AVR-X3600H and ARC issues to TCL TV

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Still don't see how you can derive any meaningful statistics from Amazon reviews....GIGO

e.g. 4 percent of what exactly?
I feel the same, but even more puzzling is how come I couldn't find any reference to the AVR-X3600H on Amazon.com that is in fact their US site, yet TLSG said he got it from the US site, WTH? Nothing on Amazon.ca either. Yet it did show up on the UK site but just a few ratings.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Do you mean your AVR quit working completely, or do you mean ARC is not working?
fascinating theories all and great info thanks. No the unit stopped working through the receiver altogether in EARC mode so i had to turn on the tv speakers and run it through optical cable. I know that most programs are only broadcast in 5.1 at best but I wanted to feel assured if there are any programs or movies in Atmos or 7.1 i would receive them from Netflix or Amazon and regular TV via the EARC but they don't pass through the receiver this way. My tv will sometimes recognize the receiver in EARC when i run the check in the tv settings and most often it doesn't sense it any longer. Very odd. More often EARC iosn't working then working. It's the AVR-
X3500h. Frustrating to say the least but still works and I did get all the settings right.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My X4400H was quite finicky in the beginning too, had to do the unplugging (TV and or AVR), changing sequence routinely, but after a few FW updates (no idea which one did the trick) it finally settling down and has been working 99% of the time. Once in the blue moon when it wouldn't work (no sound), I would switch the AVR off with the remote and turn it back on then all would be good again.

So based on the symptoms, I think the 1% problem has to do with imperfect HDMI handshaking that appeared to be largely fixable via FW. As to whether the TV (Sony in this case), or the AVR, or both was/were the problem I would never know as both have a few FW updates. I would think since the OP has the two model years newer Denon than mine, probably the TV is responsible but again, hard to know.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
My X4400H was quite finicky in the beginning too, had to do the unplugging (TV and or AVR), changing sequence routinely, but after a few FW updates (no idea which one did the trick) it finally settling down and has been working 99% of the time. Once in the blue moon when it wouldn't work (no sound), I would switch the AVR off with the remote and turn it back on then all would be good again.

So based on the symptoms, I think the 1% problem has to do with imperfect HDMI handshaking that appeared to be largely fixable via FW. As to whether the TV (Sony in this case), or the AVR, or both was/were the problem I would never know as both have a few FW updates. I would think since the OP has the two model years newer Denon than mine, probably the TV is responsible but again, hard to know.
yes, sounds like it is the handshake. I downloaded a New update on the TCL this week, a new update on the Denon the end of april and after unplugging both tv and receiver yesterday and resetting all the settings in the receiver........... nothing. It is temperamental and really no rhyme and reason when it works. I will try resetting some of the settings again and one more unplugging and might factory reset the receiver but I also am convinced its the TV. Crazy. Optical seems the way to go. I may order an EARC compliant HDMI cable from Amazon even though ihave quite a few good ones here and see if that will work. Not sure. Price is good on it now. Perhaps that will work? not sure. I did a hard soft reset on the front panel 3x and shite. I hooked up the optical and went back to that for now. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis