AV123 x-mtm Tower Speaker Review

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I am not understanding. Are you saying a tower speaker sounds better than a bookshelf?

If you want to compare tower to tower, I would like to compare the Athena F2.2 to the X-MTM. I have heard neither, but read good things on both.
I did not say anywhere in my question that towers sound better then bookshelfs. I asked "what "Tower" speakers sound better at $449"?

And IMO the Athena's don't even come close to the build quality, or sound quality of the mtm towers. Not even close.

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
sounded to me like the speakers got a thumbs-down

I was puzzled by this review. I am not familiar with these speakers and I have no opinion about them. But I read the review and the reviewer said they were muddy, had an extreme bass emphasis, unclear highs, no soundstage. Sounds like the reviewer didn't like them at all. Then the review ends by saying that they were worth the $449/pair just for the cabinets alone. Together with what preceded, I read that statement as, The reviewer liked the cabinets but he didn't like the speakers.

I wouldn't want to pay even a relatively inexpensive (as audio stuff goes) $449 for speakers that sounded bad unless I knew that they were the best on the market for the money.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I was puzzled by this review. I am not familiar with these speakers and I have no opinion about them. But I read the review and the reviewer said they were muddy, had an extreme bass emphasis, unclear highs, no soundstage. Sounds like the reviewer didn't like them at all. Then the review ends by saying that they were worth the $449/pair just for the cabinets alone. Together with what preceded, I read that statement as, The reviewer liked the cabinets but he didn't like the speakers.

I wouldn't want to pay even a relatively inexpensive (as audio stuff goes) $449 for speakers that sounded bad unless I knew that they were the best on the market for the money.
That is exactly what I have been thinking ever since I read the review. I mean thats like if Bose were to put their drivers in a nicer cabinet, would you recommend them?

N

nuttz565

Audiophyte
okay

When I read some of the comments I have to laugh. :eek:

Someone please tell me what "Tower" speakers sound better at $449 a pair?
Well since you asked, for $50 more you can get a pair of Polk Monitor 60'S from crutchfield. Now I have not heard these speakers so I really can't compare, but my guess is the Polks are as good or more than likely better.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well since you asked, for $50 more you can get a pair of Polk Monitor 60'S from crutchfield. Now I have not heard these speakers so I really can't compare, but my guess is the Polks are as good or more than likely better.
Now if you would have said the RTi series I might have to agree. But the Monitor series, I don't know.

Plus you can get the RTi8's right now for $450 a pair.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3724397

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmmmmm

The impression I got from reading the review is that they are an inefficient Cerwin Vega speaker with a cabinet upgrade, muddy bass, no highs, and just inaccurate sound. I rather buy a speaker that is ugly to the spiders inside but sound awesome. To me, its only about the sound.

AV123 is one of a handful of internet direct companies manufacturing quality loudspeakers at affordable prices. The company's Onix line of speakers has changed a bit, and they have dropped the Onix nomenclature. After having a pair of the x-ls monitors in my home for several months, I was excited when they shipped me a pair of the brand new x-mtm towers. After living with them for a couple of months, I'm ready to report to you my findings on what is surely a highly-anticipated speaker for many who are looking for a lot of bang for their buck.

Discuss "AV123 x-mtm Tower Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The impression I got from reading the review is that they are an inefficient Cerwin Vega speaker with a cabinet upgrade, muddy bass, no highs, and just inaccurate sound.
This is a very good reason people need to audition speakers themselves. Your impression from what you've read is wrong. IMO

The highs are clean, and not harsh. Surprising for a budget speaker.

Inaccurate? What like you play Frank Sinatra, and out comes Guns & Roses? :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This is a very good reason people need to audition speakers themselves. Your impression from what you've read is wrong. IMO

The highs are clean, and not harsh. Surprising for a budget speaker.

Inaccurate? What like you play Frank Sinatra, and out comes Guns & Roses? :rolleyes:
What does what I play on my speakers have anything to do with my reading impressions? Why get personal?

Boomy bass is a bad thing and poor imaging which is partially a function of midrange and high frequency accuracy as well as dispersion is also a bad thing. Maybe more money should be put into the drivers and then the furniture that encloses them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What does what I play on my speakers have anything to do with my reading impressions? Why get personal?

Boomy bass is a bad thing and poor imaging which is partially a function of midrange and high frequency accuracy as well as dispersion is also a bad thing. Maybe more money should be put into the drivers and then the furniture that encloses them.
Who got personal?

I'm trying to figure out your statement about "Inaccurate". I could care less what your music preference is.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Who got personal?

I'm trying to figure out your statement about "Inaccurate". I could care less what your music preference is.
I never mentioned my music preference. You implied that with your Frank Sinatra sounding like Guns And Roses dig. I already alluded to inaccurate sound with the boomy bass and the inability for the speaker to image properly.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I already alluded to inaccurate sound with the boomy bass and the inability for the speaker to image properly.
And how do you justify this statement? Have you auditioned them? Some article you've read?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
And how do you justify this statement? Have you auditioned them? Some article you've read?
I can't believe you just asked that question given this thread is about the review on these speakers. Its clear to me that you have really taken the offensive position here. I'm just stating my impression of the review is all.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I can't believe you just asked that question given this thread is about the review on these speakers. Its clear to me that you have really taken the offensive position here. I'm just stating my impression of the review is all.
Offensive yes.

Like I originally stated, "This is a very good reason people need to audition speakers themselves".

Before you make statements from one review, you should gather your information from other sources, then make your assessment.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Offensive yes.

Like I originally stated, "This is a very good reason people need to audition speakers themselves".

Before you make statements from one review, you should gather your information from other sources, then make your assessment.
And like I said at the very beginning, the imppression I got from this review...

I also am a firm believer in listening before you buy. Thats why I own PSB, not Paradigm or Polk or Axiom.

majorloser

majorloser

I have no reason to doubt their specified sensitivity. Since I didn't measure impedance/phase, I can only guesstimate that they must be a difficult load. I forgot to mention that when the amp was clipping, the woofers were bottoming out like mad so you definately shouldn't drive them so hard. The woofers in these speakers and especially in the xls bookshelf can't take much punishment which is why they need to be bass managed and mated with a good sub or two.
I have to agree with the MTM's being power hungry. I ran them using a pair of bridged Berhinger A500's. They happily gobbled up the extra power.

The cabinet is large considering the drivers but not overly huge. If you have room for any towers then these will fit in as well. The speaker finish was superb and the cabinets were solid. My only beef with the set I tested was the grill. The grills were the old "snowman" style that I believe has been replaced.

As far as sound, they did quite well. I was only hoping for "brighter" highs. But I believe this is because of my bias toward metal dome tweeters. I had to remind myself that these were budget priced speakers. Can't expect high priced exotic components at this price level.

Again, as Gene stated, I too would recommend that these are used with a powerful receiver or amplifier to really get the most from them.

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
If these were to be used with a sub, or subs for that matter, and had the crossover set to 80Hz or so, would they still be as power hungry?

I ask because I am looking at several speaker options in this price range, and currently own an Onkyo TX-SR503 which is rated at 75W/ch @ 8ohm, would this be sufficient? or a bad idea?

I do plan on upgrading my receiver to a more modern receiver with HDMI switching, and possible pre-amp outputs/more power, but I really wanted to get new speakers first, and get the new receiver when I make a display upgrade into the world of HD.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No, I have not auditioned them, but I have a couple of comments. Finicky in a speaker = trouble in a speaker. From the description, sock in the port etc, I would suspect the bass is misaligned as well. I regard the review as poor, and if I was in the market, that review would not tempt me to put it on the audition list.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No, I have not auditioned them, but I have a couple of comments. Finicky in a speaker = trouble in a speaker. From the description, sock in the port etc, I would suspect the bass is misaligned as well. I regard the review as poor, and if I was in the market, that review would not tempt me to put it on the audition list.
I agree with you. I would put them in the same caliber of speaker prior to my PSB upgrade; those speakers being Technics SB-T200 . They were almost identical in configuration, excpet they used 5 1/2" drivers instead of 6 1/2" and they had a port in the front and one in the back.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
AV123 X-series Encore

FYI,
The currently shipping X-series "Encore" speakers have an upgraded tweeter and crossover. This improves the performance of the MTM and other X-series models. There will als be an upgrade path for owners of the "classic" X-series speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis