AV123 MFW-15 Issues. Is Fix Possible or Should I Buy Something Else?

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
I bought an MFW-15 from AV123 back when they first came out and like a lot of people who bought them, had to wait about 2 years before finally receiving mine. Even then it didn't work right. After a replacement arrived I thought everything was fine, but then it started to make some noise and smelled funny (like electrical getting too hot) so I unplugged it and didn't get back to trying to fix it until now.

I just read that AV123 is out of business so I'm not sure what to do. I've got what could be a great sub woofer, but in it's current form it isn't. Can I attempt a fix and if so, how hard and expensive would this be. Or should I just buy a new sub somewhere else and if so what?

Here are the A/V components I have that it would be hooked up to:

Panasonic TH-58PZ700U 58" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver (should arrive any day now)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu Ray Player
Oppo DV-980H DVD Player
Rocket Speakers (2 RS760, 1 RSC200, & 2 RSS300)
Panamax MAX 5300 EX Line Conditioner
DirecTV HD Satellite Receiver/DVDR in one box
Onkyo DX-C390 CD changer

Thank you in advance for any help.

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
Seems like it is an ongoing issue as I found on a Google search:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507735/av123-officially-closed#post_6860624

I think that you could get an acceptable "close" replacement from Parts Express, or some such site. Or maybe, pull out the amp and bring it to a electronic repair place, and they may be able to fix it for a couple hundred bucks (or hopefully less).
I had a similar issue with an Athena 6000 sub and it was fixed for $150. That was three years ago and the POS is still working, no matter how hard I try to blow it up (kidding of course).
Or you can take the sub out to the curb and spend a couple thousand on a bright shiny new one.;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. You might this thread at AVS about the amp in that sub to be a good read. They mention some substitutes and ways to fix them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis