availability of 3805

T

timothymcl

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>email from J. McGinness at Denon tells me 3805 unit will be at dealers in March. &nbsp;Should be a top selling unit with the Denon quality and some of the Yamaha features.</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#728FCE'>Hi

Looks like the 2400 will have some challenges:
'Another upgrade over the 3803, the AVR-3805 features auto set-up calibration, higher-performance DSP processors, and a Room EQ feature that makes it easier to match the output to any home theater or music listening environment. When enabled, the feature automatically analyzes and calibrates six settings: speaker connection, phase, size and frequency response. The AVR-3805 adjusts channel level and time delay and, through Room EQ, corrects frequency response with an 8-band parametric equalizer and adjusts to the optimum soundfield. The company also offers an optional calibration microphone for the setup feature.'

I am expecting an answer by Yamahaluver &nbsp;;)</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I'm interested, but I'm more anxious for them to take the next step: &nbsp;a totally digital reciever (similar to the new Sony's). &nbsp;I want a totally unbroken digital signal path from the disc (CD, SACD &amp; DVD-A) to the speakers. &nbsp;This means performing all DSP and volume in the digital domain and passing the signal along to digital amps.

I truly believe that will unlock the full power of all our digital mediums.</font>

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>its already available , check out the Harman/Kardon DPR 1001 , DPR stands for digital path receiver</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Pam,
The 2400 does the same room EQ-ing options as the 3805, or at least on paper it does. &nbsp;I do not think this will be a point of difference marketing wise, especially since they are a little late in the game concerning room EQ. &nbsp;Maybe they will beat the drums of power or the proprietary denon link for bass management in the digital domain. &nbsp;

Regarding the &quot;digital&quot; amps from sony and h/k, lets just say that they have a long way to come before I jump on that bandwagon. &nbsp; Sure all the processing is done digitally, but the output is not digital. &nbsp;A digital output signal (square wave) would blow up a conventional speaker cone or driver. &nbsp;Besides that, my auditioning of these new &quot;digital&quot; units has not left me with a favorable impression on the type of &quot;sound&quot; they have. &nbsp;Give it a few more years, then we'll talk. &nbsp;

Ross.</font>

annunaki

annunaki

<font color='#000000'>Ross, please explain exactly how a square wave blows a speaker.

Speakers only blow one way (when it is a voice coil failure). Too much heat over time. When you distort an amplifier you may send out a square wave. That alone does not blow the speaker. When an amplifier fully clips (square wave) it outputs TWICE its regular power. Now if you already had an amplifier that ran at the Proper RMS rating of the speaker unclipped (let us say 100 watts), you fully clipped the amplifier, your speaker is now seeing 200 watts rms. With this extra power the speaker is not moving any farther to aid in cooling or really getting much louder (power compression). That extra 100 watts is now just added heat on the voice coil. Eventually it will fail.

Here is the flipside to the above. The same 100 watt rms speaker driven by a 50 watt amplifier fully clipped (square wave) will not blow. It may sound absolutely horrible, but will not blow because you are not adding aditional heat by sending the woofer into power compression by exceeding its rms power rating.

The only other way the speaker could fail when sending a fully clipped signal (square wave) to it within it's rms power range would be by mechanical failure. I.E. torn spider, tinsel leads, surround, ect.

You may already know this Ross, but I figured it would be best to clarify the statement and not confuse others.

The digital &quot;square wave&quot;, mentioned above, would not blow the speaker if within it's rms power capacity.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis