Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
I'm looking for a onkyo receiver to push my Polk speakers my front are powered rti 100 my rears are monitor 70 series ll center channel is Polk CS2 and I have two Yamaha yst-sw216 subs. New to home audio any help would be greatly appreciated

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why an Onkyo avr particularly? Other than pre-outs for your powered speakers, what other features/connectivity do you want?

Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
I'm not so worried about connectivity just enough watts to each channel

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's relatively similar among most avrs, usually within a 2-3 dB range. Try using this calculator to understand the needs for power as related to your speakers' sensitivity and distance to your seat and spl goals....http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Onkyo doesn't offer anything particular and with their corporate umbrella under financial pressure who knows....they also control the Pioneer avrs these days fwiw.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, with the concern for power, do you actually have active (i.e. self-powered in terms of amp) speakers for the fronts as your post indicates?

Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
Curious, with the concern for power, do you actually have active (i.e. self-powered in terms of amp) speakers for the fronts as your post indicates?
Yes, my fronts are active, Polk Rti-100. They each plug in, I'm guessing to power the amp in the speaker?

Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
I am currently using a Onkyo tx-nr555. Have no problems what so ever with it, but I think it's only 80 watts per channel

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
From what I can see the Polk RTi100 are normal passive speakers with an inclusive "active" 80w powered sub. You will not increase this 80w section without replacing that amp, which seems unlikely. I do not know if it is possible to completely bypass the sub section however surely the dual Yamaha subs are more capable at 100w each?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, my fronts are active, Polk Rti-100. They each plug in, I'm guessing to power the amp in the speaker?
I am currently using a Onkyo tx-nr555. Have no problems what so ever with it, but I think it's only 80 watts per channel
No, they're not true active speakers, they just have powered woofers. Difference between an avr with 120 wpc vs your 80 wpc is all of 1.8 dB. Try the spl calculator to see how it works...

Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
From what I can see the Polk RTi100 are normal passive speakers with an inclusive "active" 80w powered sub. You will not increase this 80w section without replacing that amp, which seems unlikely. I do not know if it is possible to completely bypass the sub section however surely the dual Yamaha subs are more capable at 100w each?
Oh ok I did not know that. I guess what I really need to know then is when I add two more speakers for my rear surround will the Onkyo I have now have enough power to push everything?

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
How have you wired the Polk's currently? Have you just wired the high level speaker terminals or did you include and RCA cable to the Subwoofer in? Did you remove the connecting bars between the speaker terminals, as that seems a requirement for doing both.

Unless it is a really big room or you were looking for really loud then the Onkyo is probably fine. Surround speakers are used a lot less that the main LR or Centre

Attachments

Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
How have you wired the Polk's currently? Have you just wired the high level speaker terminals or did you include and RCA cable to the Subwoofer in? Did you remove the connecting bars between the speaker terminals, as that seems a requirement for doing both.

Unless it is a really big room or you were looking for really loud then the Onkyo is probably fine. Surround speakers are used a lot less that the main LR or Centre
I have the bars connected and speaker wire 14ga with banana plugs

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
If you have any reasonable surrounds your Onkyo shouldn't have a problem powering them. The Polk monitor 70 series ll are rated at 90 dB. And assuming a 5.1 system with typical installation assumptions, your sound level will be not quite the same as a Jet Engine, but uncomfortably Loud if you crank it up. (Are you going to 7.1?) Certainly should be enough to cause some ear damage if long enough duration. So be careful out there. ;)

Last edited:
Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
If you have any reasonable surrounds your Onkyo shouldn't have a problem powering them. The Polk monitor 70 series ll are rated at 90 dB. And assuming a 5.1 system with typical installation assumptions, your sound level will be not quite the same as a Jet Engine, but uncomfortably Loud if you crank it up. (Are you going to 7.1?) Certainly should be enough to cause some ear damage if long enough duration. So be careful out there. ;)
Wanting to go 7.2 is that correct? Or is it 7.1?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I just wondered if you had 4 Polk monitor 70 series ll for surrounds. They seem a bit like overkill for that application IMHO. I assume you've got them set to crossover at 80 Hz. But each to his own. By using Bass Management and directing the Bass towards the Subs you lighten the load on the speakers involved.

You may want to tinker a bit and set the Fronts to small and cross them over at 50 to 80 Hz to free up more amplifier power and clean up the bass at the same time. (Try it in 10 Hz steps if your reciever allows it and see if you like it.)

7.2 works. the X.1 ot X.2 is just describing the number of Subs. and you have 2.

Last edited:
Danny Monto

Danny Monto

Enthusiast
I just wondered if you had 4 Polk monitor 70 series ll for surrounds. They seem a bit like overkill for that application IMHO. I assume you've got them set to crossover at 80 Hz. But each to his own. 7.2 works. the X.1 ot X.2 is just describing the number of Subs. and you have 2.
I do have surround crossover at 80 the fronts are set at fullband

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis