DinoManAllDay

Audiophyte
Greetings good gents,

I have an audio problem that I hope you
can help me solve before I defenestrate my
receiver; an AVR-788, purchased brand new
at least 8 years ago.

When I use the "TUNER" selection, my six BOSE
speakers (or my headphones) work perfectly.

When I use my old record player, the sound comes
out of my DENON through my Bose speakers. Again
beautiful.

When I select my "TV", the video works fine but the
sound does NOT go on. I'm using HDMI connections.

Under the circumatances, I went to "Auto Setup" > "HDMI Setup" and
selected "TV" (rather then "AMP"). To do this, I had
to use the "SELECT/ENTER" knob on the DENON.

The DENON retains this so whenever I now select TV, my TV speakers
go on; not my BOSE speakers.

My "Remote Control Unit" is too complicated for my
little brain.

My mission is to listen to my TV shows though my DENON
and ultimately through my Bose speakers.

Please help me!!!

Other than all this, I wish you great happiness.

DinoManAllDay

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Greetings good gents,

I have an audio problem that I hope you
can help me solve before I defenestrate my
receiver; an AVR-788, purchased brand new
at least 8 years ago.

When I use the "TUNER" selection, my six BOSE
speakers (or my headphones) work perfectly.

When I use my old record player, the sound comes
out of my DENON through my Bose speakers. Again
beautiful.

When I select my "TV", the video works fine but the
sound does NOT go on. I'm using HDMI connections.

Under the circumatances, I went to "Auto Setup" > "HDMI Setup" and
selected "TV" (rather then "AMP"). To do this, I had
to use the "SELECT/ENTER" knob on the DENON.

The DENON retains this so whenever I now select TV, my TV speakers
go on; not my BOSE speakers.

My "Remote Control Unit" is too complicated for my
little brain.

My mission is to listen to my TV shows though my DENON
and ultimately through my Bose speakers.

Please help me!!!

Other than all this, I wish you great happiness.

DinoManAllDay
The TV has HDMI Control and CEC settings- turn those off unless you're using the TV's tuner for local stations. If that's the case, you need to connect an optical cable because the AVR doesn't support ARC (Audio Return Channel) and that's OK. In either case, you need to go into the Setup menu, Manual, Input settings and look for the input the Tuner is connected through. You'll need to choose an input for the optical- your AVR should have one called 'TV' and in the Input setup, you'll go to the group for the TV input and select Optical 1 or 2, depending on which you used. HDMI and Analog can be left set to 'None'.

If you're referring to the remote that came with the AVR, you're not alone- it's a PITA, but it works. You could use a universal remote, like a Harmony 650- I use those on many systems with Denon AVRs and they work very well.

D

DinoManAllDay

Audiophyte
Thank you very much for your quick response.

I read your response, but I'm afraid I dont fully understand.

My TV is a SONY BRAVIA XBR model KDT-46XXBR4

My choice for my connection to my DENON is <TV> or <AMP> . On my TV I have a choice of <Audio System> or <TV Speakers>.

After I received your suggestions, for the first time, I set my TV to <Audio System> and my DENON to <AMP>. There was no sound so I'm back to my TV speakers.

Once upon a time all was working. I must have done something wrong and I now have this problem. I see there are optical connections but I never had to use them and I don't have the wires for optical connections.

I don't understand what the "CEC" is; can you elaborate?

As far as trying to get Tuner data, to the best of my ability, the inputs are connected with <Input : Analog>.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I read your response, but I'm afraid I dont fully understand.

My TV is a SONY BRAVIA XBR model KDT-46XXBR4

My choice for my connection to my DENON is <TV> or <AMP> . On my TV I have a choice of <Audio System> or <TV Speakers>.

After I received your suggestions, for the first time, I set my TV to <Audio System> and my DENON to <AMP>. There was no sound so I'm back to my TV speakers.

Once upon a time all was working. I must have done something wrong and I now have this problem. I see there are optical connections but I never had to use them and I don't have the wires for optical connections.

I don't understand what the "CEC" is; can you elaborate?

As far as trying to get Tuner data, to the best of my ability, the inputs are connected with <Input : Analog>.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards.
Unfortunately you seem really confused.

I have had a good look at your TV manual.

First of all your TV does not have CEC. It has a thing called Sony HDMI control to communicate with only other Sony devices. Set this option to off on HDMI settings.

Now your TV has NO HDMI out. So you were never getting audio back to your receiver via HDMI. That is absolutely impossible with the equipment you have listed.

The only audio outs from your TV are analog RCA audio outs and Toslink optical digital audio out.

Since in your post you say you have an analog input assigned to the TV, then when it was working you must have had RCA cables connected from your TV to that analog input.

Since you say you don't have an optical cable, I have to assume the analog cable you must have formerly used is now missing.

Is there a cable going from the analog audio outs of your TV to your receiver? If not there needs to be.

Better still would be to get an optical Toslink cable and connect that from the optical out of your TV and connect it to an optical in of your receiver and assign it.

Neither your TV or receiver support HDMI audio return, so you never could have used that.

D

DinoManAllDay

Audiophyte
Thank you for your input TLS Guy.

I accepted your suggestion. I still dont get sound from my DENON->BOSE speakers when I use my TV.

Your first suggestion is "Set this option to off on HDMI settings."

On my TV I have a choice of <Audio System> or <TV Speakers>. I have selected <Audio System>

In DENON I have HDMI : <TV> or <AMP> . I have selected <AMP>.

Is there something else I need to do?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for your input TLS Guy.

I accepted your suggestion. I still dont get sound from my DENON->BOSE speakers when I use my TV.

Your first suggestion is "Set this option to off on HDMI settings."

On my TV I have a choice of <Audio System> or <TV Speakers>. I have selected <Audio System>

In DENON I have HDMI : <TV> or <AMP> . I have selected <AMP>.

Is there something else I need to do?
Yes, there is a lot more to do.

First you made no mention of having the correct cable between the TV and receiver.

You need either of these.

An analog RCA cable from the TV analog audio out to the analog RCA TV input, and set the TV input to analog.

OR: - you need a Toslink fiber cable between the TVs Tolsink digital audio out on the TV and a Toslink digital audio in, on the receiver. Then you need to assign that input to the TV in your receiver set up menu.
The latter is the better connection.

You need either of these two set ups done exactly, or you will get no sound from your TV through your receiver.

You can NOT select any HDMI function on your receiver to get sound from your TV as your TV DOES NOT have an Audio HDMI out known as ARC and your receiver DOES NOT support HDMI audio return. So forget anything HDMI to get audio from your TV to your receiver.

D

DinoManAllDay

Audiophyte
Thank you all.

I have not yet been able to make my system to work. I now suspect that my DENON has a failed relay.

I will get back you once I've confirmed if the problem is a relay or not.

Until then, I wish you a great future.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you all.

I have not yet been able to make my system to work. I now suspect that my DENON has a failed relay.

I will get back you once I've confirmed if the problem is a relay or not.

Until then, I wish you a great future.
I highly doubt that. The switching between inputs is electronic and not relay.

You still have not told me what your cable connections are.

Your settings don't make sense, as you are enabling HDMI which has nothing to do with your TV sound as your TV has no HDMI out. You need analog in, or digital fiber in depending on your connection. My suspicion is that you have neither and that is why you have no TV sound.

I think you need to have someone experienced actually come to the house.

With respect all this seems beyond you. I can say that as your posts make little to no sense.

If you have a Best Buy near you, you could ask for a visit from the Geek Squad.

D

DinoManAllDay

Audiophyte
Thanks for you suggestion. I'm afraid, however, that I will be charged more than my DENON is worth.

Your suggestion is a good one. I will call to ask how much they will charge me to see what the problem is.

D

DinoManAllDay

Audiophyte
It is fixed. My son took over and found a missing connection.

I regret troubling you.

D

DinoManAllDay

Audiophyte
I'm embarrassed but that was my situation.

I'm signing off.

Thank you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis