AVR cost vs. speakers

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Is there a general formula/percentage people use as to how much to spend on an AVR in relation to the cost of their speakers? And if so, how would you figure the value of older speakers in a system when only replacing the AVR?

I was just thinking about where the point of diminishing returns is when buying electronics for a system. I only have a 5.1 system, but I keep looking up the chain, enticed at more and more expensive receivers. Clearly at some point it wouldn't make sense to spend more even if the budget would allow.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think you could say maybe a third of the system cost should go to the AVR, and the rest on speakers/subs as a general rule, but it is very situational and dependant on circumstances.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Audio/video is recreation. As such, "budgets" only apply to those living on a perpetual existence of credit. Otherwise, you save for what you really want and the sky is the limit.

To expect any further upgrade to what I have now, I would have to buy/build a better, more acoustically friendly room, or house.

Best value is going to middle price range, as it is with just about everything else in life with regard to things we buy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AVR/AVP/Amp probably 20-40% of speakers..

But I know friends who spend $7,500 or $4,000 on Integrated Amps and $2,000 on speakers also. :D

It’s not just about cost ratios. It’s about that total satisfaction feeling.

If I bought some B&W 800D, Revel Salon2, KEF Blade, Legacy Audio Aeris, RBH SVTR, etc, I wouldn’t want to use some Emotiva amps.

I would use amps like ATI, Bryston, Anthem, Parasound, Classe, Pass Labs, Krell, etc. :D

I use a $2K Yamaha AVR with my $9K RBH speakers, so my AVR-Speaker percentage is 22%.

A friend is spending $9K on Preamp/Amps and $12K on speakers. His AVR-Speaker percentage is 75%.

Last edited:
T

TechToys2

Audioholic
It’s not just about cost ratios. It’s about that total satisfaction feeling.
That, I guess, is really the crux of it. For my original system (now 20 years old) my AVR-speaker percentage was around 20%. Going into the holidays I purchased a Marantz sr6014 discounted that cost me around the same price as I paid for my Rotel receiver 20 years ago and I keep feeling like I can (and should) do better from a performance perspective.

But I'm also value oriented ;) . I keep eyeing the Marantz 7xxx series or higher (or Denon equivalents), NAD T 778 (ASR review notwithstanding), the upcoming Anthems and even the newer Rotels (that seem to have gotten extremely expensive over the years) wondering if I would somehow be more satisfied ... or just poorer :p

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
May I suggest going with a 7.1 AVR for starters, which depends on the features you are needing, which dictates the price. I assume you enjoy movies with your room not that big/, with a basic speaker set-up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That, I guess, is really the crux of it. For my original system (now 20 years old) my AVR-speaker percentage was around 20%. Going into the holidays I purchased a Marantz sr6014 discounted that cost me around the same price as I paid for my Rotel receiver 20 years ago and I keep feeling like I can (and should) do better from a performance perspective.

But I'm also value oriented ;) . I keep eyeing the Marantz 7xxx series or higher (or Denon equivalents), NAD T 778 (ASR review notwithstanding), the upcoming Anthems and even the newer Rotels (that seem to have gotten extremely expensive over the years) wondering if I would somehow be more satisfied ... or just poorer :p
I'd say any "upgrading" from your 6014 would more relate to dsp/features desired and if the amp section is sufficient, you're done, and with a 5.1 speaker setup that's not too likely to be any advantage except in different flavors of REQ program; moving to other brands/models just seeking some vague expectation of "improvement" not so much. Basic audio quality by changing avr is not as likely as changing speakers or paying attention to the room they're in....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

I remember upgrading AVRs several times. I don't even have one now lol. But it's always fun to upgrade audio equipment. Just be sure to wait it out a bit.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
May I suggest going with a 7.1 AVR for starters, which depends on the features you are needing, which dictates the price. I assume you enjoy movies with your room not that big/, with a basic speaker set-up.
Thanks. That was my initial thought, but decided to go for the 6014 given that was the entry point for Audyssey XT32.

I'd say any "upgrading" from your 6014 would more relate to dsp/features desired and if the amp section is sufficient, you're done, and with a 5.1 speaker setup that's not too likely to be any advantage except in different flavors of REQ program; moving to other brands/models just seeking some vague expectation of "improvement" not so much. Basic audio quality by changing avr is not as likely as changing speakers or paying attention to the room they're in....
The amp section seems good enough. I'm still very frustrated trying to get a sound balance I am happy with on most content. I watched something last night and decided to put on Dynamic Volume Light figuring it would help compress the highs and lows so maybe I could hear better at lower volume, but instead I got blown away by background music so I had to turn down the volume too low to hear anything else. Needless to say that got turned off quickly :).

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I remember upgrading AVRs several times. I don't even have one now lol. But it's always fun to upgrade audio equipment. Just be sure to wait it out a bit.
Good advice -- although the 6014 can still be returned until the end of the month. (I'm not sure there is a better alternative currently though)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. That was my initial thought, but decided to go for the 6014 given that was the entry point for Audyssey XT32.

The amp section seems good enough. I'm still very frustrated trying to get a sound balance I am happy with on most content. I watched something last night and decided to put on Dynamic Volume Light figuring it would help compress the highs and lows so maybe I could hear better at lower volume, but instead I got blown away by background music so I had to turn down the volume too low to hear anything else. Needless to say that got turned off quickly :).
Never use Dynamic Volume myself, just have no need or desire to use compression. I do experiment/change settings for different content as needed, I don't expect one setting to be best for everything, tho. For movies personally I do use DEQ generally and RLO set to 0 and I use the reference curve (but I have run into movies via tv based providers that have already been tweaked so sometimes have to change RLO). That's one nice thing about having choices, you can use them. Kinda depends what you're seeking....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Is your center channel maybe too low? I found running a center channel a little hot helps a lot. Try it +3db more and see if you like the overall balance better.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Is your center channel maybe too low? I found running a center channel a little hot helps a lot. Try it +3db more and see if you like the overall balance better.
Thanks. I think I did, but I've been playing with everything (not always a good thing ;)). I'm going to check the levels with an SPL meter later and bump up the center a little.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Never use Dynamic Volume myself, just have no need or desire to use compression. I do experiment/change settings for different content as needed, I don't expect one setting to be best for everything, tho. For movies personally I do use DEQ generally and RLO set to 0 and I use the reference curve (but I have run into movies via tv based providers that have already been tweaked so sometimes have to change RLO). That's one nice thing about having choices, you can use them. Kinda depends what you're seeking....
What do you use for streaming TV series on Netflix etc.? Anything?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you use for streaming TV series on Netflix etc.? Anything?
I don't watch too many tv series outside of the Netflix or Amazon produced ones for the most part (last one was Lupin on Netflix). Much more a movie fan. Major network tv I generally don't have access to nor desire it much. I stream either with apps built into the bluray players or a Fire Stick, depending on which system I'm using, but use Netflix, Amazon Prime (and HBO, HBO Max, Showtime thru Amazon), and Mubi for most of my content. I did use Directv for years before, but the cost and programming for that cost just became too expensive.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I don't watch too many tv series outside of the Netflix or Amazon produced ones for the most part (last one was Lupin on Netflix). Much more a movie fan. Major network tv I generally don't have access to nor desire it much. I stream either with apps built into the bluray players or a Fire Stick, depending on which system I'm using, but use Netflix, Amazon Prime (and HBO, HBO Max, Showtime thru Amazon), and Mubi for most of my content. I did use Directv for years before, but the cost and programming for that cost just became too expensive.
Me either. I do have access to major networks through cable only because it was cheaper to get a package for internet that included TV than to just get internet. Go figure. I was just asking what DEQ setting you use for series produced by Netflix, Prime, etc. Same as you use for movies or something else?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Me either. I do have access to major networks through cable only because it was cheaper to get a package for internet that included TV than to just get internet. Go figure. I was just asking what DEQ setting you use for series produced by Netflix, Prime, etc. Same as you use for movies or something else?
Yes, generally I find the soundtracks in either their series or movies just fine using DEQ. If they're streaming someone else's content like a network tv show, yes, sometimes I've had to make adjustments.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I just checked the levels and somehow all of the trims got reset to zero. It's no wonder I couldn't hear anything with the balance all off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just checked the levels and somehow all of the trims got reset to zero. It's no wonder I couldn't hear anything with the balance all off.
That would likely not be good....did you run a reset?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis