Avia home theater setup or THX?

M

Moonraker

Enthusiast
I own a few THX movies on DVD, they all come with the THX setup feature. I've heard about the Avia setup DVD here and there... does this DVD offer any different tests than the THX setup routine?

Grassy-*** for your input..

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Uhm, the THX optimizer is mainly just for greyscale. And only sends a signal to each speaker, to make sure its working. Its not really for a true set-up. Avia or DVE (Digital Video Essentials) Are both for truly setting up audio and video. Some will say one or the other is better.

I have DVE, it takes about 1 1/2 hours to go through the entire set-up for optimal image and sound. I only use it for video, and rely on sound with my own judgement. After the receiver does a Auto MCC (calibration)

A THX optimizer takes about all of 3-5 minutes to go through. And is not really optimizing very much. For a audio/videophile you will want one of the 2 discs mentioned for optimum results. But like most, each person percieves sound and video differently. So after optimizing you may still want to slightly tweak for your liking. But both discs are great for a refrence point. So either will be fine.

Most will state the Avia is a little easier to use and is better for audio optimizing. And that DVE is more intense and more for video.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis