AVR recommendations and feed back request

L

Lattegirl

Audiophyte
Hello everyone!
I am requesting some help on selecting a receiver/receiver and amp. I currently have a Yamaha RX V992 receiver, Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 speakers, Wharfedale Diamond 9 CM center speaker and a Klipsch R12SW subwoofer.
The system will be used for music listening and for movies, room size 15x15.
option 1: purchase a gently used Yamaha RX V1081 (I would Bi-amp the front speakers with this option)
option 2: purchase a new Marantz 1509 and a crown XLS 1002 amp.
The difference in price between the two options are approximately $600 Canadian dollars.
I would rather not spend the extra money providing I'm getting the same sounds.
What are your thoughts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you must choose from those 2, I would go with the RX-V1081. Otherwise, I would wait for the AVR-X3500H to go on sales, probably soon. The NR1509 seems a little too weak for your speakers, depending on your seating distance and how loud you need for music and movies.

An online spl calculator can help you find your power needs:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you must choose from those 2, I would go with the RX-V1081. Otherwise, I would wait for the AVR-X3500H to go on sales, probably soon. The NR1509 seems a little too weak for your speakers, depending on your seating distance and how loud you need for music and movies.

An online spl calculator can help you find your power needs:
Every time someone posts a link to that calculator I can't stop myself from playing with it, lol.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Every time someone posts a link to that calculator I can't stop myself from playing with it, lol.
Imo it is arguably the best, as long as one knows what to do if the speaker sensitivity is specified in 2.83V/m instead of 1W/m that calculator is based on.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Lattegirl,
I have an RXV-992 as well that I bought in 1998. It's a great receiver and they don't make them like that anymore. I believe Gene had one in the past as well. If I change to another receiver, I'm looking at Yamaha based on my experience.

However you could always keep it and just add an amp to it no? That's what I did. Unless you want the DTS and the new formats. I've been getting away without needing them so far. As my music source I have an integrated amp (in hindsight I probably should have just got a regular two channel amp) and put it in bypass mode to power the front 2 channels for movies.

Z

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you changing receivers? Old one quit working or is there a particular feature you're looking for in a new one? Bi-amping with an avr is of very limited value except to those selling you wires...I'm thinking the way you put it you're concerned about amp power?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, agreed, bi-amping through the AVR only robs total available power from all channels. If you just have to Bi-amp your mains, you should consider external amplification for that. Two matched stereo amps, or a five-channel that you can use to also power your center would be the better way to approach “Buy-Amping.” (Or several monoblocks like the outlaw 2200.)

L

Lattegirl

Audiophyte
lovinthehd and ryanosaur,
The receiver is going strong, however, I would like some additional power. In the past I had a Luxman m-03 power amp connected to the RXV992 with a pair of Kef reference 104.2. I would love to hear that quality again!! I sold the speakers and amp because I don't want to lug 90 pound speakers and a 50 pound amp any more (I'm retired :) . Clean power makes a huge difference. Are you referring to Bi-wiring or Bi-amp? I'm comfortable in saying that if you have a strong amp, Bi-amp would be a good solution without spending huge money on multiple amplifiers.

L

Lattegirl

Audiophyte
Zildjianmeister,
You are correct it is a great receiver and I'm happy to hear yours is still running strong. I would keep mine and add an external amp if I knew that I wouldn't run into any problems regarding copyrights. I would just run all HDMI cables to the TV and a fiber optic cable from TV to the RXV992. I just don't want to spend a pile of money. Thx

L

Lattegirl

Audiophyte
Peng,
Thank you for your thoughts. The Denon X3500 was also on my shopping list, however, the cost was considerably more. I have the ability to purchase the gently used Yamaha for $550 CDN, or a new Denon X3500 for approximately $850 CDN. I really have no requirement for loud, just good quality sound for both movies and music listening.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The receiver is going strong, however, I would like some additional power. In the past I had a Luxman m-03 power amp connected to the RXV992 with a pair of Kef reference 104.2. I would love to hear that quality again!! I sold the speakers and amp because I don't want to lug 90 pound speakers and a 50 pound amp any more (I'm retired :) . Clean power makes a huge difference. Are you referring to Bi-wiring or Bi-amp? I'm comfortable in saying that if you have a strong amp, Bi-amp would be a good solution without spending huge money on multiple amplifiers.
Why not just get another power amp then? If you want a lighter amp try one of the class D amps....I use several Crown XLS amps, plenty of clean power. I'm referring to passive bi-amping with your avr (bi-wiring is even less useful). You're still stuck with the same powersupply for the whole avr. Now, if you're talking real bi-amping with an active crossover, that's something to consider in the right circumstances (but you'd need to remove the passive crossover from your speakers to implement such).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It was changing speakers that caused the loss of sound quality, not the amp!
The Wharfdale Diamond 9.5 is a decent speaker for the cost, but it is not a great speaker!
With a little patience, wait until the Infinity R162's go back on sale (<$200/pr) and you will get a significant boost in SQ!

L

Lattegirl

Audiophyte
lovinthehd,
just so we are on the same page,
The Yamaha RX V1081 that I'm thinking of purchasing has bi amp capabilities as per the manual and my Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 speakers have Bi amp capabilities. no sure what you mean about removing the passive crossover.

L

Lattegirl

Audiophyte
Kew,
I have yet to hear a speaker that sound as good as the 104's. I prefer the British sound and that's why I selected Wharfedale. My current receiver doesn't have the punch required to liven them up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovinthehd,
just so we are on the same page,
The Yamaha RX V1081 that I'm thinking of purchasing has bi amp capabilities as per the manual and my Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 speakers have Bi amp capabilities. no sure what you mean about removing the passive crossover.
It's basically marketing bullshit to put it briefly. The terminals on the speakers are mostly about marketing so they all have them to remain competitve (and have read comments by many speaker designers to that effect), and the avr marketing folk thought they'd help out I suppose, it all sells more stuff in the end. Did you read the article I linked? If you want a more powerful amp, then get a more powerful amp is the general recommendation rather than the passive bi-amping thing (particularly the avr version). An external amp with your avr is one way to go as long as your avr has pre-outs for the appropriate channels.

L

Lattegirl

Audiophyte
It's basically marketing bullshit to put it briefly. The terminals on the speakers are mostly about marketing so they all have them to remain competitve (and have read comments by many speaker designers to that effect), and the avr marketing folk thought they'd help out I suppose, it all sells more stuff in the end. Did you read the article I linked? If you want a more powerful amp, then get a more powerful amp is the general recommendation rather than the passive bi-amping thing (particularly the avr version). An external amp with your avr is one way to go as long as your avr has pre-outs for the appropriate channels.
you are probably correct regarding the marketing! My current avr is old, no HDMI's however it does have pre-out.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI is important to a lot of people. I would want a newer AVR over the vintage one. For example you can plug your hdmi streaming device into your AVR.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng,
Thank you for your thoughts. The Denon X3500 was also on my shopping list, however, the cost was considerably more. I have the ability to purchase the gently used Yamaha for $550 CDN, or a new Denon X3500 for approximately $850 CDN. I really have no requirement for loud, just good quality sound for both movies and music listening.
You were just a little late, Gibbys has it on sale for C$699.99 until Oct 31st, (you are in Canada right?) but sold out already.

I assume you still have a very decent RX-V992. So I suggest you wait, because such sales typical would be back before too long. I had the AVR-X3400H for a little while so I know it is an excellent unit in terms of sound quality, even when compared with my separates. The X3500H should be almost identical, highly recommended.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Imo it is arguably the best, as long as one knows what to do if the speaker sensitivity is specified in 2.83V/m instead of 1W/m that calculator is based on.
@PENG Wait, I thought at 8 Ohms, they were the same, but dropping to 4 Ohms 1W/m would equal 2V/m or am I missing something?

Anyway, it is fun to play around with and should be shown to anyone wanting to upgrade their amp simply for MORE POWER!!!1! The results would most likely surprise them...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis