AV10 & AMP10 Unboxing

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic

Looks like the boss received his AV10 and AMP10 for testing. Also, looks like some really good bench testing will be coming our way!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So sexy.

C'mon @gene !!!

You know we aren't gonna let up on you til we get the full scoop! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I sure many audio enthusiasts are anxious with anticipation. :D

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Nice kit... shame about the price!

Looking forward to the bench test results... am expecting good things (especially at that price!)

The use of Class D in the amps makes perfect sense, and it appears that the power supply is designed sufficiently robustly to handle tough low impedance speakers without issues.

I also like the fact that it supports "Wides" - would be interested to know whether these are fully supported within Dolby / Atmos / Auro3d, or whether support is limited to DTS (like various past products).

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic

Looking forward to the bench test results... am expecting good things (especially at that price!)

The use of Class D in the amps makes perfect sense, and it appears that the power supply is designed sufficiently robustly to handle tough low impedance speakers without issues.

I also like the fact that it supports "Wides" - would be interested to know whether these are fully supported within Dolby / Atmos / Auro3d, or whether support is limited to DTS (like various past products).
I can tell you that wides works in all but Auro2D/3D. Someone told me the lead engineer there hates wides for some reason. Yet, they just added support for 6 top speakers with latest firmware release.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A few years ago when I (and Gene and others) bought the Denon AVP, it was $7500 each. Gene also bought the $7500 Denon POA 150W x 10CH amp.

It’s a shame the Marantz AV10 and AMP10 were not available back then for $7K each. I would have bought the Marantz combo back then (just not now :D).

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I've had the AV10 for a couple of weeks now and its very good. Better than my Yamaha 3080 with external amps. One problem I've seen is the mute doesn't stay on. I talked to Marantz and they said to replace it. My dealer sent me another one and it has the same issue. If I pull my arc cable that connects to the TV the mute will stay on. Have you seen this problem? I even upgraded the hdmi cable to 8k even though I'm not using 8k.

Last edited:
T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I've had the AV10 for a couple of weeks now and its very good. Better than my Yamaha 3080 with external amps. One problem I've seen is the mute doesn't stay on. I talked to Marantz and they said to replace it. My dealer sent me another one and it has the same issue. If I pull my arc cable that connects to the TV the mute will stay on. Have you seen this problem? I even upgraded the hdmi cable to 8k even though I'm not using 8k.
It looks like the HDMI controls on the DVD Blu-Ray are causing this mute problem. If the DVD is powered on the mute works on the AV10. If the DVD is powered off mute stops working. Also if I disable HDMI control on the DVD player mute will work. Very strange. I have a ticket open with Marantz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A friend of mine sent me some numbers of the AV10 and AMP10.

Marantz AV10: 0.000483% THD+N, SINAD 106.3286dB

Marantz AMP10: 0.001760% THD+N, SINAD 95.088dB, 226W x 5CH Driven into 8 ohms at 0.7% THD+N

Anthem RMX 740/1140 0.0006%, SINAD 105dB
Denon X8500: 0.0007% THD+N, SINAD 103dB
DataSat10: 0.0007% THD+N, SINAD 101dB

Last edited:
M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Marantz AV10: 0.00048% THD+N, SINAD 106dB
Denon X8500: 0.0007% THD+N, SINAD 103dB
DataSat10: 0.0007% THD+N, SINAD 103dB

Marantz AMP10: 0.001% THD+N, SINAD 96dB, 226W x 5CH Driven into 8 ohms at 0.7% THD+N
Are these Gene's measurements (sneak peek)?

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
Do you have measurements to compare to the Monolith 8250X? I know it's only 8-channel, but they rate it at 200W/ch at 8-channels driven rather than 5-channels driven.

I could buy two of the Monolith 8250X and still have a grand leftover from the Marantz AMP 10, so I'm curious what Marantz is giving us over Monolith or if they're basically the same?

The Monolith also has two power plugs for a total of 3600W at 2x20amp circuits. That's basically driving each channel at 450W. Their HypeX modules are supposed to do 500W each.

This is why I'm curious how the Marantz compares. I wish they put specs for 8- and 16 -channels driven rather than only 5-channels. If I hooked up a bunch of speakers, it's possible most of them will be playing audio especially since the height channels play ambiance.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is a soft release of my exhaustive bench test results of the new Marantz Amp 10 200 watt x 16 Amplifier:

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Thanks @gene !! That had to have been a beast to test.

Curious to know if you ran the 7 channels as 1 channel per seven blades (for lack of a better term)? Or did your testing show it doesn't really matter if you run three blades in stereo + 1?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks @gene !! That had to have been a beast to test.

Curious to know if you ran the 7 channels as 1 channel per seven blades (for lack of a better term)? Or did your testing show it doesn't really matter if you run three blades in stereo + 1?
No bc of that blip I measured with only 1Ch of a blade driven, I didn't do that. I bridged all 5 of my bed layer speakers and single amp connected the heights. It's a great sounding amp so far.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
No bc of that blip I measured with only 1Ch of a blade driven, I didn't do that. I bridged all 5 of my bed layer speakers and single amp connected the heights. It's a great sounding amp so far.
Got it. I'm running two AMP10s and have been using a single channel per LCR. I might give BTL another try for LCR and leave the others on the second AMP10 single channel. If your Perlisten's can handle it I'm sure my Paradigm Inspirations can. Looking forward to your video review as well. Thanks again, Gene!

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
I'm not understanding the power supply situation. The Monolith units both say they can use the full wall wattage, but it sounds like this is a different kind of design which is why it's only 500W right?

How do you get 200W per channel at 7 channels driven with 500W of power? Or is that 500W the reason you had issues bridging modules?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm not understanding the power supply situation. The Monolith units both say they can use the full wall wattage, but it sounds like this is a different kind of design which is why it's only 500W right?

How do you get 200W per channel at 7 channels driven with 500W of power? Or is that 500W the reason you had issues bridging modules?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis