D

ddjr

Audioholic
I tried all the settings today, with music, movies, and tv. I seem to like the multi channel stereo one best. The others sre much quieter. I can use "srereo" and just turn it up and it sounds good. I have settings like "dts neo 6 music or cinema" and "pro logic ii" for music and cinema. Should these sound better than multi channel stereo and stereo?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried all the settings today, with music, movies, and tv. I seem to like the multi channel stereo one best. The others sre much quieter. I can use "srereo" and just turn it up and it sounds good. I have settings like "dts neo 6 music or cinema" and "pro logic ii" for music and cinema. Should these sound better than multi channel stereo and stereo?
It really boils down to personal preference. I'd say a lot depends on the source too. SADCs and Blu rays mixed in 5.1 I would watch in Dolby or DTS. Music CDs and streaming services are mixed in stereo so I listen to my music CDs (which is pretty much all of my music) in stereo. So I tend to play back different sources as they're intended.

That's me tho. Some folks like all channel stereo and Dolby/DTS upmixers for music and some folks don't have room for speakers and watch or listen to 5.1 Blu rays and SACDs in stereo or 3.1. I lean toward listening and watching as close to intended as I can, but on rare occasions with certain music I'll use Dolby upmixing with center spread on. I can say that I don't like all channel stereo for anything. I can turn it up louder than necessary in regular 2 channel stereo and have a nice big front stage with great imaging. I lose all of that with all channel stereo. My front L/R are my best speakers. I think that's the case with most of us. I think music is where they really shine so I let them sing. With a li'l help from my subs of course!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well in the end it is about what you like the best, and it wouldn't be multich stereo just because its louder for me. The surround upmixers will send different information to the center and surrounds; the multich stereo will simply sum the L/R signal for the center channel and just repeat the L/R signal for each pair of surrounds. Whether you like 2ch content upmixed to surround is another thing, some like it, some don't. I like it for some stuff, but still listen to plenty of 2ch just as 2ch. Experiment with each mode with both music and various 2ch tv shows/movies, see if you find you have specific mode preferences....

D

ddjr

Audioholic
So I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my av receiver... the speakers I'm using are pretty good. Is my denon avr s500bt outdated, in need of rereading? I'm just not happy with the sound. It could all boil down to covid(have to be quiet all day- kids at homeschool, wife working from home). It could be the room. My placement of speakers. And it could be my avr...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my av receiver... the speakers I'm using are pretty good. Is my denon avr s500bt outdated, in need of rereading? I'm just not happy with the sound. It could all boil down to covid(have to be quiet all day- kids at homeschool, wife working from home). It could be the room. My placement of speakers. And it could be my avr...
Well consider that is pretty much at the bottom of their avr offerings, so has limitations in power supply/amps as well as feature set. I generally prefer at least a mid range if not flagship avr.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Better room correction, preouts, independent sub preouts and the ability to make adjustments to your curve are some of what you gain with a mid tier or higher avr when it comes to Denon or Marantz. I'm very much a proponent of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and the app controller.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
What would be an improvement for an av receiver? One that is current, but not a bank breaker. As always, used is fine...

D

ddjr

Audioholic
There is an avr x-2000 on eBay for $99. Would that fit the bill?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis