Avia or Video Essentials?

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
Wasn't real sure where to post this....but, I'm thinking my TV could have a better picture and maybe surround system could be tweaked so I'm thinking of picking up one or the other of these DVD's(along with a SPL meter)......I've read that Avia is a little more user friendly but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me if one does a certain task better than the other or maybe some general user comments?

J

Jack Dotson

Audioholic Intern
I've got digital video essentials and am very disappointed. It has a extemely bad user interface and takes forever to navigate through. Many test calibrations that are probably very good for a certified technician, but I found them to be of very little use for the average person. The audio section is not very good either. Tests tones sweep and don't allow the user to manually decided when to go to the next channels. Have no idea of the frequency's used for each channel, etc. I, for one, fell I wasted my money. I'm thinking about trying the AVIA, just hope it doesn't turn out to be no better than the DVE.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have both and I concur with Jack, except that I think the Video section of DVE is easier to use than AVIA. That's because on AVIA, they go through the explanation of how to make the adjustment and then it puts up the test pattern. You only have a minute or two to do it and then it automatically goes on to the next setting. If you aren't done, you have to hit previous track and listen to the whole explanation again. DVE gives the instructions and then pauses. You have as much time as you want because it will not move to the next setting until you hit play again. DVE does far more test patterns but no information on how to use them and getting to the advanced patterns requires you to look up the title and chapter and enter that directly - there is no menu access to them.

The Audio tests are similar between the two but differ slightly in how the tones for the sub are implemented. In AVIA, when the tone is for setting the sub level, it also plays in the front left and right speakers. Presumably that choice was made because it would be make it easier to hear the blend between the subs and the mains. They explain the reasoning behind that approach on their website. DVE plays the sub test tone only in the subwoofer, but I had read that the level of the tone is too high.

DVE is half the cost of AVIA, but if I were to do it over and could only buy one, it would be AVIA - easier to navigate, good explanations of what to do, and all the tests most people would need.

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
OK...you folks basically back up what Google groups had to say...so it's Avia for me. I see on Ebay you can get it with shipping "new" for under $40..seems to be a decent deal. I actually had this dvd briefly when I rented it from Blockbuster online club...but didn't come with the video filters! Thanks for your help!:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
muncybob said:
OK...you folks basically back up what Google groups had to say...so it's Avia for me. I see on Ebay you can get it with shipping "new" for under $40..seems to be a decent deal. I actually had this dvd briefly when I rented it from Blockbuster online club...but didn't come with the video filters! Thanks for your help!:)

If you didn't buy it yet, you may want to check Amazon for a used one.

E

Emusica

Audioholic
tv type?

What kind of tv do you have? I can tell you right now, the Avia doesn't work well with Plasmas at all. Unless they have a new DVD out now made for Plasma, I would borrow it from someone.

I used the Avia DVD with my Pan 50". There is a lot of good information on the disc, but some of the test patterns don't work well, if at all, with plasmas.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
I have both, but have only started using the Avia disk. With my standard TV, I can say the video calibrations are well explained for a total noob (me) and the end result is a far better picture than the original settings. I will eventually get to the audio part, and sooner or later open up DVE and mess with that. IMHO so far the Avia disk seems worth the expense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis