AV Suggestion, non-audiophile

N

NJB

Audiophyte
Hello, I posted earlier that ELAC Uni-FI UB5s are on sale at Amzn for $419 ($335 with standard cabinets) so I'm getting them. Any suggestions on a good <$500 AV receiver to replace my old Yamaha? I currently have a (cheap) Polk center speaker with matching bluetooth powered sub. Hoping to get this working with new receiver - realize this may not be poss - & eventually, back surround speakers. Any ideas or easy comparison sources? I'm less lazy than I am way behind on many home projects! :) Thanks for any advice.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Would be helpful to have model numbers for your Yamaha and Polk gear. It is impossible to really tell for sure what makes the most sense without model numbers. Bluetooth is generally a bad way to do audio, but Polk has wireless solutions that aren't Bluetooth (I believe) that work well. But, a model number on things will help us direct you to a best solution.

What are you hooking it up to in terms of sources and what type of display?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You seem not to understand what an audiophile is....just by asking your question you are an audiophile (sorry?). It's not a listening skill or particular level of "quality".....just an enthusiasm for high fidelity sound reproduction.....

Good comparison tool is at zkelectronics.com

$500 is a pretty low budget but depends what you want it to do particularly. Maybe used or a refurb is an idea.

ps What model is the old Yamaha as a starting point?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hello, I posted earlier that ELAC Uni-FI UB5s are on sale at Amzn for $419 ($335 with standard cabinets) so I'm getting them. Any suggestions on a good <$500 AV receiver to replace my old Yamaha? I currently have a (cheap) Polk center speaker with matching bluetooth powered sub. Hoping to get this working with new receiver - realize this may not be poss - & eventually, back surround speakers. Any ideas or easy comparison sources? I'm less lazy than I am way behind on many home projects! :) Thanks for any advice.
A decent entry level $500 (USD) receiver from Costco is on Sale for $100 Off right now. Check it out: Denon AVR S760H 7.2ch 8K AV Receiver

I doubt there's anything close to this for $400 out there these days.

I hope this is helpful.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
A decent entry level $500 (USD) receiver from Costco is on Sale for $100 Off right now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but we only have a couple of Costco stores in Australia one in Melbourne and one in Sydney.. These both carry a membership fee of $60 au before you can shop there. There a bit like Amazon and haven't really taken of, Unless of cause, if your really brain dead. No one bothers with ether of them. Cheap and nasty really sums them up.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General

Please correct me if I'm wrong but we only have a couple of Costco stores in Australia one in Melbourne and one in Sydney.. These both carry a membership fee of $60 au before you can shop there. There a bit like Amazon and haven't really taken of, Unless of cause, if your really brain dead. No one bothers with ether of them. Cheap and nasty really sums them up.
@mono-bloc - sorry about assuming you were in the USA, even though I'm Canadian. I just guessed as the vast majority here are from the US. I did take a look at both the Amazon & Costco sites in Australia : and you were right, they are certainly lacking and not up to the USA or Canadian versions. Remember, in North America those retailers stand behind these products and (especially in the case of Costco) have good return policies in case an issue arises. Even if it's unlikely to be needed, most want that when dealing online or in person. The AVRs I'm recommending are quality gear regardless of retailer. So once you target the right gear, then it's about price and return policy.

I looked at a few web stores from your area, and I'm not finding bargains at all (even when I account for the exchange rates.) I'm assuming there's a lot of import duties put on AVRs in Australia. Anyway, my guidance would be go for a Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha receiver in that order. You said <$500 => but didn't state what currency. The Denon I mentioned above may not hit your budget, but it's a decent mid-entry unit.

I hope this is helpful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

We only have a coupla members down under. I wasn't particularly aware Costco was even there, or that it would be different than here.....same with Amazon.....both are great places to buy from here in the US. As to membership fees, there are buying levels that waive the membership (I have a card under my brother's business and between us we buy sufficient to get fees waived every year).

N

NJB

Audiophyte
Would be helpful to have model numbers for your Yamaha and Polk gear. It is impossible to really tell for sure what makes the most sense without model numbers. Bluetooth is generally a bad way to do audio, but Polk has wireless solutions that aren't Bluetooth (I believe) that work well. But, a model number on things will help us direct you to a best solution.

What are you hooking it up to in terms of sources and what type of display?
Good point! :)

My Yamaha RX900U receiver seems to be finally dying (after 36 years!) as are, to some extent, my ears. My budget is also limited by upcoming US college costs. I have not yet ordered the $419/pair ELACs but I'm an Andrew Jones fan having owned - when I could hear better & had more money to burn, also in '86 - KEF 103.2s. Currently, cheapskate I've become, I have the Polk Signa S2 Sound Bar & wireless subwoofer (not crazy about it) and Polk T15 speakers. Planned on trying the T15s as rear surrounds with the ELACs up front but then found a pair of small Pyle PCB4BK speakers that are probably better suited and can handle 200W.

A 2021 refurb Denon AVR-S760H receiver that Jim mentioned - TYVM! - is on AMZN for only $350 so may give it a shot. My only concern is if the ELACs require some volume like my KEFs used to in order to really sing as the Denon is only 75W.

Thanks for the compliment, lovinthehd, about "audiophile" but as mentioned, the (62 year) ol' ears - along with most everything else! - ain't what they used to be!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the compliment, lovinthehd, about "audiophile" but as mentioned, the (62 year) ol' ears - along with most everything else! - ain't what they used to be!
LOL Tell me about it.....I've got a few years on ya still :) Audiophile isn't necessarily a compliment, the term has come too often to indicate the silly side of audio.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Good point! :)

My Yamaha RX900U receiver seems to be finally dying (after 36 years!) as are, to some extent, my ears. My budget is also limited by upcoming US college costs. I have not yet ordered the $419/pair ELACs but I'm an Andrew Jones fan having owned - when I could hear better & had more money to burn, also in '86 - KEF 103.2s. Currently, cheapskate I've become, I have the Polk Signa S2 Sound Bar & wireless subwoofer (not crazy about it) and Polk T15 speakers. Planned on trying the T15s as rear surrounds with the ELACs up front but then found a pair of small Pyle PCB4BK speakers that are probably better suited and can handle 200W.

A 2021 refurb Denon AVR-S760H receiver that Jim mentioned - TYVM! - is on AMZN for only $350 so may give it a shot. My only concern is if the ELACs require some volume like my KEFs used to in order to really sing as the Denon is only 75W.

@NJB You haven't defined the room where you are going to put your new speakers and receiver, so I made some educated guesses using SPL Calculator (check it out)

If you have a smartphone, there are free Apps that measure SPL (Sound Pressure Level) close enough for figuring things out. Try one out on your existing system to see where you normally listen to music, TV, etc.

On the SPL Site I assumed only a pair of the ELACs, a couple feet away from a wall, and your primary listening position 8 feet away from them. At 75 watts you'd get 102 dB Sound Pressure Level which is just beyond "uncomfortable loud" and according to OSHA to avoid hearing damage you need to limit your exposure to this level to 1.5 hours. Most folks listen far below that level so the Denon AVR-S760H will be just fine.

If I was trying to stick to a budget, the ELACs & the Denon together are a Deal that you will have trouble beating, if at all. I wouldn't let them pass at that price.

I hope this is helpful. Merry Christmas.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
We only have a coupla members down under. I wasn't particularly aware Costco was even there, or that it would be different than here.....same with Amazon.....both are great places to buy from here in the US. As to membership fees, there are buying levels that waive the membership (I have a card under my brother's business and between us we buy sufficient to get fees waived every year).
I joined because their auto insurance is so much less expensive than Allstate that I save enough in one month to cover the annual membership.

I would think that some items are available or less expensive in AU that in the US just because of where they're manufactured and shipping costs/duties are lower.

N

NJB

Audiophyte
@NJB You haven't defined the room where you are going to put your new speakers and receiver, so I made some educated guesses using SPL Calculator (check it out)

If you have a smartphone, there are free Apps that measure SPL (Sound Pressure Level) close enough for figuring things out. Try one out on your existing system to see where you normally listen to music, TV, etc.

On the SPL Site I assumed only a pair of the ELACs, a couple feet away from a wall, and your primary listening position 8 feet away from them. At 75 watts you'd get 102 dB Sound Pressure Level which is just beyond "uncomfortable loud" and according to OSHA to avoid hearing damage you need to limit your exposure to this level to 1.5 hours. Most folks listen far below that level so the Denon AVR-S760H will be just fine.

If I was trying to stick to a budget, the ELACs & the Denon together are a Deal that you will have trouble beating, if at all. I wouldn't let them pass at that price.

I hope this is helpful. Merry Christmas.
Awesome info! Thanks much, I will input data into the calculator - room is 20 x 20 - and see what it shows but we don't have parties so my sense is that your inputs prove the Denon to be just fine. Merry Christmas to you too!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Awesome info! Thanks much, I will input data into the calculator - room is 20 x 20 - and see what it shows but we don't have parties so my sense is that your inputs prove the Denon to be just fine. Merry Christmas to you too!
Please post again telling us how your new system sounds, once you get it setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis