MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
A couple weekends ago, my wife rented Avatar. A week later, we bought the Blu-ray at Costco. We watched it again last Sunday, with my daughter this time, because she has an obsession with dinosaurs and flying creatures. She just loved the Banshees and even the ferocious animals in the forest.

We watched it on a 12' projection screen from about 8' away (first row). The image quality was very clean.

From my viewpoint, I have to put aside my rational brain to watch this film. Once I empty my "cup" as it were, the film is an enjoyable experience. The visuals were the richest ever to show on-screen, given the groundbreaking modeling, animation and rendering technology used. The live action shots were recorded by Sony CineAlta cameras F23 and Sony CineAlta HDC-F950 at full 1920x1080 acquisition. It sure looked ultra-clean for digital acquisition.

The story is one of those that puts your emotions in direct conflict with your reasoning ability and that makes one somewhat angry. But as one who despises eminent domain, I found myself siding with the Na'vi on this matter of the Sky People invading their world. And what a world it was. A strange sense of high tech, in a low-tech forest, due to the sentient nature of the flora and the information conduit that was comprised of all the roots, making the entire world one big neural network. A fascinating concept.

The use of certain imagery was clever.. near the end of the film there is such as the scene with the Direhorse, aflame, running through a flaming inferno that was once the Home Tree. In slow motion, it was dream-like, in a way that only an old war movie captures a certain moment of battle with a memorable, if not frightful, scene.

Overall, pretty simple plot, but the direction, pacing and the quality of the way it's all edited, craftily together, maintains a constant 'never a dull moment' excitement to the film.

I thought the sound mix was quite seamless. The surround just blended into a 360° space, with nothing calling attention to itself. I did think they could have taken more advantage of LFE moments when the Home Tree was felled though. As has been noted, other sounds in the film had more LFE in it. The explosions were so-so. This wasn't U-571, but the general sound quality was sweeter and more natural. It just wasn't as visceral as other films I've seen. And thankfully the logo music at the beginning didn't blow us out of the room. I hate when a loud logo plays before the film, evoking yells of "turn it down! it's too loud!" from the audience and then the film starts and you can't hear the dialog because the level is now set too low. The dynamic range was decent, with acceptable levels for the various machinery and environment sounds heard throughout the film. There were times though when I felt that the music score, particularly the part with Japanese drums, was a bit overpowering. My daughter had her hands over her ears for much of the film, but she was talking about the flying creatures all night after that, right up to bed time.

This whole 3D thing has me in a quandry though.. a gimmick such as this will shift further focus away from plot, story, content, toward razzle-dazzle effects, further devolving the art of story-telling. Though, I hear it worked to good effect for this film.

Definately a keeper, in my book, even though it's got some contraversial plot issues.
Nice review.

Funny comment about opening scores. I tend to 'inch' the volume up unless I know where it needs to be.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
basspig's review

Wow, just Wow. A simple nice PQ and great SQ would have been fine. You just go and make all of us beer drinking, hooter gawking, recliner farting, mancavers feel like chit. For a minute I thought Siskel had come back and possessed basspig.:eek: Glad you were able to make it a family event. The movie does make an impression on the younger ones.:)

Oh, and thanks for all the Denon work you do. You made may life a whole lot simpler going from a Technics receiver to the Denon.:D

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I have a fixed volume level that I maintain, and I just wish the various movie studios would adhere to some consistent standard. Some films are all over the map as far as reference levels.

Siskel's living partner, Roger Ebert, doesn't think much of 3D though!

I own a Denon DCD-590, but that's all that I have to do with Denon. It was a gift to me from an old friend, back in the '90s. You must have me confused with someone else. :confused:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I have a fixed volume level that I maintain, and I just wish the various movie studios would adhere to some consistent standard. Some films are all over the map as far as reference levels.
How do you maintain a fixed volume level?

I feel your guests on the 'it's too loud' though with the scores. I find that I can take loud explosions and so forth a lot easier than a really loud musical score. Like 'Up,' the limiting factor was for sure the music.

It would be cool if there was a feature in the blu-ray menu that played a test tone of pink noise where you could set your volume to reference before the blu-ray started using a decibel meter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And thankfully the logo music at the beginning didn't blow us out of the room. I hate when a loud logo plays before the film, evoking yells of "turn it down!
The THX Logo & Sound is at the END of the rolling credits at the very end of the disc. And it will blow you out of the room.:D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not a fan of 3D either. Maybe if we had some Star Trek holodecks I could get on board.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The THX Logo & Sound is at the END of the rolling credits at the very end of the disc. And it will blow you out of the room.:D
I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it definitely has some great LFE in it too.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I meant a fixed gain/volume setting, not level. That latter would require a compression amplifier. Since the surround and center channels feed my crossover/audio processing rack directly, I preset the levels in software and just leave them that way.

I was referring to the Fox logo at the start of the film. I never let it run through the credits, since everyone got up and left in the first 30 seconds of end credits. Didn't know there was anything unusual. I've seen the THX logo numerous times. Was there anything different about the one at the end of the credits roll?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
How do you maintain a fixed volume level?
<snip>
...It would be cool if there was a feature in the blu-ray menu that played a test tone of pink noise where you could set your volume to reference before the blu-ray started using a decibel meter.
+1 - I've been thinking how nice this would be for a few years now.

TheFactor

TheFactor

But then we wouldnt need lights on our remotes ;)

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
If all the movie studios just stuck to a standard (a good, accurate one) reference level, where realistic dynamic range was available on the disc, but that the players have customizeable dynamic range on playback, to accomodate various sound systems and listening circumstances (ie, late night vs. weekend). Most players already have some form of dynamic range limiting options, but they're too tedious for most folks to get to and use. They could have one mode that compresses 120dB of dynamic range down to 20dB, another that results in 50dB and a 'no holes barred' mode, where the original DR is left intact. :eek:

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i checked today. maybe i missed it, but i saw nothing at the end. :confused:

but. the start of the disc, there is a THX demo = :eek::eek::eek:

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
To heck with the movie, I bought the BR just for the THX demo at the end:D

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I wonder if there are different versions of the BD floating around? Mine has the 20th Century Fox logo on the front of the disc. So far, we never watched the disc all the way to the end (and I'm too lazy to wait 9 minutes for the disc to load it's copy protection java script code just to check what's on the very end of the disc..

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

I wonder if there are different versions of the BD floating around? Mine has the 20th Century Fox logo on the front of the disc.

i wouldn't put it past em. nothing suprises me these days.

we are going to watch it sat night. i am going to make a vid of the thx demo. just to see if that is what you guys are talking about.

Attachments

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
The version I bought at Costco has a BD and a DVD disc in it. Yesterday, my wife took the DVD to play upstairs on her inexpensive DVD player. It didn't recognize the disc! The player said 'no disc' when inserted. So I told her to try the old player, a Pioneer DV-343. That worked fine and my daughter watched it again on our old 32" CRT in the dining room. (She likes the Banshees and the Turuk, as they're like dinosaurs that she's into at her age of six years.)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Picked it up yesterday and haven't watched it yet.
I think you should really enjoy it !! But its one of those movies were you'll either love it or not depending on your taste and dont get involved with the politics and enjoy it for what it is a beautifully animated bluray with a great story line in my opinion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis