AV repair facility in NYC help

S

stasik80

Enthusiast
After trying to replace the main capacitors in my subwoofer my self I have managed to convert it from a humming sub that works to a quite sub that doesn't. I think its time to throw in the towel and take it to a repair facility. Does anyone have a recommendation for one in NYC (Manhattan preferably)?
Thanks, Stas

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hey what’s up over in the Big Apple! Maybe try a replacement amp for your sub? What’s the make of your sub?

S

stasik80

Enthusiast
Its an older Axiom EP600 v2 sub. Axiom offered to replace the amp for $500 but given the age of the sub that seems like to much money to throw at it. Especially since the amp worked before I replaced the caps.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
After trying to replace the main capacitors in my subwoofer my self I have managed to convert it from a humming sub that works to a quite sub that doesn't. I think its time to throw in the towel and take it to a repair facility. Does anyone have a recommendation for one in NYC (Manhattan preferably)?
Thanks, Stas
Did you check your work carefully? Are you sure you have no dry joints or solder connection that have crossed into an area it should not have? Did you install the caps in the correct polarity?

The problem is you did not know for sure the caps were the cause of the problem and may well not have been. That is the whole problem with shot gun repairs.

Now I did a search, and it seems Axiom do not make service manuals available. That is a big problem these days. Next service centers are hard to find, and these issues are related.

Now the best tech in the world does not stand a chance of fixing that unit without a circuit and a service manual. Sub amps and their switching power supplies are notoriously difficult to trouble shoot and fix. I suspect the cost of repair may be more than the cost of a new amp.

So your other options are a new sub.

A new amp from axiom.

Modifying your unit to take a different sub amp.

Putting speaker terminals on the unit directly connected to the driver and using an external amp.

The last solution is probably your best option if you really like that sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis