signal. Is it from a device connected to one of the HDMI ports?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok, sorry more details. On the picture below, I'm running the Zone 2 connection to another reciever. Into it's "CD In" ports. Then I select CD on that receiver. This worked with my old Harmon Kardon (in fact it was the only way to do zone 2!) Obviously when I do this I can link more than one set of speakers to the Zone 2.

View attachment 64568

I'm trying to do this, but maybe my receiver isn't a "power amp" I would think it is however.
View attachment 64567
I knew that is what you are trying to do. But as I understand it you can not play zone 1 and 2 at the same time. If you select zone 2 the device essentially becomes a two channel receiver with two channel preamps for a power amp. Once you select zone two everything is mixed down to two channel stereo, and it is effectively a two channel receiver. The preouts of that receiver are zone 2 and the speaker outputs switch to the height 2 speaker terminals. With an arrangement like that, it would be pretty hard to see how it could be designed to use the main and zone 2 at the same time.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Getting sounds to both Zones is both signal and source setting dependent. It is possible to get a signal to both Zones at the same time. If the source of the signal is from a device connected via HDMI and the signal is anything put PCM 2.0, there will be an issue if Zone 2 input it set to a specific source device rather than just source. We need that source device info.

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
I knew that is what you are trying to do. But as I understand it you can not play zone 1 and 2 at the same time. If you select zone 2 the device essentially becomes a two channel receiver with two channel preamps for a power amp. Once you select zone two everything is mixed down to two channel stereo, and it is effectively a two channel receiver. The preouts of that receiver are zone 2 and the speaker outputs switch to the height 2 speaker terminals. With an arrangement like that, it would be pretty hard to see how it could be designed to use the main and zone 2 at the same time.
I can see what you're saying, but doesn't the diagram show that working? Right now I have it plugged in (no sound of course) and have a different set of speakers wired to the Height and it works for those speakers along with Main Zone. So, even though it's sending sound to the 2nd receiver (apparently), it's connected and both zones work.

Trebdp83 I tried it with hdmi, internet radio, my ipod via Heos and a blue-ray. None of them worked. All worked to my speakers attached to the Height connections.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
You did turn Zone 2 ON right? Amp assign is 7.1 + Zone 2? You want two sets of speakers because one set is in another room with the second receiver, right? Remember the part about needing ALL of the information?

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
You did turn Zone 2 ON right? Amp assign is 7.1 + Zone 2?
Yes, if I didn't do this, my Height speakers wouldn't do zone 2 right?

I think it changed the cable box to PCM. Not sure what it did for music from my Heos app(ipod). That's connected via wifi. Don't think that's HDMI.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
What is the amp assign? What is the speaker configuration in the Main Zone? Is Z2 lit up on the front display when trying to use Zone 2?

J

joethejet

Enthusiast
the amp assign is 7.1+ zone 2. When I turn on Zone 2, it shows up as on and sound plays in the speakers attached to the Height, but not those attached to the second receiver. I can change the inputs to zone 2 also.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

the amp assign is 7.1+ zone 2. When I turn on Zone 2, it shows up as on and sound plays in the speakers attached to the Height, but not those attached to the second receiver. I can change the inputs to zone 2 also.
What happens if you just select Zone 2 only?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis