I've got some noob questions.

I have the following set up:
  • Polk R200 bookshelf speakers
  • SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer
  • Onkyo TX-NR7100 AV receiver
The Onkyo speaker configuration is set as 2.1

Listening modes I choose:
  • Music - Stereo
  • Netflix - Older shows Dolby Surround (2.1). Newer shows automatically set to Dolby Vision
  • Games - Dolby Surround 2.1
Are the listening modes I choose correct or should they always be set to Dolby Surround 2.1?

Other modes such as DTS, DTS Neutral don't seem appropriate.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's really no "correct" especially when changing the original format (like going frrom 2.0 to 2.1 or 2.0 to 5.1 etc.) but rather what you find enjoyable. You may find different settings for music vs tv vs movies are in order, too. Hard to know what you like. You are limited by your speaker setup. Some soundtracks will have a core 2.0 component or your avr can downmix as needed if you setup your speakers in the avrs properly. You really need more speakers to take advantage of the audio possibilites, tho...

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Test the different sound settings and choose those that fit your ear from that particular source. Pretty simple.

C

CMG_ADL

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. The listening modes are just personal preference. Got it.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Direct is my preference to hear source as intended

D

diwit

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I've got some noob questions.

I have the following set up:
  • Polk R200 bookshelf speakers
  • SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer
  • Onkyo TX-NR7100 AV receiver
The Onkyo speaker configuration is set as 2.1

Listening modes I choose:
  • Music - Stereo
  • Netflix - Older shows Dolby Surround industrial flooring toronto (2.1). Newer shows automatically set to Dolby Vision
  • Games - Dolby Surround 2.1
Are the listening modes I choose correct or should they always be set to Dolby Surround 2.1?

Other modes such as DTS, DTS Neutral don't seem appropriate.
I have learning difficulties and this stuff just blows my mind. I have a Panasonic Viera TX-55CX802B bought in 2015 and I think it has HDR but if I remember right its for old movies on 4k. We got a Marantz pm6004 amp and would like a av amp for music and movies. We like to have a Marantz setup, AVR, 4K and speaker setup that is easy enough to setup. Budget is £1000 to £2000 without the TV of course and needs to be upgradable and last at least 10 years. Want to keep below the diminishing returns. I am setting up a raspberry pi movie sever too but not sure if I can do that lol so its going to be interesting. I got someone talking to me to do that setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis